Older ladies-What are you wearing?

jaybird from SC

Several of us are in our 60's and early 70's, fairly slim and trim (size 10) and just wondered what other ladies our age will be wearing on formal nights? It's getting harder and harder to find a nice dress that fits well and is "age appropriate". Anybody found any good places to shop? Don't want to look like a teeny bopper but want an updated classic, yet modern look. Thanks

I usually go to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross4Less. I also don't wear long gowns. I usually wear cocktail dresses, or my latest favorite look is a long skirt with a wrap-type shirt/blouse with a long necklace. These days I only wear kitten-heeled or wedged heeled shoes and a small evening bag.

Or Dillards. I don't wear "gowns" per se. I have a maxi black Eileen Fisher sleeveless dress that I pair with a chiffon poncho type thing or a fancy jacket. Or long skirts with dressy tops.

I vote for Dillards too. They have lovely evening separates. Flowy skirts and evening trousers with bejeweled and sequinned tops and jackets. Versatile and reasonably priced and in all size ranges - misses, petites, women's.

I have seen a lot of this style on cruises (and have worn them myself) and the ladies, regardless of age, look quite lovely.

Turning 60 in a month.:(:(:( I'am taking mostly maxi dresses this year. They will be good for most any night I think. I'll save the dressier ones for formal night, and dress them up a little. I've always before worn long gowns, straight, not full, empire type. I have a few velvet=burn out shawls to wear with them. Also this year I have a pair of black palazoo pants, red satin tank with a black and red beaded jacket.

Several of us are in our 60's and early 70's, fairly slim and trim (size 10) and just wondered what other ladies our age will be wearing on formal nights? It's getting harder and harder to find a nice dress that fits well and is "age appropriate". Anybody found any good places to shop? Don't want to look like a teeny bopper but want an updated classic, yet modern look. Thanks

I shop for my formals at the Salvation Army. I'm 63. There are many age-appropriate formals there at prices you can't beat. Just get them cleaned. You could also try local thrift stores.

Formal gowns are the kinds of things most women wear once or at most twice then wouldn't wear again because their social circle has already seen them. Y'all know exactly what I mean. Let some other woman pay the full price.

I will be celebrating my 65th (Medicare?) :eek: cruise in two weeks. My dresses come mostly from Dillards or Macy's -- but I also like Drapers and Damons (they are online if you don't have one near you).;)

On our upcoming 14 day cruise on formal nights -- I will wear 1 floor length gown, 1 knee length black cocktail dress (with an matching shawl) and chiffon pants with a "glitzy" top" in black and white. :)

I'm just under 5 feet and wear a size 4 on the bottom and an 8 on top, so I find getting just the right clothes with a good fit a real challenge. :confused:

My biggest problem is "old age saggy arms" (Damn!) -- therefore, I do NOT wear sleveless -- a shawl or evening wrap/top is ALWAYS a requirement for me. But since I'm from Arizona (and do not do well with Air Conditioning)--that serves a dual purpose--I can keep warm in the Air conditioning.:p

"Mother of the Bride" dresses will work. Some of those though, are too frumpy even for 70 year olds. But I bet at Dillards or Macys, you could find a couple that are still attractive.

I am in my mid fiftes-and I go more for the more mature look myself, My cleavage not so good anymore, nor my legs and elbows, I retain fluids very badly now because of my meds, and I don't have the option of going with out the meds. I do seem to always find something halfway attractive at Dillards.

I was always pleased at how well my arms looked - even after 66 - no waddles or "bat wings". Then a few years ago, I looked and was horrified. Still no waddles, but my skin sagged. I gave up sleeveless dresses then and there. I gave them all away except my fav black long Ellen Tracy dress with the low V back and the slide slit up to the thigh with the rhinestone buttons up the rest of the way. It had been my most flattering dress I owned. It even hid my tummy. I could wear it with a jacket but it would lose a lot. I'm thinking I should bit the bullet and take it to the Bargain Box so I can make room in my closet. It's not like I don't have lots of other choices.

I was always pleased at how well my arms looked - even after 66 - no waddles or "bat wings". Then a few years ago, I looked and was horrified. Still no waddles, but my skin sagged. I gave up sleeveless dresses then and there. I gave them all away except my fav black long Ellen Tracy dress with the low V back and the slide slit up to the thigh with the rhinestone buttons up the rest of the way. It had been my most flattering dress I owned. It even hid my tummy. I could wear it with a jacket but it would lose a lot. I'm thinking I should bit the bullet and take it to the Bargain Box so I can make room in my closet. It's not like I don't have lots of other choices.

I am too puffy to sag. What I hate the most though is my crepy elbows and neck. I have to hide those.

Palmetto Lady, noticed you are from SC. We are cruising Nov. 16 on the Millennium and are three couples from upstate South Carolina (Seneca to be exact).

Talking about what older ladies wear, I found a gold and black lace "twinset" scoop necked tank top (but not very low-very modest, good coverage for my creppy chest, only a hint of cleavage showing) and jacket made by RM Richards in Ross today. I have a black formal skirt, and I also have a black silk chiffon skirt that hits about mid calf, that has a "salsa" look. I imagine I will wear this top with one of these skirts my next cruise. It would also look well with black dress slacks.

As one gal posted here as a hint-I will moisture my chest and neck area very well, as this helps to camouflage the creppyness. I have tried this hint-and it does work!

I'm pushing 70....and love to cruise...love to dress up too.....however.....

I hate to shop. I've never, ever been a clothes horse and never buy anything because it's "trendy".

I only shop when I NEED something....and, if I find what I like, I'll buy one in every color - and wear them until it would be embarassing to be seen in public...then I wear them around the house.:D

I haven't worn a dress since New Years Eve, 1976. I was a lovely floor length emerald green gown, velvet, trimmed with gold ribbon (and, had an "empire waist"...remember those?). I was the only girl in a family of 6 boys and was raised in "levis" and flannel shirts passed down the line....I have always been more comfortable in "pants"....... Finally, when the dress length fell to the "midi" after being "mini" for so many years, I decided the new look made me look like a babushka...so I rejected dresses and skirts at that time.....

For those dressy occasions onboard....and I do like to dress....I have 2/3 pair of wonderfully comfortable black dressy slacks and a selection of equally dressy tops in lovely colors, some filmy and beautifully feminine, some more tailored..... I don't know exactly what "kitten heels" are as referred to by another poster, but my dress shoes are FLAT heeled plain black pumps. 40 years of wearing 3" high heels has done a number on my legs, ankles, hips and just about everything else....and I'll never wear a heel again.e I love colorful accessories and pretty flowing scarves as access pieces and a tiny little beaded bag with a gold shoulder strap.

For other nights in the dining room, dark or black slacks and a nice blouse with or without a summr weight short sleeve jacket (and those lovely pumps) will do it.

I mix and match, being a very light packer, and just about everything can be worn with something else....and usually can get 2 wearings out of most.

I've shopped at the same store for 20 years, never have to try on a thing...the size on the tag fits....and that's good..I hate all that "trying on" stuff.

As for those interesting underarm problems we seem to get, no matter what we do; I say to hell with it........I've lived long enough to HAVE them....lots of folks don't......

Buckle up, Buttercup.

Archived