Passports

DBKK

You can have a passport card and a regular passport at the same time? I think that would be nice to have both. Keep the book on board and take the card with you.

The only problem with that is, let's say the ship leaves and you are stuck in port, you will need your passport to be able to fly out of the country that you are in. A passport card will not allow you to fly out of a foreign country. I take my passport with me whenever I leave the ship in any port, you just never know what will happen.

I will tell you what happened to a friend of mine when her family took a cruise to the Panama Canal. When they were on an excursion her husband started having chest pains so the tour guide took them to the hospital and come to find out her husband had suffered a heart attack. Well by the time she realized what time it was the ship had already left and their passports were on the ship. It took her almost a week to get something from the embassy that would allow them to fly home. If you do not have your passport then figure on about an extra week until the American Embassy can get you documents to allow you to come home.

For me, I believe in the motto, "better to be safe then sorry.".

I am going solo on my cruise. So what do I do with my wallet and passport while I am at the beach? I almost have a feeling that I can not do any type of water activities because I am going by myself and there will be no one to watch my stuff while I am in the water.

I am going solo on my cruise. So what do I do with my wallet and passport while I am at the beach? I almost have a feeling that I can not do any type of water activities because I am going by myself and there will be no one to watch my stuff while I am in the water.

you can buy an aquapac. it keeps things bone dry. go to their website and get the one that will best fit your needs. there are all different sizes. hope this helps!!!:)

You can have a passport card and a regular passport at the same time? I think that would be nice to have both. Keep the book on board and take the card with you.

You can, but I'm just getting the book. If you read the details, you can't fly back to the U.S. using your passport card, it's only good for sea or land crossings, so if the cruise gods are against you and you miss the ship, you can't fly home (assuming you would need to and can't catch the ship at another port).

The whole point of a passport is to prove your identity while in a foreign country. It won't do any good while it's on a ship. That's like saying you're leaving your driver's license at home (in the States) because you don't want to lose it. I don't see any greater risk of losing a passport than a driver's license, credit card, cash, etc.

Take it with you.

Archived