Prague,Vienna and Budapest

Bojangles

We will be taking our first river cruise, the summer of 2010. We would like to see these three citys on the cruise. I have found both Avalon and AMA waterways have these on the one cruise. We would either start in Prague with a bus to the boat or vice versa start in Budapest with bus to Prague. Does anyone have any experience on either cruise. Thank you Donna

We did a Danube cruise with Avalon, and loved every minute. We started with 3 days in Budapest and ended with 3 days in Prague. Avalon met all our expectations and would have no problem traveling with them again.

We did a Danube cruise with AMA, and loved every minute. We started in Budapest and ended with 3 days in Prague. AMA met all our expectations and would have no problem traveling with them again.

I thought the food very good and the free wine excellent. The provided tours where very good.

Looking forward to going on another AMA cruise.

Hi Bojangles,

Those three cities are the reason I took the AMA Danube Discovery cruise this year. Just an outstanding experience in every way. I can't recommend AMA highly enough. I haven't cruised Avalon, so I can't comment on them, although people do speak highly of them. You can read about our wonderful Danube River experience and see lots of photos in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com . I remember when looking at the intineraries coming from Prague rather than from Budapest that there was city missing that I wanted to see; but I don't remember which one. You will have a great time in some great cities. Enjoy!

Hi -

We are doing the AMA Budapest - Prague --> leaving in 2 days. I will be posting when I get back...

You can do this with Uniworld - although you would need to do extensions on both ends. If you did Enchanting Danube - and started the Uniworld pre-cruise in Prague, you could do Budapest on your own at the other end. There are lots of postings here re: hotels etc. The biggest drawback with the Uniworld cruise (and this is only my opinion...) is that they have dropped Bratislava for 2010, and that stop was important to us. On the other hand, there is extra time in Vienna - which many people have indicated is a huge bonus....

Have fun planning!!!

We will be taking our first river cruise, the summer of 2010. We would like to see these three citys on the cruise. I have found both Avalon and AMA waterways have these on the one cruise. We would either start in Prague with a bus to the boat or vice versa start in Budapest with bus to Prague. Does anyone have any experience on either cruise. Thank you Donna

We did these three cities last spring, with part of the trip on Uniworld's Empress. Great ship, nice cabin, good food, friendly people. We had been on a land trip for a week before with Insight so that gave us much more time in each of those three places. It's never enough.

Mickie

Hi Bojangles,

We just returned from Avalon's MS Tranquility. Our 20 day vacation started in Prague for 3 days, travelled down the Danube so took in Vienna and Budapest and ended in Bucharest. We visited many other towns as well. We could not have been more pleased with the entire trip, riverboat, crew and weather. All fantastic! The wine included with dinner certainly was a pleasure as well.

The MS Tranquility can be taken from Paris to Budepest for a shorter vacation or Budepest to Bucharest. We loved Prague and are glad we had the 3 days there at the beginning of the trip.

Neta

just returned from Avalon's Tapestry - Budapest to Prague. We sailed UP the Danube and thought it was a great way to go (up instead of down). The only down side was the 3.5-4 hour transfer from the ship in Nuremburg to Prague. It was fabulous. only negative was my pillow was kinda flat! Now how's that for how fabulous it was?! More will be posted later; just returned and still many emails to sift through plus a bucket of snail mail and bills to pay, clothes to wash, etc.

Jaybell,

Thanks for posting your review. It sounds like you also had a wonderful time. Vienna is such a beautiful and interesting city. We also would have liked to have more time there. We will go back for a land tour to this area one day and really get acquainted with Vienna.

Archived