Kira-Mar Waterfront Villas and Docks? (Fort Lauderdale)

Olwyn

Hi Everyone!

We have a 2 night stay booked at the DoubleTree Gallery One pre-cruise, starting on January 29th 2010.

I have just discovered the Kira-Mar property is number one on Trip Advisor, and they are also available for those dates. A family run business that gets excellent reviews.

Has anyone stayed here, or can compare the two properties?

I have to cancel one..but which one??

Thanks so much.

Olwyn

I cant telll you anything about the Kira-Mar but we have stayed at the Gallery One both pre and post cruises. We really enjoyed staying there and the suites are wonderful. Located on the intercoastal waterway with the water taxi stop out the back door. About 3 blocks across the bridge to the beach. Next door to the Galleria Mall which is very nice and hassome great restaurants. Across the street is a CVS drugstore. A nice pool area and also a small self made beach area on the waterway to relax and watch the yachts go by. If you decide to stay there I think you will enjoy it.

This is like comparing apples and broccoli! If the reviews are good, go by the lifestyle that fits for you.

Gallery One is right on the intracoastal waterway, is a full service hotel with bar and restaurant, and has recent furnishings. It is a few blocks from the beach and is right next to a shopping mall, CVS, and upscale and moderate chain restaurants. A few blocks further takes you to Gateway plaza, where you will find some boutiques and a few good ethnic restaurants.

Kira-Mar is located within a reasonable walking distance to Las Olas shopping and dining (no drug stores or grocery to buy things to cook in the kitchen, unless you have a car). It is only blocks from Las Olas, but it would be about a six block walk to any shops. It looks like an old apartment building converted to a mini suite hotel, with older furniture. The street is residential, mostly multi-unit apartments and condos, located on a canal.

Thanks for all your input! We have booked 3 one bedroom suites at Kira Mar because the price was so good and we like the Number One rating at Trip Advisor. We are unsure about the rental car...but based on your review...it might be a good idea!

I really wanted the DoubleTree...but we need a separate room for my sister and brother in law...and at $299 for a night, that is a bit steep. A shame.

Hopefully it is nice, and updated.

Olwyn

Thanks for all your input! We have booked 3 one bedroom suites at Kira Mar because the price was so good and we like the Number One rating at Trip Advisor. We are unsure about the rental car...but based on your review...it might be a good idea!

Olwyn

If you're staying there you'll absolutely want a rental car! It's a residential area and while it's walkable to Las Olas or the beach, it's a long walk.

I have never been in Kira Mar, and it may very well be a wonderful place, but from the outside it just looks like a tired old apartment building. Don't put all your stock into Trip Advisor ratings though, especially when it's a small 1 or 2-star mom & pop place like this that came out of nowhere to be "#1" all of a sudden. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it has been known in the past that owners, friends, relatives, employees, etc. etc. post their own "reviews" of these small places no one has ever heard of to get business.

Archived