Is it customary to wear jeans in the MDR on an Alaskan itinerary?

andrea

Let me preface my post by saying I know what the suggested attire is and I'm an experienced cruiser. I've never worn jeans in the MDR on previous cruises.

However, I am booked on a cruise to Alaska on the Rhapsody of the Seas for next summer and am wondering if the general dress of passengers in the evenings tends to be a little more casual than on other itineraries.

The reason I ask is because my mother (who used to be a cruise-only TA) has always said that cruises to Alaska tend to be a little more casual and jeans are perfectly acceptable on casual nights.

I know the "dress code" subject has been discussed on this board ad nauseam and I do not wish to rehash the generic what is appropriate/acceptable and what is not discussion. I have tried to search for information on this specific aspect of the "dress code" discussion and couldn't find any posts about it.

All I want to know is if it is generally more accepted to wear jeans in the MDR on casual nights on an Alaskan itinerary -or- is what you see in Alaska the same as all the other cruises.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. - The type of outfit I would wear (if I chose to wear jeans) would not be torn old jeans and a tee, it would be non-faded dark jeans along with a button down shirt and a blazer or a sweater and nice shoes.

We are just back from the Radiance and the last Alaska cruise for 2009.

Jeans are acceptable in the MDR on casual nights. Both DH and I wore dark colored jeans on several occasions. I wore black jeans and with a black & white print jacket on smart casual night and it was fine.

Alaska was more of a mix of casual and smart casual......formal night was a bit on the lighter side.....not too many tux's for men, mostly suits.

Wow. A thread about the dreaded "dress code" subject and all I received were kind, concise, and courteous replies.

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate the insight.

Appreciate you asking the question..... would have been asking this myself down the line ;)

Let me preface my post by saying I know what the suggested attire is and I'm an experienced cruiser. I've never worn jeans in the MDR on previous cruises.

However, I am booked on a cruise to Alaska on the Rhapsody of the Seas for next summer and am wondering if the general dress of passengers in the evenings tends to be a little more casual than on other itineraries.

The reason I ask is because my mother (who used to be a cruise-only TA) has always said that cruises to Alaska tend to be a little more casual and jeans are perfectly acceptable on casual nights.

I know the "dress code" subject has been discussed on this board ad nauseam and I do not wish to rehash the generic what is appropriate/acceptable and what is not discussion. I have tried to search for information on this specific aspect of the "dress code" discussion and couldn't find any posts about it.

All I want to know is if it is generally more accepted to wear jeans in the MDR on casual nights on an Alaskan itinerary -or- is what you see in Alaska the same as all the other cruises.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. - The type of outfit I would wear (if I chose to wear jeans) would not be torn old jeans and a tee, it would be non-faded dark jeans along with a button down shirt and a blazer or a sweater and nice shoes.

Customary? Probably not customary....

Here is a link from RCI's ALASKA webpage.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/home.do;jsessionid=0000GpHzqIMEN4-z07pptXMhxP5:10ktdmm42?portCode=SIT

Note it states:

DAYS (meaning daytime) onboard, Jeans OR Slacks are permissible.

But when it comes to Evening Wear (The Evening Meal) JEANS are not on the list, ONLY SLACKS.

And it does not say "SUGGESTED" when talking about evening wear.

Rather it states: "For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire:"

I've only been on one Alaskan cruise and it was 4 years ago. I didn't find it any different in the level of dress than any other cruise we've been on. The temperature inside in the evening is controlled, just as it is on a warm weather cruise.

The challenge is to be able to pack lightly enough since you have to pack (much of the time) for cooler weather. It may be why Alaskan cruises are becoming a little more casual. On second thought, I read here all the time where people are preferring more casual on all cruises...so no different still. People just like to wear jeans to dinner, I suppose.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/home.do;jsessionid=0000GpHzqIMEN4-z07pptXMhxP5:10ktdmm42?portCode=SIT

Note it states:

But when it comes to Evening Wear (The Evening Meal) JEANS are not on the list, ONLY SLACKS.

I knew the kind, courteous replies would likely not last.

I beg to differ when you say the attire is not "suggested". Per the RCI website, it does say their recommendations are suggestions. And I quote (emphasis mine):

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

However, I digress. As I stated in my original post, I was aware what the guidelines are. I was just curious if it was generally more accepted to wear jeans in Alaska versus other itineraries.

If anyone happens to have any personal experience in regards to this topic, I look forward to your responses.

I've only been on one Alaskan cruise and it was 4 years ago. I didn't find it any different in the level of dress than any other cruise we've been on. The temperature inside in the evening is controlled, just as it is on a warm weather cruise.

The challenge is to be able to pack lightly enough since you have to pack (much of the time) for cooler weather. It may be why Alaskan cruises are becoming a little more casual. On second thought, I read here all the time where people are preferring more casual on all cruises...so no different still. People just like to wear jeans to dinner, I suppose.

Thanks for your personal experience. I have actually been to Alaska once before as well, but it was several years ago and I can't remember what most people wore. I do know I've never packed jeans to wear to the MDR though, so I know I didn't do it, just couldn't remember what other folks did.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I never dress up because RCI or any other line that suggests it. I live in jeans and t's. I dress up for my wife when we go on a date whether it's on a cruise line or a dinner date. My wife is the one I try to please, nobody else and she deserves it.

ITA about the temperature control. You'll need lighter weight clothing for inside the ship. The outside temperature may be 50 or 60 so the inside temperature is warmer. On sea days or when we were back on the ship early DH wore a golf type shirt or LS lightweight jersey type while I was comfortable in jeans, 3/4 sleeve tops and flip flops! It seemed we changed at least 2 even 3 times a day! :eek: :D :)

I beg to differ when you say the attire is not "suggested". Per the RCI website, it does say their recommendations are suggestions. And I quote (emphasis mine):

However, I digress. As I stated in my original post, I was aware what the guidelines are. I was just curious if it was generally more accepted to wear jeans in Alaska versus other itineraries.

If anyone happens to have any personal experience in regards to this topic, I look forward to your responses.

You obviously did not click on the link:

As it it does NOT say their recommendations are suggestions.

But rather:

"For evening wear, COUNT ON three basic types of attire:"

Note it states:

There is nothing discourtious about my post. Just FACTS. Must be your perception. As most people who are looking for excuses to not follow the dress code, they never want to take what is on RCI's website as fact. They always look for someone to approve their defiance, and that makes it O.K. - NOT!

We followed the normal dress code on our 14 day cruise to Alaska. Hubby did wear pressed starched jeans on two of our casual nights. He was not turned away from the dining room, but I wasn't real happy about his choice. I like to dress up on our cruises, part of the fun. I did find it harder to pack for Alaska because of the warmer and colder temperatures. We flew Southwest so I was allowed two bags for free. If I had to pay for the bags I might have packed differently. I don't know that I saw more jeans on the Alaska sailing then I have on our Caribbean sailings. There really weren't smart casual nights, it was either formal or casual.

You obviously did not click on the link:

As it it does NOT say their recommendations are suggestions.

But rather:

"For evening wear, COUNT ON three basic types of attire:"

I did click on the link you provided. Perhaps you didn't click on the link I provided.

You are accurate that on the link you provided RCI says you can "count on three basic types of attire." Those are casual, smart casual, and formal. However, on the link I provided it clearly states some suggestions of sample types of clothing that would fit in each category. Nowhere does it say those are the only types of clothing permitted. Nowhere does it say jeans are not allowed. You are merely inferring that because jeans are not on the list means that it is forbidden.

RCI is very clear on specific policies about what is forbidden and what is allowed. Those policies are listed here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do;jsessionid=0000WdIUi36ExF0QLiI2WL8tyPA:12h3g0fq2?snav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqSubjectId=333&pnav=5 The "dress code" does not appear on the list of their policies. The suggested attire is merely that - a suggestion - not a policy. RCI also suggests I book all of my shore excursions through them, however I am certainly not going to do that just because they suggest it.

I am not asking how to violate any official policy on board. I am simply asking what passengers typically wear to the MDR on casual nights on a cruise to Alaska.

In the past I have always followed the suggested dress code and fit right in. However, I realize that typical attire may differ on various itineraries and I was just seeking clarification if passengers dressed more casually on an Alaskan cruise or if it was the same as on all other cruises.

The reason I said your reply wasn't kind and courteous was because you clearly did not answer the question I was asking in my original post. I specifically said I did not wish to rehash the typical "dress code" argument too often seen on this board. However, you felt the need to "school" me on something I clearly said I already knew the answer to.

Since this discussion is quickly headed to the direction of beating a dead horse when it comes to suggested attire on a cruise ship (and that is specifically what I said I did not wish to discuss), I will refrain from replying to any future posts you make on this thread. I suppose that will give you the last word, but that doesn't matter because you haven't added anything substantive to the discussion about what I originally asked anyway.

I look forward to reading posts from anyone who wishes to add their personal experiences on an Alaskan cruise while sailing RCI regarding whether or not the attire was different on that itinerary than any other.

We followed the normal dress code on our 14 day cruise to Alaska. Hubby did wear pressed starched jeans on two of our casual nights. He was not turned away from the dining room, but I wasn't real happy about his choice. I like to dress up on our cruises, part of the fun. I did find it harder to pack for Alaska because of the warmer and colder temperatures. We flew Southwest so I was allowed two bags for free. If I had to pay for the bags I might have packed differently. I don't know that I saw more jeans on the Alaska sailing then I have on our Caribbean sailings. There really weren't smart casual nights, it was either formal or casual.

Why were you unhappy with his choice of pressed starched jeans? Did you think he was out of place?

DH and I just returned from RCI Alaska trip. We did MTD (my-time dining). I wore something like those black exericse pants with a white strip down the side. I did wear nice tops and jewlery to jazz it up. DH wore dark blue jeans. We were not turned away. How people dressed in the MTD section of the MDR didn't seem to matter. We ate at MTD (prepaid gratituties) only twice by choice. The other evenings we ate at the windjammer. They have the Mongolian grill there that stir fried super meals (twice). We enjoyed eating out on the back of the ship in the fresh air, watching the sights. Had to wear warm clothes out there. One evening we ate at Portofino. There I wore the same black exercise pants with the white strip but wore sparkley top and nice jewelry. DH wore a black tux vest, long sleeve blue oxford and a tie. I wore dark green, waterproof Mucker shoes and DH wore black tennis shoes, along with his dark blue jeans. We were not turned away. Above the table, we looked acceptable.

We travel very light and have a rule of only one, roll-on suitcase each plus one backpack each. Works for us. Bringing suit jacket and dress shoes just don't make the cut, though. Again, it works for us. We saw several people wearing white tennis shoes with a suit while in Alaska. I could only conclude it was a suitcase matter. Most of the folks, however, dressed to "code" on formal night. I say to each their own. If I did Alaska again, I'd dress the same way. My pants pulled double duty of tourist and evening ware. Hope this helps.

There is nothing discourtious about my post. Just FACTS. Must be your perception. As most people who are looking for excuses to not follow the dress code, they never want to take what is on RCI's website as fact. They always look for someone to approve their defiance, and that makes it O.K. - NOT!

The OP didn't ask for a dress code discussion, he/she asked for personal experiences. So, yes your post was discourteous in calling her a defiant code breaker.:mad:

My experience in cruising Alaska is that it was no different in the MDR than any other cruise. On formal night there were many tux wearers as well as suits. On casual evenings there were many in jeans, same as any other cruise. Don't recall too many, if any shorts however.

Why were you unhappy with his choice of pressed starched jeans? Did you think he was out of place?

I can see him in starched jeans any time. :D The cruise was our first time using MTD. I packed black pants and switched tops. I was in hopes he would have his slacks on with shirts, allowing me to dress up a little more. I could have worn smart casual with him in jeans, but thought that would look funny. I chose to dress down to what he was wearing thus it spoiled my fun of dressing up....don't get to do it often. Our church is rather casual and my job didn't require dressing up. He had his slacks with him so he could have put them on. We won't be taking formal clothes on our Majesty cruise.... he grinned. I did grin back and tell him that we are dressing up for the January Radiance cruise.;)

I have done 3 Alaskan Cruises (RCCL 2000, NCL 2004 and NCL 2005). From my experiences I found the dress code on all 3 of the Alaskan cruises I was on to be much more casual then any Caribbean or Mexican cruise at the time. Many people wore jeans to the dining room and this was years ago when cruises still tended to be a little more formal in the dining rooms. In fact on the one of our NCL cruises our waiter told us it was perfectly acceptable to wear jeans in the dining room on their Alaskan cruises. For all the fashion code police out there I did not wear jeans as I had packed a few outfits specifically for the MDR, however, I would have felt perfectly comfortable wearing jeans had I chosen to.

I also found that I needed a sweater or light jacket while inside the ship, I am an Arizonan girl through and through I guess because I was cold on these cruises! I had to dress up in my huge snow coat and gloves just to sit out on the balcony but it is gorgeous scenery up there so enjoy!

Archived