Ensenada for the day

aricczona

My husband and I will be taking our two kids 7 and 9 to Catalina and Ensenada. We have gone to Ensenada before without the kids and did the wine tour. I am looking on the Carnival site but I do not see any excursions for kids our age in Ensenada. Can anyone reccomend something to do with them while we are there?

I've done the winery tour twice - nice trip, and my father says it is compareable to some he has taken in the Napa Valley area.

Did Blowhole once, we took the shuttle into town, paid about $10 less than those who purchased the tour through the ship. I was on the same shuttle as a tablemate who bought the ship's tour. We each took a different bus to the blowhole, but it was essentially the same tour, similar transportation, same drop point, etc.

A friend did the horseback riding trip through the ship and enjoyed it.

If we ever go again (not by choice) we will do the Fox Studio tour. Ensanada is not one of my favorite tourist towns, would much rather be in Cozumel or Cabo.

I've been on Catalina twice, but just wandered around town near the pier.

Have a great trip.

Thanks, I figured the tours booked through carnival were overpriced on these two ports. If anything I may rent a cart in Catalina, and just do Ensenada on foot. I hope I can remamber all these great suggestions, and thanks again for the replies:)

First time cruiser here counting down to what i hope to be the first of many.I will be cruising with my family on a short 4 day trip on the Elation in January. The itinerary includes stops at Catalina Island and Ensenada Mexico. I have been researching these ports and have had good luck finding ways to occupy our time in Avalon(Catalina), however see very little to do beside the typical tourist trap venues while in Mexico. The ship will be there for a long time on this day and wondered is it even worth getting off the ship? While I do enjoy good Mexican food, there is an added expense to doing that while the ship ofers their fine selections for free. Papas and beer sounds a bit too frat party for my age, although my 20 yr old son would enjoy. Just wondering if there are any hidden treasures worth exploring.

Papas'n'Beer was a giggle, albeit frat party type goings-on. The method of being served a margarita on a young ladies belly was particularly intriguing.:D Even though I'm 70, I was with my 29 year-old son and that truly made a big difference. We had a ball in Ensenada on this only 3-dayer ELATION stop. Will post pics of the Ensenada port call on my webshots below as soon as I can go through them and do a little responsible "editing". :rolleyes:

We're going on the 3 day, Elation, on the 15th of January, and I was just wondering (we are non-drinkers), what kinds of shopping we would find downtown? We don't want to go to the blow hole, but is there shopping downtown as well for tourists?

See you onboard! Lot's of shopping on Ave Lopez.

In Ensenada,

We did a private on ATV tour for $75 bucks for 2 ATV's. The guide took us to a beach area and then up into the mountains to let loose. This took us about 3 hours for the guided tour. Our arms and legs were tired when we got back into town but was worth every penny and minute. We had plenty of time to shop and down a couple of beers. I think we started around 12:30 pm but, reserved our tour around 11am.

Tim

In Ensenada,

We did a private on ATV tour for $75 bucks for 2 ATV's. The guide took us to a beach area and then up into the mountains to let loose. This took us about 3 hours for the guided tour. Our arms and legs were tired when we got back into town but was worth every penny and minute. We had plenty of time to shop and down a couple of beers. I think we started around 12:30 pm but, reserved our tour around 11am.

Tim

where did you book this?

thanks

where did you book this?

thanks

I forgot what the place was called motoextreme or something like that. All you have to do is walk off the ship and walk towards downtown. You cross over the bridge and it will be the first buildings on your left. You will see a ton of ATV and jeeps. You can rent ATV and drive them around or you can have a guided tour. I would say the walking distance is approximately 10 to 15 minutes. If you take the bus into town, you will need to walk back towards the ship and it will be on the right.

I am taking this in March. Ive been to Catalina a zillion times,,no worries. Been to Ensenada but never left the town. What I want to know, for those that have taken the 2 wineries tour (and I need this info for my DW),,will they have useable restrooms. If not, she'd kill me if I stranded her for hours without a couple. I am leaning towards the jeep adventure too,,can't decided which one.

If my mom could go on the 2 winery tour and have no complaints about the facilities, your DW won't either. ;)

In town the clean bathrooms are in McDonalds, upstairs in the Sonrisa store and the jewelry shops Carnival recommends. Also have seen clean bathrooms in the tourista restaurants and at La Bufadora.

I was wondering if the golf carts were worth renting, different posts make it seem that the island is so small it can pretty much be seen on foot. How much area can you cover with an hour rental?

Catalina is actually quite large. You will be in Avalon, the main city on the island. You do not need a golf cart if you are going to stay right in town along the water line. If you want to explore the city more and get some great views, you should rent the cart. We have done it and really had a good time. They give you a map so you make your own tour. Another interesting thing to do is take a tour in to the interior of the island.

Jen in SoCal

I am taking this in March. Ive been to Catalina a zillion times,,no worries. Been to Ensenada but never left the town. What I want to know, for those that have taken the 2 wineries tour (and I need this info for my DW),,will they have useable restrooms. If not, she'd kill me if I stranded her for hours without a couple. I am leaning towards the jeep adventure too,,can't decided which one.

The wineries are very nice.....good wine, good facilities.....

Thanks to EVERYONE, for all the great advice. I am leaving tomorrow and cant wait to start using all the great tips. I've decided to rent the golf cart to explore Catalina, and will simply do Ensenada on foot since i have a very long port day there. Since this is my first cruise, I had so many questions, youve all made this so easy for me:)

Thanks to EVERYONE, for all the great advice. I am leaving tomorrow and cant wait to start using all the great tips. I've decided to rent the golf cart to explore Catalina, and will simply do Ensenada on foot since i have a very long port day there. Since this is my first cruise, I had so many questions, youve all made this so easy for me:)

Have a great Cruise!!!!:)

If you can give a report when you get back it would be appreciated. I leave in 60 something days....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived