Water taxis - PV to Yelapa - Anyone with recent experience?

Jenbo57

Has anyone taken one recently? What'd you think? (I've seen the pictures; I know that they're small, no-frills boats. Not too concerned about that! :) ) You can't beat the cost, and the fact that they run so frequently throughout the day!

Keep in mind that water taxis are not really there for the tourist but for the people who live/work where there are not roads such as Las Animas, Yelapa, Majahuitas, Pizota, Quimixto, etc.

These are boats that basically run people from either PV to one of the villages or vice-versa. No comfort, no sightseeing...and you can get wet! Usually no docks, so you have to jump in and out at the shore which can be difficult when there are high waves.

Anyway, you can take a water taxi at the Los Muertos Pier or from Boca de Tomatlan. If you google "water taxi Los Muertos Vallarta" or "water taxi Boca de Tomatlan Vallarta" you should find plenty of info including times, rates, etc.

Keep in mind that water taxis are not really there for the tourist but for the people who live/work where there are not roads such as Las Animas, Yelapa, Majahuitas, Pizota, Quimixto, etc.

These are boats that basically run people from either PV to one of the villages or vice-versa. No comfort, no sightseeing...and you can get wet! Usually no docks, so you have to jump in and out at the shore which can be difficult when there are high waves.

Yes, I am aware of that. That's basically why we want to do it this way; forget the touristy stuff, once we're off the ship we like to get places the way the locals do! :)

I'm just hoping that they stick to their schedules, etc., so we don't get left stranded!

Another question, since you're a local... I'd like to go out into the hills to where the Huichol village(s) is (are). I've found a flight service that flies out there; is that pretty much the best way to go?

Thanks!

Here is a link to a website that shows times and locations to catch a water taxi to Yelapa. http://www.yelapa.info/ Click on "getting here" on the left to get to the schedule. Below the map is one for Puerto Vallarta to Yelapa and one for Yelapa to Vallarta.

For the most part, they do keep their schedules but depending on the time of the year, storm and high swells can come out of nowhere and they may not go back to Vallarta/vice versa.

As far as going out to see the Huicholes, I do not think anyone is doing a flight tour unless you charter the entire plane. Was it with Vallarta Adventures? If so, it is only available as a private charter.

If you want to know about the Huicoles or buy Huichol art, Peyote People on Juarez and close to Libertad (a few blocks from the flea market) work directly with the Huichol and have some amazing items.

Good luck :)

Thanks, bzy1! The website you refer to is where I got the initial info on the water taxis in the first place (I am an obsessive researcher)!

And I did see the Huichol tour on the Puerto Vallarta Tours website initially, but according to the site, it's no longer available. Found another one through a link on a Mexican tourism site, but I don't remember where.

I'll check out Peyote People. I've purchased Huichol art previously through Galeria Indigena on Juarez. They had a reasonable selection, but it's good to see what's available elsewhere. (I also collect Day of the Dead art, so I'm always interested in knowing who has the best selection of that.)

I only hope the native peoples are receiving what they should for their artwork. It seems to me like I should be paying more for it than I am, considering how intricate some of it is, and I wonder how much of a commission the galleries keep. Wish I could buy it directly from the source...

Archived