Omaha to New Orleans

BottledRed

I've been running air travel prices and I'm trying to determine what would be a reasonable air price from Omaha, NE to New Orleans, LA. Since I normally fly for business (and price isn't an issue :) ), I'm at a loss. It's our wedding/honeymoon flights from early Sept 14 to afternoon/evening Sept 25.

Today I ran two searches:

Expedia has a $618.60 price for 2 people

Hotwire has a $574 price for 2 people

Looking for opinions...will prices continue to drop? Ideally, I'd like to pay $500 for the two of us if possible. Any chance that will happen, or should I book now?

• 3 months later...

Get on it TODAY. I'm looking at the same itinerary, different dates. Been seeing roughly $315 on a consistent basis, with NWA being the leader. Bought about 3 weeks ago at $265, thinking we had seen it go as low as it would go. Today I found the same booking for $217.

BottledRed is certainly correct on pricing and I would suspect that it is due to the "Southwest effect". Although not a good barometer of the absolute lowest fare, since it includes both leisure and business fares as well as coach and first class fares, FareReport.com (http://www.farereport.com/NE/Omaha_NE_New_Orleans_LA.html) gives an average one-way fare of $161 between Omaha and New Orleans, but only $99 between Kansas City and New Orleans. (The relative difference should be a good reflection of the 2 different airports, however.) From the Southwest website, the lowest one-way fare between these 2 cities is $94 (assuming that it is not sold out).

Bottled Red

Check out Midwest Express from Kansas City to New Orleans-they fly non-stop and did have some great round-trip prices.

Yup! I just did a search this evening and their round trip has dropped from over $500 for 2 down to $333 for 2 this week!!! I'm buying as soon as my paycheck arrives Friday am!!! :D

Archived