What to do in Huatulco???

65Cardinal

We will be on the Infinity going throug the Canal in March. We have looked through all the treads trying to get info about Huatulco with no success.

Any input on the port or ship sponsored tours would be greatly appreciated.

Hi 65Cardinal,

We are on the Infinity in March with you and are also trying to find info on Huatulco. Please let me know if you find anything and I will do the same. My email address is in my profile.

Carol

We spent a couple of vacations in Huatulco. Tongalunga Bay is very nice, with a few hotels on it. The ocean can be rough. Many people took the boat trips that visited the local bays. Santa Cruz is a TINY town. You could walk around it very quickly. La Crucicita (sp?) is another little town. Very hot during the day. I would probably opt for the boat because now that the hotels are all-inclusive, I don't know if you'd be allowed to use their facilities. Enjoy!

Did Huatulco on our panama canal cruise in Oct. 2004. Not many ships stop there so the port is very clean. Water crystal clear, beautiful blue. We made that our beach day and had planned to have a taxi take us to a nice beach. When we saw how nice the beach was right next to the peir we did not bother with a taxi. There were restaurants right there beachside with umbrellas and lounge chairs to use as long as you ordered something. We had margaritas, sodas, and beers. Our family probably had 10 drinks in all, plus use of 3 lounge chairs and 1 umbrellas for about 3 hours. The bill came to $20 plus tip. A great beach day with warm water (I even went in...I never do) nice clean sand and a waiter that was great. The family next to us had a full lunch. We walked back to the ship for ours since it was right there. Then we walked 1 block up to the marketplace and did a bit of shopping. This is a great port. Nice, clean, friendly. A real pleasant surprise!!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I will be on the same cruise and we will be easy to spot. I ride a silver and blue scooter and you may hear my horns before you see me. (G)

I am traveling without much information until we get to Mexico's larger ports I have been there several time and you can see by my cruise history.

I will be checking here to see if anyone has more information on this port.

PS. have you signed up for the CC party yet so we can all meet?

Juke: Besides the beach many other people went to the taxi line up and got half day tours for $20 per cab. Everyone was saying that they could not believe what a great deal this was. This port is great because the people are SO friendly, many spoke great english and it did not have that hussle the tourist sort of feel that many mexican ports do.

Do the people who use the half day taxi, have places in mind to visit or does one just tell the driver to take you to interesting places? I can't seem to find much about what there is to visit. Perhaps places to shop?

Two: The taxis seemed to have a route of "highlights" they took people to. They went to the old downtown area with cobblestone streets, views of the other bays, resort area, and a farm or coffee plantation, a bit of the jungle. They must have some standard "tour" route they do unless you have some specific requests.

Archived