How does CCL assign dinnermates?

sylvasta

They seat people according to attractiveness.

bahahaha. :)

My PVP told me they seat you with people similar to you in age, single/couple, etc. Which was comforting to me. I'm cruising for the first time by myself this spring and I'm really hoping to make some new friends :)

Like many - we have experienced hit & miss with our table mates. I was surprised to hear they would put people with no children at the same table with families. I have nothing against children (I even have a couple;)) but when on vacation I choose not to share my time with them.:eek:

After many years of owning a B&B where breakfast was at one large table DH & I have become proficient at ending those awkward silent moments or redirecting a conversation that was headed into "uncomfortable" waters. Some people just need a little help coming out of their shells but once cracked a lovely personality comes pouring out!

On our 12 night cruise on the Freedom last year, we asked for and received a table for 2 without a problem. I was willing to grease a palm or two if necessary, (worth it to us since it makes the cruise so much more enjoyable) but it wasn't an issue. At the end of the cruise we gave the Maitre d' a good tip.

The worst situation is when you are seated at a large table where everyone knows each other and you fill in on the last 2 empty seats. We had that happen once on the Destiny. The table for 10 had 8 teenagers and us, (in our 40's at the time) we lasted one night and than got a booth for four with a couple that didn't speak English. :mad: I guess they felt as awkard as we did and they never came back to the booth. We enjoyed the rest of the cruise as a twosome in a nice sized booth.:)

Unless we are traveling with a group we know we always ask for and get a table for 2. Hasn't been a problem on any line we have traveled on.

We traveled years ago on much smaller ships, it was an art for the Maitre d' to seat like types together - singles all at the same table, couples of like age at another. Today with 3000 passengers it next to impossible to get a good match, if it happens it's more by luck than by design.

We had very memorable table mates a few cruises back. It was my family of 4 sitting with another family of 4. Now we are a very happy go lucky fun loving family. The other family basically only spoke through the father. Every dinner he would tell us how much he hated his family, work and life and if he could end it all he would. Made for a very interesting cruise. Guess we should of asked to be moved but the dining room was booked and I hate making waves......so to speak.

Probably made your kids appreciate their parents a little more...even if they never said it.

Like many - we have experienced hit & miss with our table mates. I was surprised to hear they would put people with no children at the same table with families. I have nothing against children (I even have a couple;)) but when on vacation I choose not to share my time with them.:eek:

After many years of owning a B&B where breakfast was at one large table DH & I have become proficient at ending those awkward silent moments or redirecting a conversation that was headed into "uncomfortable" waters. Some people just need a little help coming out of their shells but once cracked a lovely personality comes pouring out!

The only shells I want to crack on vacation are on crustaceans. :D

Our previous cruise was 16 years ago. In between we have done a multitude of land-based all-inclusives. My favorite was Sandals, where we could interact as much or as little with other people as we wanted to. Least favorite was Club Med, which was a wildly overpriced summer camp, right down to the all buffet all the time food.

It will be interesting to see what cruising is like nowadays.

We've only been on two cruises but were seated at a 4 top (as a family of 4) each time. Withe the crazy schedule teens have, we've very much enjoyed the "family dinner" concept for 7 (or 8) nights. Certainly like being social but have enjoyed the time together. Specifically asked for it this time.

When we cruised on Miracle last October it was for our honeymoon, so we requested a table for two. It was a good choice because the two of us really just needed the time away together after the almost year and a half of stress and planning, etc. Luckily though, it was actually a table for four, set up for two. There was a large half circle booth towards the back of the dining room by the windows with small tables and two chairs on the opposite side of the booth and then one large round table to fill out the hole created by the half circle. The couple sitting at the table directly next to us were also sitting by themselves, and we would say hello and have short conversations during dinner. It was perfect because we would talk about our day, the ports, home life, etc. but when our food came we were back to our "two" person table without the pressure of having to conversate and entertain. It was a great set up.

On the Paradise in February we also requested a table for two because it was such a short cruise (3 nights in dining room). Hilariously enough, our table for two was right next to a long table for eight filled with the loudest most entertaining group ever. We got such a kick out of eavesdropping (which wasn't hard to do at all) on their dinner conversations and stories. It was a hoot. BUT - just to see, I walked by the table that we were supposed to be at originally... ALL WOMEN!!!!!!! My husband would have died. It would have been five women and my husband.

On our Freedom cruise coming up in a few weeks, we actually booked this cruise with two couples that we met through the roll call on the Miracle last year. So, the six of us will be at a table together. Very excited about that.

Now we get along with everyone. We're army brats and have met and lived most every corner of culture in the world. However, our last cruise was a miss for dinner conversation on the Legend. A couple yrs back it was the three of us, My Wife, Daughter and Me. We were at our own table the first night and it was just perfect. The next night we were moved to a larger table and were placed with a larger family. They were from Jersey and had an heavy "old country" accent (no offence to Jersey folk as we have relatives there :D). He asked me what happened to the family that they sat with yesterday. After a few Min of conversation I reflected that question and told my wife that they most likely got our table. I just knew we were in trouble. This guy complained about Carnival having the Gaul to ask for tipping, most every dish he got was sent back and talk about complaining about nothing. Luckily his wife was not Debbie Downer but he dominated every conversation louldly. Thank goodness we planned a supper club to break up the Week. Fortunately it was not enough to mess up our trip or ask for another table as the rest of the cruise was marvelous but we never made pen pals. Our Victory Valentine cruise went anytime dinning but we will do a set time as there cannot be another guy like this one :p But just in case, is the anytime dinning seating random?

Does anyone have any idea how the dining room seating is decided on Carnival?

So far, it's only been DH and myself cruising together. Our first cruise, we had a table for 2 (and that was at our request since we were new to cruising and had no idea what to expect). Our second and third CCL cruises, we had a table for 4 that we shared with another couple. Our last cruise, we also were originally supposed to sit at another table for 4 with another couple, but we decided we wanted to try for a bigger table and meet more people. Sometimes, it gets pretty awkward when you start running out of things to talk about with the other couple when you are a table for 4. Also, we never seem to be around the same age as our tablemates (DH and I are both 36 and we seem to always be seated with a couple 20 years our senior.)

All of our tablemates have been fine, but this last time on the Freedom (the one we asked for a bigger table) we had the best tablemates of all time. There were two other slightly younger cou ples and we all hit it off just great!

So, to sum up my question, I wonder why Carnival always seems to assign us to a table with one other couple-what is their criteria for that?

Our last cruise....Carnival was just on point....we met a couple that was close to our age....our children about the same age....and we enjoyed each other's company....we didn't hang together, but if we were going to the nightclub...we went together....if we saw each other at karoake...we sat together....we are going to try to get together on land.....

:p But just in case, is the anytime dinning seating random?

I would love to know more about anytime dining - as a first time cruising family that is what we signed up for. Just figured it would give us the freedom to do what we wanted, when we wanted. Now, reading everyone's replies I wonder if we should pick a time & hope for a similar family to meet up with.

I am hoping anytime dining just means you go in, put your name on some sort of list & get placed with a similar group if available. Does seem like alot of work for the staff but it would make dining less stressful as to the table mates

I am hoping anytime dining just means you go in, put your name on some sort of list & get placed with a similar group if available. Does seem like alot of work for the staff but it would make dining less stressful as to the table mates
You go in and either sit with just your own party or agree to sit with others. Not sure they will try and find a compatible group, I think they're just making the numbers work.

If you want your own table and have to wait, they give you a pager. I have heard if you sit with others, the waiters won't take your orders until the table is full.

On our last cruise on the Spirit, we were seated with another couple who couldn't speak English! Okay, so that wasn't going to fly, so we asked to be moved to a bigger table. Not a problem,and we were seated with 2 other couples and we had a great time. This time around, I asked to be seated at a table for 6 people. I have no idea how Carnival does the seating arrangements, but if you're not happy, just ask to be moved, I am sure they go through this with every cruise.

BTW, that's the one thing that I worry about the most on a cruise, is our table mates and getting along. DH enjoys talking about guns, ammo, and politics!

My sister and I went on a cruise together and we were seated with two couples, both gay. I think they (carnival) thought we were gay.

Too funny - last cruise my gf and I met up on a cruise - she is a very good friend from my high school days - we are both married and have kids - but left them at home to fend for themselves.

So we are seated at a table for 8 - first night we meet a 'female' couple, yes they were gay (doesn't bother either of us tho).....3rd night another 'female' couple appears (they had been eating at the buffet)....also gay! We all had a blast together and I would presume that others may have thought my high school friend and I were also gay - as we were seated at that 'special' table !! :D:D (I am still in touch with one of the couples and would not hesitate to cruise with them again).

I wish there was an optional brief questionnaire you could fill out on Carnival's website to assist the existing computer program in assigning tablemates. Things like religious affiliation, drinking habits, etc. I know it's not practical and would probably anger some people, but it WOULD help in matching people up better for tables. We've been seated with people who I am certain we scared the HELL out of before, once we get to drinking and running our mouths.

I wish there was an optional brief questionnaire you could fill out on Carnival's website to assist the existing computer program in assigning tablemates. Things like religious affiliation, drinking habits, etc. I know it's not practical and would probably anger some people, but it WOULD help in matching people up better for tables. We've been seated with people who I am certain we scared the HELL out of before, once we get to drinking and running our mouths.

I def. think you're on to something. The solution to angering people is make the questioneer optional. Do nothing, sit with people who also did nothing. Fill it out and get matched with other who you were "matched" to.

We've been on 7 cruises total so far. On 2 of our cruises, my family took up 1 table so we were all together. Then on our honeymoon, we were paired with another couple, celebrating their spring break, around our age which we hung out with the rest of the cruise. Too bad we didn't exchange information to keep in touch. 2 other cruises, we had friends with us - once we had a table for the 4 of us, the other time we were seated at a large table, but I think they all moved. Fine by me, we got the table to ourselves. Our last one, we were paired with a couple that were a little bit older but we had nice conversation and such, so it wasn't bad. I just can't remember who we sat with on our 1 year anniversary! Oh well!

I hope this next one, we're grouped with people our age and things in common. If not, I may be asking to be seated at another table or alone.

Carnival should ask whether you want a large or small table along with dining time request.We always check the table assigned when we board and change to a large table if at a table for just 4.With more you are more likely to have some ongoing conversation.We had a booth for 4 assigned last cruise and changed before first dinner to a table for 6, only thing was the other two couples were 30 years older.They were nice enough, just VERY quiet.We had dinner on shore one evening and supper club another. They did get quite a kick out of DW and me dancing in the conga line.Crazy young 50 year olds :rolleyes: We would have really preferred an even larger table, but I just couldn't imagine sitting across from someone in a booth that you don't click with.

Archived