FX Cheat Sheet - Peso to Dollar

LoveVakays

Hi everyone,

Hopefully this will be helpful for your cruise to Mexico.

Source: http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheetuser=printable&date_fmt=us&date=10/01/09&exch=MXN&expr=USD&lang=en&value=1&result=1&rate_type=interbank&margin=0

Mexican Peso (MXN) to US Dollar (USD)

Interbank rate

Thursday, October 1, 2009

MXNUSDMXNUSDMXNUSD10 = 0.74100 = 7.401000 = 7420 = 1.48150 = 11.102000 = 14830 = 2.22200 = 14.793000 = 22240 = 2.96250 = 18.494000 = 29650 = 3.70300 = 22.195000 = 37060 = 4.44350 = 25.896000 = 44470 = 5.18400 = 29.597000 = 51880 = 5.92450 = 33.298000 = 59290 = 6.66500 = 36.999000 = 666550 = 40.6810000 = 740600 = 44.3850000 = 3699650 = 48.08700 = 51.78750 = 55.48oanda-small.gif

FXCheatSheet for Travelers

© 1997-2009 by OANDA.com.

http://www.oanda.com 800 = 59.18Interbank rate

Mexican Peso (MXN)

US Dollar (USD)

Thursday, October 1, 2009850 = 62.88900 = 66.58950 = 70.27

The link below is actually the best place to check the "tipo de cambio" exchange rate that is actually given at the bank at the moment. Expedia, Oanda and such only show the inter-bank rates (High volume bank transactions, not the rates you get at the bank or ATM in Mexico.

The link is to BanaMex bank which has locations throughout Mexico.

https://www.ccbusa.com/onlineserv/HB/Forms/OnlineForm.cgi?form=tdrates/FXTrans_sp

Right now, as I post, the rate is 13.5 Pesos to the US Dollar.

We always use our debit cards at the many ATMS or banks around the city when we get there, no need to buy pesos before hand.

Does using the debit card require like a processing fee of some sort?

The ATMS for the most part do not charge an extra usage fee, only the fee your bank charges you. Some banks like Bank of America have affiate banks here in Mexico such as Santander and Scotia Bank, so I suggest calling your bank or checking their website for the "International usage" information. As well, there is always a 1 to 2% fee for any International usage, be it through an ATM or charging at a store, hotel, etc.

Either way, ATMS are a great way to get money and the rates are much better than at a Casa de Cambio or by ordering at home.

There will always be a screen that (in Spanish) tells you there is a 3 Peso fee for checking your balance and a 7 Peso fee for withdrawal, but that is only for Mexican Credit/Debit/ATM cards.

The caveat is that the stand alone ATM's at OXXO's and around town that are not tied to a bank do have fees, but again, only around $2 to $3 US.

One of the best debit cards to travel with is a PAYPAL debit card. The ATM fee is only $1.00 no matter what ATM you use, International or National and they also send you an email any time a purchase is made on the card. Many travel industry people highly recommend getting a PAYPAL debit card because of the low fees, the email alerts for purchases and that you can easily move money from your bank to the PAYPAL account. I switched to this about a year ago and love it! I should have done it years ago.

The ATMS for the most part do not charge an extra usage fee, only the fee your bank charges you. Some banks like Bank of America have affiate banks here in Mexico such as Santander and Scotia Bank, so I suggest calling your bank or checking their website for the "International usage" information. As well, there is always a 1 to 2% fee for any International usage, be it through an ATM or charging at a store, hotel, etc.

Either way, ATMS are a great way to get money and the rates are much better than at a Casa de Cambio or by ordering at home.

There will always be a screen that (in Spanish) tells you there is a 3 Peso fee for checking your balance and a 7 Peso fee for withdrawal, but that is only for Mexican Credit/Debit/ATM cards.

The caveat is that the stand alone ATM's at OXXO's and around town that are not tied to a bank do have fees, but again, only around $2 to $3 US.

One of the best debit cards to travel with is a PAYPAL debit card. The ATM fee is only $1.00 no matter what ATM you use, International or National and they also send you an email any time a purchase is made on the card. Many travel industry people highly recommend getting a PAYPAL debit card because of the low fees, the email alerts for purchases and that you can easily move money from your bank to the PAYPAL account. I switched to this about a year ago and love it! I should have done it years ago.

I really like that idea of a paypal debit card!! We use our HSBC card (which is attached to all of our banking matters) and I asked them if we could get a seperate account with it's own card that we would use only for vacations...no can do....but they do reverse all our their charges provided we use a HSBC ATM.

I like the idea of using a card, when on vacation, that is not not attached to all of your other banking services.

We leave in three weeks I am going to find out if I can get a card before then ..

Thanks you :)

Archived