Signature Express Baggage Service

voyagerII

My wife Zelda and I are cruising on the Westerdam on 3 Jan 2009. Our flight home leaves FLL at 11:00 am on the following Sunday. From what I have read HAL and NWA are partners in this service. I am confused on customs procedure using this service. Some report not seeing their luggage until they arrive home, yet others say they take them thru customs. With this early flight we need to disembark as soon as possible. Any thoughts?? David

My wife Zelda and I are cruising on the Westerdam on 3 Jan 2009. Our flight home leaves FLL at 11:00 am on the following Sunday. From what I have read HAL and NWA are partners in this service. I am confused on customs procedure using this service. Some report not seeing their luggage until they arrive home, yet others say they take them thru customs. With this early flight we need to disembark as soon as possible. Any thoughts?? David

If indeed your flight departs at 11 AM, you will not be accepted into the Express Baggage Service ... I think the earliest permitted, at least with Port Everglades disembark and FLL flight, is noon.

Our experience in Florida ... put the bags out last evening, retrieve them in the terminal, schlep the bags thru Customs and Immigration, turn the bags over to HAL's contractor. Other ports/itineraries may operate differently.

Do we have to have our flights booked with HAL to qualify for this service? I plan to return on AA from FLL on Dec 22 (Noordam) around 8 pm. Would really appreciate being able to have the luggage on its way. Does it get picked up the night before outside our stateroom? We don't have to go through customs with it? Any info is greatly appreciated. Salzburg :):):)

Do we have to have our flights booked with HAL to qualify for this service?

No.

I plan to return on AA from FLL on Dec 22 (Noordam) around 8 pm. Would really appreciate being able to have the luggage on its way. Does it get picked up the night before outside our stateroom? We don't have to go through customs with it? Any info is greatly appreciated.

You will get airline luggage tags and boarding passes. You place your luggage out the last night as usual and then have to collect it before going through customs. Once through customs they will load it onto trucks to go to the airport. It's well worth the money!

Is your flight the day after you disembark the ship? You will need to check if it is available for next day flights. Here's what the HAL website says:

Restrictions include: participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.

No.

You will get airline luggage tags and boarding passes. You place your luggage out the last night as usual and then have to collect it before going through customs. Once through customs they will load it onto trucks to go to the airport. It's well worth the money!

Thank you! Can you explain the citizenship requirement to me? I am US citizen, DH is Austrian, but US permanent resident. Maybe only I can check my suitcase this way? Thanks for your help!! Salzburg

Hi ~

We just got back from a cruise and I haven't unpacked everything yet. But, from memory ... They gave us a letter explaining the program. It listed the criteria such as which airlines participate and it needs to be from a domestic departure city to another U.S. city. The flight has to depart after either 11:30 a.m. or noon. The cost was $16.00 per person plus any additional baggage fees charged by the airlines (those fees are also listed). The charge is posted to your onboard account.

Participation is based on the airlines authorization. You receive luggage tags to put on your suitcases along with your boarding passes the day before departure. The luggage needs to be out in the hall the evening before as usual. Those in a deluxe suite have the option to have their luggage out at 6:00 a.m. the morning of departure.

I hope this helps.

Kathy

Returned last night from Zaandam Alaska. We received our boarding passes and luggage tags around noon the day prior to disembarkation. Put bags in hall as usual. Did not see bags again until arriving at baggage claim at home airport. In Seattle we just walked through Customs, they collected our Declaration, that was it. It seemed the BEST $14.00 each we have ever spent. HAL put the amount on our account along with the airline bag charges. VERY smooth and VERY nice!! :)

Thank you! Can you explain the citizenship requirement to me? I am US citizen, DH is Austrian, but US permanent resident. Maybe only I can check my suitcase this way? Thanks for your help!! Salzburg

I don't know what the citizen requirements are, sorry, just quoted what was on HAL's website. Here is all of it:

Signature Express Baggage Service

Signature Express Baggage Service offers you the opportunity to receive your airline boarding passes, and check your luggage in to your flight while still onboard your Holland America Line ship. Our TSA certified partners will take your luggage directly from the ship and deliver it to your outbound aircraft. You will then claim your luggage when you arrive at your final airport destination.

This disembarkation option allows you to enjoy your final hours in the port at your leisure. Imagine your options: 1) enjoy the sights of the city or 2) stand in a never-ending line at the airport--the choice is yours with Signature Express Baggage Service.

Signature Express Baggage Service is available in selected departure ports and for selected ships, detailed below. Once onboard, a letter explaining the eligibility requirements will be sent to you.

Holland America Line is offering Signature Express Baggage Service in:

• Fort Lauderdale

• Los Angeles

• Seattle

• San Diego

• Vancouver (on select dates only)

• Tampa

On the following thirteen (13) vessels only:

• ms Amsterdam

• ms Eurodam

• ms Oosterdam

• ms Maasdam

• ms Noordam

• ms Ryndam

• ms Rotterdam

• ms Statendam

• ms Veendam

• ms Volendam

• ms Westerdam

• ms Zaandam

• ms Zuiderdam

Please note the following general information about Signature Express Baggage Service:

• Cost is $19 per person at all ports

• Airline assessed baggage fees will be applied to guests' onboard account - fees vary by airline and all pricing is communicated directly from the airline to our partner company, BAGS, Inc. These fees are collected onboard and are then distributed to the airlines.

• Guests are able to check no more than 2 pieces of luggage per person.

• Upgrade Requests, Seat Assignment Requests, and Flight Changes cannot be accommodated onboard.

• There are restrictions established for each homeport city.

• Restrictions include: participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.

• All flights must be Domestic (inclusive of U.S. Territories).

• In Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada all flights must be bound for the U.S.

Oops, I forgot to mention that once we put out luggage in the hallway we did not see it again until our final destination. We did not have to pick it up at the pier. It was amazingly easy and well worth the fee!

That may vary according to port; in Ft. Lauderdale you have to collect your luggage and take it through customs yourself. After that you don't see it till you get to your destination.

Everyone also needs to keep in mind that even if you sign up for the service and seem to fit all the parameters ... you may be denied participation for reasons unknown to and beyond the control of HAL. Final decision is with DHS.

Used it one year and turned down the next ... only difference was that altho we booked identical flights both years, the second year, when we were denied participation, we had booked two one-way air tix rather than a roundtrip. All else was the same, so we think that sent up a red flag and got us booted out of the program.

David, we are on the same cruise join us on the roll call! Signature Baggage Express flights must be after 12 noon. We has to take our bags through customs then gave them to the express service right outside the terminal. Next time we saw them was in New York.

Andrea

Archived