Portland: all day car tour...where can we go for best scenery?

ThreeSisters

The three of us are considering renting a car in Portland and taking a drive around the countryside while in port. Besides Kennebunkport, where could we go to get an overview of the area, the countryside, and the changing leaves?

Is it true that you can't go inside the lighthouses? If not, can we see them from the ship as we pull in/out of harbor? Should we make it a point to drive to them?

Two of us are not seafood lovers, so restaurants are not very important and neither is shopping. We haven't been to this part of the country and want to see all we can in one day. We are aware that Hertz is the only car company that rents on Sundays.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Marilyn

Hi, I live in Portland. Yes, you will see Portland Head light and Two Lights coming and going from port. Be sure to stay on deck at night to see Portland Head Light. About 20 min from when you depart. On right. Can't miss it. That said, I'd go west from Portland and head to Sebago Lake (Windham and beyond on Route 302) area for leaf peeping. You could also go up Route 1 to Freeport for shopping and/or go beyond to Bailey's Island. Google it.

As far as lobster goes, eat at Gilbert's on Commercial St. about a 5 min walk from dock. There are a ton of places to eat lobster. Have fun. Maggie AKA Donder1

The leaves are just beginning to turn. The colors are magnificent this year due to a very rainy summer here. I'd say "peek" around Sebago will be in about a week or two from today. Google: leaf peeping, and Yankee.com. There are web sites that follow the turning of leaves in every region of New England.

Bring a warm jacket. It's been in the 40's at night and 50's during the day. You didn't say when you will be here, I believe. If you will be here next week, I'd suggest going up 302 to Fryeburg Fair. Approx. 1 hour drive from Portland. Again, Google it. Best country fair in Maine, by far.

Donder 1,

We will be in Portland Sunday, October 18. I'm so glad to hear that we are going to hit peak season for the leaves. That's one of the main reasons we are coming. I guess we will be a week late for the Fair.

Thanks again for your help.

Marilyn

Archived