Seasick Medication

doublebzz

Like others I have sea sickness. I have tried dramamine, bonine, the patch, the band and even the shot. Too tired from dramamine, bonine worked ok. Had side effects from the patch and bands didn't really help.

It use to be that my husband could count on a free day for him and, the good fact was I never gained weight on a cruise.

Last cruise I tried the ginger pills and they worked just fine. My husband never got his free day on that cruise. I have my supply ready for my next cruise.

Nothing worse than feeling sick or being sick and ruin a wonderful vacation.

Here's good health to all!

Kathy;)

I just checked with the source and have all the details now. The two ladies just got off the Crown Princess Northern TransAtlantic and are prone to seasickness. On board they purchased a nose spray called Quese-ease and said it was extrenely effective. I couldn't find it in CVS or Walgreens so maybe it is only sold aboard cruise ships.

I did buy a product called Motioneaze which are drops you place behind the ear. No idea if this works but wife will give it try next week. What I find works best for wife's seasickness is a winning streak at the craps table, however.

buy the seabands. My mom used to get sea sick the minute she got on the ship. She tried the seabands and never gets sea sick. She even watch the waves pounded the ship when we went across the Bering Sea.

Shelley

B

• 2 weeks later...
Like others I have sea sickness. I have tried dramamine, bonine, the patch, the band and even the shot. Too tired from dramamine, bonine worked ok. Had side effects from the patch and bands didn't really help.

It use to be that my husband could count on a free day for him and, the good fact was I never gained weight on a cruise.

Last cruise I tried the ginger pills and they worked just fine. My husband never got his free day on that cruise. I have my supply ready for my next cruise.

Nothing worse than feeling sick or being sick and ruin a wonderful vacation.

Here's good health to all!

Kathy;)

Another vote for the ginger treatment. My wife gets seasick too and we just got off the Triumph where she used them on days the sea was rough and she had no issues. They worked well. :)

When we were on a cruise through the Panama Canal we hit really rough waters for almost 18 hours. Everyone was sick and I never get seasick. Our room steward had a jar of Tiger Balm and told us to rub some on our stomach, rub some behind each ear and put some under our nose to sniff. This did help, it must have camphor in it. When I got home I looked all over for it and found it in Walmart and also in some Dollar Stores, it is very inexpensive and comes in a little round jar. I carry it with me now all the time when I go on a cruise.

It may not work for everyone but it sure helped us.

Joyce

I was told green apples are terrific to stop sea sickness. My friend said years ago the ship had them sitting out on the buffets and that people took them to stop being sick. Have you ever heard of this before? I have used ear patches but I don't know what is in them. They worked wonderfully for me as I really do get motion sickness. I even have to be careful walking against the way the boat is sailing...I try not to look out a window too much when I am doing that lol.

We had rough seas on a recent cruise and I had to go back to our cabin. Our room steward followed us into our cabin, picked up the phone and ordered a green apple, dry toast and black tea. She said it is what many of the crew do when seasick. It worked!! On other cruises I have tried the patch behind the ear and ginger and have to say the green apples worked just as well if not better.

I haven't seen Quese-ease in any local drug stores, but it is available from drugstore.com for $14.99. I got seasick once. It was on a cruise leaving Seattle for Alaska. I honestly thought I was going to die and I would have paid almost any amount of money to get off the ship. My husband went down to the store on board the ship and bought Sailors Secret which are ginger capsules. I have never gotten seasick again and I have been in waters that were far more rough than the cruise out of Seattle.

I start taking them the day before the cruise and then on the morning of embarkation I start popping them like skittles. I usually stop taking them by day 3. I am definitely going to buy the Quese-ease for our trip to Hawaii out of L/A. I am somewhat concerned about this trip and the effectiveness of the ginger.

I rarely post, but feel compelled as I read all the threads about motion sickness and this is never mentioned, or if it is I missed it, so forgive me for being repetitious. The reason different people have different responses from certain remedies is related to what causes your motion sickness to begin with. The common belief seems to be that it's caused by mixed signals to your brain, from both your inner ear and your eyes. Your eyes see movement, your inner ear feels movement, you get sick when they don't coincide or something like that. I don't really get it, but having suffered my whole life I have a pretty good idea of what works. At least for me.

Products like bonine and dramamine are antihistimes. They work because they dry up excess fluid in the inner ear. If you are prone to this, then you should also try to avoid those things that create the excess fluid. For me this would be anything that I am allergic to that would cause congestion. The best time to take them would be before you go to bed, if you are going to take them in the daytime then take them with food. This seems to help with the drowsiness.

The eye thing is something I don't understand, but I do know I can't even play a lot of video games. Keeping the inner ear clear seems to help for this as well, though I'm not sure why.

Some people feel nauseous and that's all they ever feel, so that the ginger products work great for them.

I would like to try the Quese-ease. I have tried the Motion-ease and found it didn't work for me.

As someone else said, find what works for you and stick with it.

When we were on a cruise through the Panama Canal we hit really rough waters for almost 18 hours. Everyone was sick and I never get seasick. Our room steward had a jar of Tiger Balm and told us to rub some on our stomach, rub some behind each ear and put some under our nose to sniff. This did help, it must have camphor in it. When I got home I looked all over for it and found it in Walmart and also in some Dollar Stores, it is very inexpensive and comes in a little round jar. I carry it with me now all the time when I go on a cruise.

It may not work for everyone but it sure helped us.

Joyce

That sounds like our cruise too. Were U on the Island in Feb. of this yr?

I just looked up Motionease and QueaseEase. They both contain essential oils know for having a calming effect. (Lavender, camomille). Probably why MotionEase didn't work for me is because it does nothing for the congestion in the inner ear.

Sorry to sound like such a know-it-all. On my last cruise we took a whale watching tour on a small boat. The seas were rough, and even though I had followed all my own advice, I ended up with my head in the trash can. Anyway, this subject is so interesting to me, because I love to cruise and getting sick is not an option. Guess I just need to stay off of small boats in rough waters. And there were no whales anyway.

That sounds like our cruise too. Were U on the Island in Feb. of this yr?

It was on the Island but not February, it was a few years ago. Maybe the little room stewardess was still working there.

Some friends of ours just came off the Crown Princess where the ship's store sold some seasick medication that you sniff. They claim it was far more effective, with no side effects, than typical dramamine products. They don't recall the name of the product and my pharmacist isn't knowledeable. Can anybody out there help?

Get some bonine or drammine! Everything else out there is crap!

It was on the Island but not February, it was a few years ago. Maybe the little room stewardess was still working there.

I didn't know toger balm could be used like that. This time we took ginger capsules and they worked really well. I took one last night as something I ate upset my stomach and it worked like a charm.

My Doctor gives me a RX for Transderm Scop Patches. You place them behind your ear and you change them every 2-3 days. For me they work great. Although the side effects are drowsiness and blurred vision. I have never had a problem but everyone is different. Happy Cruising :)

Archived