HELP! First time cruiser leaving from POM.. ??? Accomodations

newbie2009

We are crusing for the first time. We will be leaving from Miami and spending one night in Miami on the way to the crusie and on the way back. We would like to spend the night somewhere nice....we aren't going to pick a hotel just because it has shuttle service this time.

I have never been to Miami before and would love some help...

I've been bidding on priceline and obviously we will be cabbing if there is no shuttle service.

Basically we would like a nice hotel but not too far from the pier or airport that a cab ride woudlnt be affordable. We are curently looking at the airport area, downtown area and south beach area. ANyone know how much a taxi to the pier and the airport would cost to these areas?

Airport area-

pros- you may get a free shuttle to the hotel, inexpensive hotels

cons- Absolutely nothing to do, you have to take a taxi everywhere

Downtown-

pros-$20-25 taxi ride, <$10 to port, Bayside(if you like it) It has restaurants, shopping, live music and some boat rides(there are some on this board who don't like it, remember, some say potatoe some say potato), CVS and Walgreens closeby, Recommended hotels-Intercontinental, but if you're on a budget, the HI-POM is fine

Cons- Nothing else to really do, there are vagrants/hobos walking around and some find that uncomfortable. Not alot, but don't be surprised to see 1 or 2.

South Beach-

Pros- It's South Beach, enough said. Clubs, restaurants, beach and shopping. Courtyard South Beach and Surfcomber seem to popular hotels that won't break the bank.

Cons- Expensive, cost a bit more to get to and get to the port, not much though.

Other areas- Coconut Grove/Coral Gables- Very nice and you can find a hotel for under $150, shopping and food at Cocowalk

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables and it was very nice. Had room service the first night, wonderful food. Ate in the dining room for breakfast. Didn't get to see much of the area. We walked to a Publix grocery store in the morning before our cruise to pick up soda/water. I would stay there again. We bid on priceline and got it.

Winter cruise 2010 we bid on priceline and got the Mayfair Hotel & Spa in Coconut Grove. There's lots of places to dine/shop within walking distance. Neat area.

Good luck,

mjb

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables and it was very nice. Had room service the first night, wonderful food. Ate in the dining room for breakfast. Didn't get to see much of the area. We walked to a Publix grocery store in the morning before our cruise to pick up soda/water. I would stay there again. We bid on priceline and got it.

What zone did you bid to get the Hyatt Coral Gables? And what star level? I'm totally unfamiliar with the Miami area. Thx. :)

What zone did you bid to get the Hyatt Coral Gables? And what star level? I'm totally unfamiliar with the Miami area. Thx. :)

Coral Gables 4-star

Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, or South Beach are the best areas to be in Miami, and are not far from the Port of Miami making taxis quite reasonable.

I would never bid less than 4-star, and you'll get a decent hotel

Archived