Molokini Crater Snorkeling Tours - Help

bobbyd6363

Hello!

We are sailing on the Island Princess this October and i am looking into possibly doing a Molokini Snorkeling private or group charter. Can someone recommend a tour operator that you may have used to do the same tour?

THanks

Hello!

We are sailing on the Island Princess this October and i am looking into possibly doing a Molokini Snorkeling private or group charter. Can someone recommend a tour operator that you may have used to do the same tour?

THanks

Trilogy does a nice trip, also there is Blue Water Rafting if you want something a little more exciting. Be careful that Molokini can get extremely crowded with the number of boats that frequent its waters. Do the trip in the morning for optimal conditions, it can get windy in the afternoon.

This website has some great alternatives http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/kini.html

Hi,

We were in Maui last spring, but not with a cruise. We went to Molokini out of Maalea Harbor. Took a Pacific Whale Foundation catamaran. It left early which was good-made it out to the crater first. It took 45 minutes to get out there. We saw a lot of fish, an octopus and a humpback breach (it was April, the very end of whale season). After an hour, the boat headed to Lanai ( 90 minute ride) for additional snorkeling One of the on board guides did a reef tour for anyone interested. On the way back to Maui, the kids could join a naturalist for discussion on the deck, she gave out free bubper stickers and posters to the kids. We enjoyed our day and thought it was worth the $$$$.

Years ago, I did a snorkeling trip with Trilogy - and they were fabulous. Last year we did a scuba trip to Molokini with Maui Dive Shop - and they were really great - very professional group and they worked hard to make sure everyone had a good time - also knew the locations well, kept us out of the glob of snorkeling boats.... As the previous poster said, definitely do a morning trip... We had to cancel a trip (we were staying in Maui for 5 days) due to weather, and the Maui Dive Shop took care of us and let us trade in the dive for another service they offered - I would definitely use them again.

SunnyCal - thanks for the info

ddonalds - I just checked out Trilogy and their web site was wonderful and I spoke to a nice lady there and unfortunately they cannot work with us becuase the Island Princess doesnt get into Lahaina until 0800 and she said that unless you leave around 0730 Molokini is not do-able if you leave so late say around 0900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RATS! This seemed like the perfect tour operator too! She recommended Scotch Mist charters but I dont want to book us on a mono-hull boat but wanted a catamaran. Oh well! Thanks for the info!

Bobby

I hate to be a "downer" but I would definitely NOT recommend Pacific Whale Foundation for ANY tour. We had booked with them in August for a Whale Watch for when we were to be in Maui on December 4th. We called the day before we were to arrive, to confirm our tour. We were informed that the tour we had booked had been cancelled due to a large group that wanted the morning tour. I asked why they had not notified us and they said that was not their responsibility. When I asked what would have happened the next morning had we not called and we arrived at the harbor early for our tour.... she said basically that they would have said "sorry - no tour....come back this afternoon." Extremely unprofessional in my opinion and I would never recommend this operator to ANYONE! I book a tour, give them a credit card for the charges and then they decide to change things when they get a better offer???? UNPROFESSIONAL! Find another operator.

Last year when we were in Maui, we did the Molikini snorkel with the Fair Winds II. Good operator....they did what they said and it was an excellent tour.

SunnyCal - thanks for the info

ddonalds - I just checked out Trilogy and their web site was wonderful and I spoke to a nice lady there and unfortunately they cannot work with us becuase the Island Princess doesnt get into Lahaina until 0800 and she said that unless you leave around 0730 Molokini is not do-able if you leave so late say around 0900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RATS! This seemed like the perfect tour operator too! She recommended Scotch Mist charters but I dont want to book us on a mono-hull boat but wanted a catamaran. Oh well! Thanks for the info!

Bobby

For a catamaran Kapalua Kai may be a good choice. I have been to Maui many times and always have a good time on this boat. Uncrowded, first rate service and crew, excellent food and drink. They have a picnic snorkel to Honolua Bay and I believe they also have another boat for private charters. Owners, Peter and Inca are the best.

We recall our Molikini snorkling adventure as the boat ride from Hell. Years ago while on a Maui vacation, we choose a cheaper snorkling tour. It was on a cattamaran called "Serinity". They brought us onboard in several trips via Zodiac as they were anchored. It was a twin engined sailing Cat. One engine wouldn't start. We're out in open sea's and whitecaps are getting bigger. I overhear the two operators saying "maybe would should turn back". The waves are getting bigger, the boats getting tossed around and we can see other tour ships turning back. We then hear him say they're turning back. The winds are getting brisk, they're mentioning 45-50 mph and at times the boat is out of the water. The wife points to the hull and it's one of those "ferro-cement" boats and there are cracks in the cement. After a white-knuckle ride back closer to shore, they take us to an area off Maui to let us snorkle. The water is rough and murky. Most didn't even go in. I went for a few minutes and quickly got out. We then departed to where our cars were at. They anchored and then couldn't get the Zodiac started so they could tender us to shore. I was ready to swim for it by then. They didn't refund any money to us for the miserable trip. The bad weather wasn't their fault but combine that with the broken down boat and equipment and poor attitude, we really felt let down.

I can honestly say, you get what you pay for. If we get the opportunity to do a Molikini snorkle adventure again, it will be with a bigger boat with modern ammenities and trusted reviews. I will gladly pay a higher price for peace of mind , comfort and safety.

"SERINITY NOW!" :D

I have been to Maui twice, though on land vacations, not a cruise. On our first trip to Maui, we did the Molokini snorkelling tour out of Ma'alea Bay. I believe it was through Trilogy...it was very good. I had never been on a catamaran before that day and, when I saw the cat for our tour, I was terrified and almost backed out because it seemed so small. But I ended up LOVING it and have become a confirmed catamaran lover!

I have done the whale watching excursion with Pacific Whale Foundation twice on Maui (also out of Ma'alea Bay) and have had outstanding experiences with them both times.

Archived