Verizon in Canada

tutorjoan

How would I go about getting short term cell phone service in Canada so I don't have to pay roaming charges? What is the charge for calling the US from Canada?

Calling with a cel phone is expensive for long distance. Verizon unfortunately use CDMA phones, and their partner here in Canada is Telus (west) or Bell (east). You can buy Pay as you go phones at places like 7-11, but long distance will kill you.

Your best bet is to stick to pay phones and phone cards (available just about anywhere)

I am not 100% sure what you mean in your post but when I called Verizon (we leave on the Crown Princess 10/13), they said that our phones will work the entire time in all ports (New England and Canada). All we had to do was tell them to "unblock the international calling feature" and we did that over the phone with them that day (didn't cost anything). I forgot the exact prices but it wasn't that bad IF we were on land. If we called from the ship, they said that the ship would add fees. I am wondering why we are getting conflicting information. Has anyone actually used their Verizon phone in Canada? Any problems?

My husband and I just returned from a Canada/New England cruise and we both have Verizon. We were able to make and receive calls with no problems, HOWEVER, neither of us could access our voice-mail until we were out of Canada. I never did figure out how to fix it so the best I can offer is just a heads up!

I do not recall the details but for a couple of bucks we changed our cell phone plan to include Canada for a month. I think that brought the charges per minute way down. However if we are in Alaska and have not done that we are careful not to be connecting to a tower in Canada.

I just got off the phone with Verizon. They said $0.69 per minute, txt and data are included with your plan. They also said no need to turn on international calling because Canada is on the same network. I guess I'll see when I get home and get the bill. :D

Archived