Is it customary to wear jeans in the MDR on an Alaskan itinerary?

andrea

I did click on the link you provided. Perhaps you didn't click on the link I provided.

You are accurate that on the link you provided RCI says you can "count on three basic types of attire." Those are casual, smart casual, and formal. However, on the link I provided it clearly states some suggestions of sample types of clothing that would fit in each category. Nowhere does it say those are the only types of clothing permitted. Nowhere does it say jeans are not allowed. You are merely inferring that because jeans are not on the list means that it is forbidden.

RCI is very clear on specific policies about what is forbidden and what is allowed. Those policies are listed here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do;jsessionid=0000WdIUi36ExF0QLiI2WL8tyPA:12h3g0fq2?snav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqSubjectId=333&pnav=5 The "dress code" does not appear on the list of their policies. The suggested attire is merely that - a suggestion - not a policy. RCI also suggests I book all of my shore excursions through them, however I am certainly not going to do that just because they suggest it.

I am not asking how to violate any official policy on board. I am simply asking what passengers typically wear to the MDR on casual nights on a cruise to Alaska.

In the past I have always followed the suggested dress code and fit right in. However, I realize that typical attire may differ on various itineraries and I was just seeking clarification if passengers dressed more casually on an Alaskan cruise or if it was the same as on all other cruises.

The reason I said your reply wasn't kind and courteous was because you clearly did not answer the question I was asking in my original post. I specifically said I did not wish to rehash the typical "dress code" argument too often seen on this board. However, you felt the need to "school" me on something I clearly said I already knew the answer to.

Since this discussion is quickly headed to the direction of beating a dead horse when it comes to suggested attire on a cruise ship (and that is specifically what I said I did not wish to discuss), I will refrain from replying to any future posts you make on this thread. I suppose that will give you the last word, but that doesn't matter because you haven't added anything substantive to the discussion about what I originally asked anyway.

I look forward to reading posts from anyone who wishes to add their personal experiences on an Alaskan cruise while sailing RCI regarding whether or not the attire was different on that itinerary than any other.

You specifically asked about Alaskan Cruises....The link I provided was specifically for Alaskan Cruises. Read it again...near the top.

Also, inthe link you provided, the dress code is not suggested, but there are suggestions in the dress code as to what should be worn. This is to benefit those who do not have a clue.

The OP didn't ask for a dress code discussion, he/she asked for personal experiences. So, yes your post was discourteous in calling her a defiant code breaker.:mad:

My experience in cruising Alaska is that it was no different in the MDR than any other cruise. On formal night there were many tux wearers as well as suits. On casual evenings there were many in jeans, same as any other cruise. Don't recall too many, if any shorts however.

I did not mention any names....

and if anyone refuses to follow any rule, it is customary to say that person is defiant.

Since I follow the dress code and I was on an Alaskan cruise, then I posted my personal experience.

I knew the kind, courteous replies would likely not last.

I beg to differ when you say the attire is not "suggested". Per the RCI website, it does say their recommendations are suggestions. And I quote (emphasis mine):

However, I digress. As I stated in my original post, I was aware what the guidelines are. I was just curious if it was generally more accepted to wear jeans in Alaska versus other itineraries.

If anyone happens to have any personal experience in regards to this topic, I look forward to your responses.

I was on an Alaskan cruise this past summer on Rhapsody. There was a wide variety of attire in the MDR ranging from blouses and slacks to shorts and flip-flops :rolleyes: (yes... seriously). It did, however, seem more relaxed than my Mexico cruise this past spring. I would say more than 50% of the people wore jeans or shorts.

Aside from the few people who get their panties in a wad over the subject you will see more jeans worn on an Alaskan cruise compared to any other even though their not an approved attire. The Alaskan cruises are definitely less formal although many people do like to haul the extra formal clothes along with the extra heavier sweats & shoes. Be comfortable & go with the jeans on the casual evenings.

My experience on two different Alaska cruises was that Alaska was a lot more casual than other destinations.

In September, on Rhapsody, one of the men in our little group wore a long sleeved black shirt and black cotton slacks on both formal nights. On the other nights, he wore jeans. Nothing was ever said to him by anyone. He and his wife had left a whole suitcase behind and he was making do with what he had. They had smartly packed each suitcase with clothing for both of them, in case one was lost. They just didn't think it would be themselves who "lost" the suitcase in their own home.

At a table near us I noticed one man in a short sleeved polo shirt on the first formal night. He didn't seem to be having any trouble getting his dinner. I saw very few dinner jackets and very, very few long dresses, except on our teens, who wear them beautifully, in my probably biased opinion.

Many years ago, on a HAL ship in Alaska, a table mate wore a leather sport coat on the first formal night, with a bolo tie. He indicated that he felt out of place, but that he was as dressed up as he was ever going to be. He and his wife didn't show up for the second formal night, as I recall. That cruise seemed less "dressy" to me than other HAL cruises, too.

I rather like to dress up, but I did wear a black denim skirt on one of the casual nights. I'm not sure that anyone else notices that it is denim.

The compass has not said no jeans in the MDR for a few years, so I guess that is the answer.

On the 34 cruises that I have been on with Royal Caribbean, it has NEVER said no jeans in the MDR.

and if anyone refuses to follow any rule, it is customary to say that person is defiant.

Since I follow the dress code and I was on an Alaskan cruise, then I posted my personal experience.

Who's rules. Must be yours, certainly not RCI. I also follow the dress code, Tux on formal nights, suit or blazer/slacks on smart casual and on at least one casual night per cruise I wear jeans. I must have missed the part about your personal experience.:rolleyes:

The OP didn't ask about rules, but whether or not it is customary to wear jeans in the MDR. The answer is yes, regardless of how you feel about the defiant ones. it is done by many people and hence is customary.:eek:

On the 34 cruises that I have been on with Royal Caribbean, it has NEVER said no jeans in the MDR.

Who's rules. Must be yours, certainly not RCI. I also follow the dress code, Tux on formal nights, suit or blazer/slacks on smart casual and on at least one casual night per cruise I wear jeans. I must have missed the part about your personal experience.:rolleyes:

The OP didn't ask about rules, but whether or not it is customary to wear jeans in the MDR. The answer is yes, regardless of how you feel about the defiant ones. it is done by many people and hence is customary.:eek:

Fortunately, the majority DO follow RCI's dress code, which is what is considered customary.

I was on a 14 day Alaskian cruise in May and on all casual nights everyone at my table of 9 had jeans on. No one looked out of place and we were all fine with this policy. I just wish I knew about it ahead of time. I had a lot of cloths I didn't wear.:rolleyes:

I was on a 14 day Alaskian cruise in May and on all casual nights everyone at my table of 9 had jeans on. No one looked out of place and we were all fine with this policy. I just wish I knew about it ahead of time. I had a lot of cloths I didn't wear.:rolleyes:

Yes, I have the same problem...I usually have too many shorts and T's (that I wear during the day on deck). Probably because we buy souvenir

shirts and wear those.

On the water everything is clear. It is a gift for the soul; a clarity born of sea and salt air that touches the small inner voice within us that has been too long silenced by the chaos of life. It is a gift that heals; that gives us power to rid ourselves of confusion, worry, guilt, and regret; that gives us faith in ourselves and our dreams.

Obviously whoever wrote this never cruised with the anti jeans crowd.

I can see him in starched jeans any time. :D The cruise was our first time using MTD. I packed black pants and switched tops. I was in hopes he would have his slacks on with shirts, allowing me to dress up a little more. I could have worn smart casual with him in jeans, but thought that would look funny. I chose to dress down to what he was wearing thus it spoiled my fun of dressing up....don't get to do it often. Our church is rather casual and my job didn't require dressing up. He had his slacks with him so he could have put them on. We won't be taking formal clothes on our Majesty cruise.... he grinned. I did grin back and tell him that we are dressing up for the January Radiance cruise.;)

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Archived