Snorkeling in Cartagena & Santa Marta

KY Transplant

For snorkeling in Cartagena you would have to head to Isla Baru. Havn't been there but have heard it is good. If this is your first time in Cartagena, I wouldn't waste your time snorkling when there is so much history to see that is easier to get to.

For snorkeling in Santa Marta, there are several places you could head to. We have snorkeled in Taganga, Villa Concha, and Playa Blanca.

Taganga is the best for snorkling IMO but the other two offer a nicer beach and more facilities. Once in Tagana, take a launcha (small boat) or go on a little hike to get to beaches where you can enter to snorkel. It is a scenic area with tall cactus, right next to the ocean.

Villa Concha is more difficult to get so if you don't know Spanish and see an excursion to this area, that is the best way to get there. The thing I liked about this beach is there are hundreds of sand dollars in the water there. The best snorkeling is too the far right when you arrive,

To get to Playa Blanca, you have to take go to Rodadero and then take a Launcha (small boat) to Playa Blanca. It is a busy beach depending on what day and season you go. There are water spot activities offered and many restaurants were you can enjoy cheap beer and fully cooked fish. There are a few different spots to see fish at this beach, you will see the diving schools.

I don't have much experience with snorkeling so can't tell you how it compares to other places but it is very enjoyable. Tons of beautiful fish! I've only snorkeled in Colombia and Hawaii.

• 2 months later...

I havn't done the tour but went on my own and camped there for a few nights. The park is incredible and huge. Not sure which area of the park that the tour takes you to but the areas that we visited were incredible and would highly recommend no matter what the cost is. Just be aware that there are very few places that you can actually swim in the sea in the park. The undertoe is too strong.

Archived