RC hidden costs compared to Carnival?

kdinkus1

This is not true.........no extra charge for hamburgers and fries

If you want a fresh hamburger on RCCL like you get on Carnival, you must go to JR and pay for it.

Of, you can go to the WJ and take one of the hockey pucks sitting in grease under the warmer. Those are FREE! Buns are separate, but free also.

Test: The sky is blue.

If you want a fresh hamburger on RCCL like you get on Carnival, you must go to JR and pay for it.

Of, you can go to the WJ and take one of the hockey pucks sitting in grease under the warmer. Those are FREE! Buns are separate, but free also.

NO ITS NOT!! On my last Carnival cruise....it was a burnt sienna!!

Are we in High School? Mine is bigger then yours......

Good grief.....I corrected his mis information.......

Our fresh squeezed orange juice, soft serve yogurt and burgers and fries were enjoyed at no extra charge ......except for the night we decided to eat an JR for dinner one night we paid a surcharge which was optional:rolleyes:

No hidden charges there.........

Are we in High School? Mine is bigger then yours......

Good grief.....I corrected his mis information.......

Our fresh squeezed orange juice, soft serve yogurt and burgers and fries were enjoyed at no extra charge ......except for the night we decided to eat an JR for dinner one night we paid a surcharge which was optional:rolleyes:

No hidden charges there.........

I'd correct your misinformation, but I'm gonna pass.

Regarding the orange juice...last Royal Carib. cruise went to the Windjammer for breakfast. Saw a table with a waiter using a machine to make fresh squeezed OJ. Thought, "Wow, Royal just took things up a notch!"...until I saw the server was jotting down sign & sail card #s & charging $3.50 plus grat. for that juice! The free juice they served was so watered down I wouldn't even drink it. However, in the dining room you got a not-from-concentrate juice (wasn't fresh squeezed, although the menu called it that, but equal to Tropicana).

While someone said they never paid for room service, no matter what the hour - the charge for late at night room service is a fairly new change (maybe a year old??).

I don't think there were that many "hidden" or not so hidden charges on Royal Caribbean. (they did have where if you wanted a better cut of steak in the main dining rm. rather than going to the supper club you could pay extra for that. The reg. steak served in the dining room was terrible on our last cruise.) Overall, I just found the quality of food lacking. And I'm not a picky eater. As someone else noted, the burgers aren't cooked as you wait. Sitting under a heat lamp at the buffet. One day the "carving board" item was meatloaf. Must say, it was one of the most enjoyable items I ate at the buffet - I just don't consider that a carving board item. Felt the buffet lacked variety. Sandwiches were pre-made, rather than ordered deli style on Carnival. Royal did have a good room service menu.

Things that Royal Caribbean had that were free on some of their bigger ships were the rock climbing wall, in-line skating, ice skating, parade down the promenade, etc. Whether you would use those features makes them of value or possibly not.

This is not true.........no extra charge for hamburgers and fries and RCCL charges less for beer then Carnival........

I'm not fond of eating burgers on a cruise ship...but I have to say that if I HAD to, I would choose a Carnival burger over a RCCL burger.

RCCL and Celebrity's burgers are pretty dang gross. (I know this from taking bites from my DH's burgers...he likes burgers a lot. I don't see the appeal myself) :p

as for hidden fees, I consider these options on all cruise ships.

I actually prefer more options which is why I became an NCL fan....tons of options. Many people call it being nickled and dimed. I don't see it that way.

There are no hidden charges......

RCCL offers more optional venues......such as Johnny Rockets, Ben and Jerrys, a few supper clubs, Seattles Best.......etc.......

While right now I believe Carnival offers an optional a supper club on some of their ships and a gourmet coffee shop.......oh and some ships offer optional popcorn......

Optional venues = additional charges.

MARAPRINCE

Optional venues = additional charges.

MARAPRINCE

Optional venues = additional choices and possibly if you so choose, additional charges.

Choices are a good thing IMO. They keep the basic cruise price low enough so people who don't like Johnny Rockets aren't paying for it in their fare. ;)

The "best" optional (additional cost) item on RCL is the ice cream pop that is taken out of the freezer case with a gratuity added. Realize, all that happened was taking out of the case and handing it to a passenger!

For what RCL was charging for the ice cream pop (including the gratituity), we had home made ice (2 large scoops) in several of the ports with our choice of flavors.

The only other source of food 24 hrs. without an optional charge was the Promenade Cafe which served very small premade finger sandwiches, some pastry type desserts, cookies (hard), bananas, kiwis, 2 types of mini pizza (cheese or pepperoni). No comparison to the food served on Carnival or Princess.

Unless you "choose" to eat in one of the speciality restaurants, the food quality and service in the MDR should be of a high enough standard that you do not need to pay optional charges for anything on board.

Johnnie Rockets food is good, but not that good to pay extra for it. It is more about the experience and entertainment by the wait staff than the food. Supposedly, the optional charge was added because too many teens were using it as a hangout. Now, they hang out in the Promande Cafe! When RCL first introduced Johnnie Rockets to their fleet, it was an extra charge venue. Later, when passengers complained about the extra charge it was removed.

We went twice (once on each of our sailings last year before the optional charge became mandatory) because as a repeat passenger we had a coupon that waived the optional charge. The food was okay. Now, the coupon is no longer provided. Nothing on J. Rockets menu can be considered healthy or even close to gourmet food!

MARAPRINCE

Unless you "choose" to eat in one of the speciality restaurants, the food quality and service in the MDR should be of a high enough standard that you do not need to pay optional charges for anything on board.

MARAPRINCE

And we didn't pay for anything optional except JR and only because we have never been to one;) And we enjoyed it.....is it healthy? LMAO!!!

So the only thing I saw that RCCL charges for that Carnival doesn't is the room service charge between midnight and 5 in the morning.......and basically it is just a mandatory room service charge......and again no hidden fees......

People pay extra to eat in the supper clubs on Carnival......no different........

Just went on Monarch in June and didn't find them charging for anything other than what you would expect to on carnival...

HUH?????

Carnival has no fee for dining in any restaurant or venue.... Only the reservations-only supper clubs have a charge....

Carnival doesn't charge for room service....24/7

Carnival has lower prices and bigger cabins.

Oasis of the Seas will charge for......are you ready......CUPCAKES. and, so far, 12 of the 24 dining venues have a charge.

Carnival has NO charge for steak in the MDR.

Carnival - free ice cream

HUH?????

Carnival has no fee for dining in any restaurant or venue.... Only the reservations-only supper clubs have a charge....

RCCL has no fee for dining in any restaurant or venue except their optional venues...Carnival only has a few supper clubs on certain ships......gourmet coffee shop........RCCL has more.......

Carnival doesn't charge for room service....24/7

This is the only thing that RCCL charges for.......mandatory room tip after midnight til 5 in the morning......

Carnival has lower prices and bigger cabins.

Wrong......and as for cabin size my balcony cabin was the same size on the Mariner as Conquest regular balcony.....only difference my Mariner balcony was larger and cheaper........

Oasis of the Seas will charge for......are you ready......CUPCAKES. and' date=' so far, 12 of the 24 dining venues have a charge.

Options just more options.......like Carnival charging for ....are you ready........popcorn.........

Carnival has NO charge for steak in the MDR.

RCCL has NO charge for steak in the dining room either......but you do have an option to purchase one that they sell in the supper clubs....

Carnival - free ice cream

RCCL has free soft serve yogurt.....

So you see flynnsport ( who btw sailed on the Monarch which has even less options)is correct......you are wrong;)

No charge for kids club for sure

Orange juice concentrate is free, fresh squeezed has a charge

Cover charge for Johnny Rockets is $4.95, food is still free

There is a charge of $2.50 for room service between 2:30am (I think) and 6 am.

Ben and Jerry's ice cream and Seattle's Best Coffee Bar has a charge.

Filet Mignon in the dining room has a charge of $14.95

That's all I can remember from my cruise last week.

I find it very interesting how many people on this thread love their cruise lines. I can't honestly say I have a preference with one line over the other and I've cruised on most of the major players: Been on NCL, Princess, Holland America and Royal. I am sailing on Carnival in 3 weeks so we'll see what my experience on Carnival is. I can tell you that I like Royal way better than I did Princess as far as ship, food and service are concerned.

There are things that NCL did better than Royal has done and, of course, Holland America just spoils you from start to finish. For example, NCL gave us free ice cream for our 7 day cruise to Alaska and I had free ice cream on a few of our other trips with them. I seem to remember Princess having an ice cream shack set up around the pool area that had some additional costs involved for certain toppings but I can't remember for certain and would be more than happy to retract my words if someone could prove me wrong.

I was just on the Liberty of the Seas and I went to Ben & Jerry's and had a Sundae. Did I need to spend $5 + 15% gratuity on a Sundae??? Nope. But it was my choice. And I think that was at the heart of what someone posted above which was companies like Royal and Norwegian started offering the choice to its passengers. If you don't want it don't use it. I wouldn't necessarily consider free ice cream when deciding my vacation of choice but stuff like a surf pool, an ice skating rink and 3 pools definately play into the mix. And, to G'Ma, Royal will find out of selling cupcakes on board will be profitable for them. Afterall people, they are in the business to make money. If they can make more money by providing better stuff at a higher premium (cover charge) then so be it.

Anyway, flame on folks. . . flame on.

Steve

HUH?????

Oasis of the Seas will charge for......are you ready......CUPCAKES. and' date=' so far, 12 of the 24 dining venues have a charge.[/quote']

These aren't just your ordinary run-of-the-mill cupcakes either...

The cupcakes are also works of art and I look forward to buying a few of them. First to photograph, then to enjoy. :)

cake3.jpg

cake2.jpg

cake1.jpg

cake4.jpg

I love both Carnival and Royal however I am objective enough to say that if you want an edible burger on Royal you will pay for it unlike on Carnival.

BTW fat free frozen yogurt is not yogurt it is gelatin with some whitener and a whole lot of sugar added so if you like it eat it but don't think it is going to improve your health status any more than ice cream does.]

There is a charge for late night room service on Royal and there has been for over a year now whereas on Carnival it is free.

Note these are things that kids like and the OP asked because her/his son wants to go on Royal. Paying for these items will add up. Of course there is no NEED to pay for any of them but it makes cruising with a child a little more fun.

I appreciate everyone's responses! I have sent this CC site on to my DS and DDI and will let them decide for themselves. I personally love Carnival so it's mostly a no-brainer for me, however, it's their choice and money! Thanks ever so much!

To HighlandCruzer: Those cupcakes are amazing! I don't know if I would want to eat it or frame it! :D

I think you should try RCCL with your son. That is the ONLY way you will be able to compare the two lines. I loved all my RCCL cruises. However, I had never cruised Carnival, so I have booked the Victory for April. I will then be able to make an informed decission.

I can't say enough good things about RCCL. Their ships are gorgeous.

We've only sailed on RC so far, and had a great time on all of our cruises. We have 2 booked with Carnival for 2010, and we're excited about new ports and new ships; especially Dream. :D Almost went with Freedom of the Seas, but we've done the eastern/western RC itineraries several times, and we were all ready for something different.

I have a feeling they're going to be a lot more similar than different. (Carnival and RC)

I think it's great there are so many choices out there, and I wish we had enough money to cruise more so I could try them all!! :rolleyes:

For me it would not be the "extras" on RCI..it is the initial price

just always so much higher unless you get a short trip ..which they have the Majesty that has really really tiny rooms and none of the bells and whistles that people love on RCI (ie, no ice rink etc)

on their short cruises they don't have lobster either...which I love

I know people who have been on both Majesty and on Imagination and they far prefer Imagination...bigger cabins, lobster, and better food

Another reason I like Carnival is that it is really better for singles to cruise on I think.....so I go with Carnival

It would be great to see all the goodies on the new rci ships....the mall, the johnny rockets, the rock wall..

but I live in Florida..with more malls than you can even count....beautiful malls, huge malls....

we have Johnny Rockets here at the Hard Rock...which I can get to in about 15 minutes

The hard rock is fancy like an RCI ship

we have a big "climbing" gym/attraction here that will have much better walls and stuff to climb.....lots of them....so if you are in Fort Lauderdale you could climb there, eat at Johnny Rockets and save your money for tickets when the Ice Capades visit your town and still save money

Yes, there are some deals on Royal but really not much on the really new ships...and none on Oasis...

IF I went on RCI I would want to go on the Oasis (which will be ported here in Fort Lauderdale)

I do wonder about it sometimes...are the people so excited by the stuff on RCI just from really small and boring towns or something?

I just can't get excited about a shopping mall when I have sawgrass mills right here haha

(where you can bounce on a bungee trampoline, get massages for $1 a minute just like on the islands, take kids to the Rainforest Cafe, and shop till you drop....it is now the number 2 tourist attraction in Florida and we have busses and tour busses running there from the hotels)

Archived