Dumb and dumber

DAllenTCY

Short story...elderly man from FLA leaves passport at home....arrives for cruise in CALIF and is denied boarding. Relative finds the document on Thursday, but it is too late in the east cost time zone to send out. Next morning (Friday) passport is sent by FedEx or UPS to the hotel where the guest is "stuck" because he missed the ship.

IN SUCH AN EVENT....PAY THE EXTRA TO HAVE IT DELIVERED ON SATURDAY.

Now passport is to be delivered on Monday morning...too late to catch a flight out to the ship with passport in hand. So now they have to find a way to get to the ship half way through the cruise. For a few dollars more, they could have had the passport tomorrow and been on their way. Now it will be Tuesday at the earliest. All expenses to be paid by the guest, and they will be lucky to salvage 7 days of a 15 day itinerary.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT FEDEX AND UPS WILL NOT DELIVER ON SATURDAYS UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR THAT SERVICE, AND PAY FOR IT. THE US POSTAL SERVICE IS YOUR BEST CHOICE IN SUCH AN INSTANCE, SATURDAY DELIVERY IS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

David

THE US POSTAL SERVICE IS YOUR BEST CHOICE IN SUCH AN INSTANCE, SATURDAY DELIVERY IS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

David

Ummmmm, yeah.... I don't think I'd rely on the USPS for much of anything. Especially when it states service times are not guaranteed.

Sad situation, though. Especially since FEDEX will essentially get your item anywhere on time - you just have to pay $$$$$$$.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT FEDEX AND UPS WILL NOT DELIVER ON SATURDAYS UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR THAT SERVICE, AND PAY FOR IT. THE US POSTAL SERVICE IS YOUR BEST CHOICE IN SUCH AN INSTANCE, SATURDAY DELIVERY IS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST

No...Your best choice is to REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR PASSPORT!!!!!

IMHO thats what the Hal Blue Folder is for, Passport Resides in there all the time. Plus I always carry photocopy of all documents, credit card information, flight info boarding pass etc in different location of luggage. We also leave extra copies with our son at home. It only takes a few mins to get it faxed if you loose everything. EG a natural emergency. Or some unforeseen occurrence, fire, theft etc.

When I read stuff like this, it some how makes me feel good that I am obsessed with checking, rechecking AND rechecking to the point of making my husband nuts...not to mention the note posted on the front door (the last thing I will see) that says check for tickets and PP.....Ican survive with just that if need be....what an awful thing

When I read stuff like this, it some how makes me feel good that I am obsessed with checking, rechecking AND rechecking to the point of making my husband nuts...not to mention the note posted on the front door (the last thing I will see) that says check for tickets and PP.....Ican survive with just that if need be....what an awful thing

I'm glad I'm not the only one to nag a spouse over this! I do the note on the door thing, too.. and then when I get in the car heading to the airport, I won't start the car until I check "just one more time"... :D

I also make lots of list and cross out items as we go. Notes for last minute things to be packed the morning of. Notes on the door too. Still, on one of our land trips, DH left his suit bag on the back of the door. We were heading to Paris where all restaurants required jackets. Don't know what would have happened since our plane never took off. Long story. Now, all suitcases to go are in the hall the night before. Passports where they belong the night before. Pocketbook by the door. Live and learn.

This kind of thing can happen to all of us! I am normally a very organised person and back in April, DH and I went on a river cruise in Amsterdam. We had driven about 5 miles from our home when for whatever reason, I realised I had left my passport at home. :eek: I have travelled quite extensively previously and never done anything like that before.

So for our Princess Ruby cruise in August, I had my usual little folder thingy which had everything in it - passports, tickets, Euros, insurance docs etc. Checked and double and triple checked it in the days before leaving to make sure everything was present and correct. So we get in the car to drive to the airport and this time we had only driven about a mile down the road when I realised I had left the folder on the kitchen worktop!

I think old age is finally catching up with me! (Have the "Life begins at" birthday next month :D)

Archived