Tropical Storm Olaf

SDPadreFan

New storm that "could" cause itinerary changes for sailings leaving Southern California today, Sat, & Sun. Not a big storm. Not projected to get any worse than a "Tropical Storm".

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200918.html

Oh boy......my worst nightmare! Rough seas, no sunbathing......And last week was SO perfect! Does anyone who knows how to read these things have an idea as to whether this will or not affect the MR itinerary? How bad does it look at this point?

Any of you experts - please chime in! And I know......have a great cruise anyway...but I can't help it. As I get older I worry more....

RCI doesn't have any itinerary changes listed or advisories for Olaf on their web site. If NOAA is correct, Olaf will be a remnant low over land (mid Baja) by 5am Sunday and we board Radiance at 5pm Sunday.

RCI doesn't have any itinerary changes listed or advisories for Olaf on their web site. If NOAA is correct, Olaf will be a remnant low over land (mid Baja) by 5am Sunday and we board Radiance at 5pm Sunday.

That sounds great! But we leave Saturday...so will the ride down be rougher than usual due to these conditions? Or will be still be behind it so to speak?

If you leave Saturday evening, the boat can cut a little wider arc if necessary to avoid the worst of the rough water. I'm guessing it will still be fairly smooth because you will generally be following the prevailing currents once the storm blows through.

Still always a good idea to keep an eye on things. Storms can speed up or slow down. Could be worse. Look at the 2 Cat 4 Typhoon's heading toward the northern Philippine Islands and southern Japan.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=15.9&lon=124.7&zoom=6&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

and

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=15.5&lon=148.8&zoom=6&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

You have to zoom out a little on the second one to see it's storm track a little better.

That sounds great! But we leave Saturday...so will the ride down be rougher than usual due to these conditions? Or will be still be behind it so to speak?

Here's the Mariner's 1-2-3 Rule gif:

143114123_sm.gif

Archived