Antigua - Not sure if this has been posted yet or not

Scarlett824

I'm booked next week on the Freedom and stoping in Antigua. I called checking on that article and no one at Carnival knew anything about it. Still scheduled for Antigua...

Are you going to check on the wayward passengers while on Antigua?:p:rolleyes::D

We were in Antigua on Sept 16, sailing on Carnival Freedom. We got off the ship and took a taxi to Jolly Time beach. It was a beautiful beach. We called for our taxi to come and pick us up. When we got back to town we were told that our fare was one price and not what we were originally told. Instead of putting up a big fuss, I paid the extra $20.

We were in Antigua two years ago on a cruise out of Puerto Rico and I'll never go back. We took a tour to a "private beach." Unfortunately they forgot to tell us that we would be constantly bothered by men trying to sell jewelry. When one stopped by my lounge I politely asked him to not bother me as I was there to rest and relax and not buy anything. And said thanks for stopping by. He then went into a tirade that I had offended him by not saying good morning first and who did I think I was. At that point my husband came back from the water and sat down (didn't say anything was just listening to see how far this guy would go). He then turned to my husband and said is that your wife? My hubby said yes and he said "God Bless" you she's a _itch! My hubby not wanting to cause any trouble said I think it's time for you to leave. The man then let off a steam of profanaties at him. There was nothing we could do because even though this was a "private beach", the beaches are public to these peddlers. After bothering us he then continued to bother our friends and they received the same treatment we did. I was never so glad to get back on the tour bus. I've traveled pretty much everywhere -- Mexico, Hong Kong, Europe, Korea, Japan, etc. and never have been treated like this. Had I been rude or nasty I could understand but I never raised my voice or talked mean to this person. I'll be more than glad to miss this port in the future.

Rudeness must be the general rule there. We experienced the same thing on the beach with hustlers. When we got back to town, we ate lunch at a local restaurant. The place wasn't busy and the service wasn't good. The only good about Antigua was the Cuban Cigars I was able to get at the Cohiba International Store. We won't miss the place.

I have absolutely no idea what happened with these people, but I am truly sorry that Carnival is going to stop calling at Antigua and am very happy I sailed Victory in May and had the opportunity to visit. It is a beautiful island.

Just another reason why people should do their homework FIRST, before they sail, and know what they're getting into. There are some folks here (actually, over on the POC boards) who will insist that you are a fool for booking an excursion because you can get the same thing much cheaper if you just negotiate with drivers at the pier.

Thanks, but I'll do my research and read all the reviews I can find, email the tour operators and pay in cash at the end of the tour, once we are back at the dock.

That way, you have everything in writing (I print those email confirmations that show exactly what the tour entails as well as the price and take them with me in each port), and there will be no negotiations needed.

The things some cruisers do.......i.e., go out on their own in a strange foreign country vs. using the ship's reliable excursion suppliers........I guess to save a few bucks or "get a better deal"......is almost unbelievable.

Stories like this one will hopefully alert them as to how they should reconsider their brave, adventurous, brilliant approach ......in places far away from home !

The things some cruisers do.......i.e., go out on their own in a strange foreign country vs. using the ship's reliable excursion suppliers........I guess to save a few bucks or "get a better deal"......is almost unbelievable.

Stories like this one will hopefully alert them as to how they should reconsider their brave, adventurous, brilliant approach ......in places far away from home !

The ships reliable excursions got some folks robbed at gun point in Jamaica..........

Archived