A few newbie questions

Hi all,

Just a few newbie question, sorry for that....

What is the muster drill, heard a little about it and have picked up that people don't like it, but what is it, how long does it take and what do you need to do?

I think I've got the tips situation under control (we've pre-booked them), but I have read that some of the room attendendants get a bit uptight about it. Do I need to tell them that we've pre-booked?. The pre-booked tips cover the room and dinning rooms but we tip the bell boys at the time in cash? any one else in cash at the time?

Do you need to book the tenders to get of the boat, or do you just turn up?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure I'll have more in time

Thanks so much in advance

Martin

Hi all,

What is the muster drill, heard a little about it and have picked up that people don't like it, but what is it, how long does it take and what do you need to do?

Muster is a compulsory safety drill. Each cabin has life jackets for the occupants. When the signal is heard you head off to your Muster point with everyone else so that in the event of an emergency you know where to go and what to do. Directions will be in your cabin and your steward will answer any questions you have. The ship won't sail until this has been done.

I think I've got the tips situation under control (we've pre-booked them), but I have read that some of the room attendendants get a bit uptight about it. Do I need to tell them that we've pre-booked?. The pre-booked tips cover the room and dinning rooms but we tip the bell boys at the time in cash? any one else in cash at the time?

The stewards will be aware of who has pre paid their tips. I haven't noticed any issues with using this service. Room service stewards are the only ones not included in this service..... if I'm mistaken I know someone here will correct me ;)

You just turn up. If you are with a ship organised tour you will go with your group.

Martin

Hope that helps :)

Hi all,

The muster drill is a compulsory safety drill that every passenger has to go through, regardless of how many times they might have cruised before. Usually on the back of the door of your cabin there will be a map and instructions, and there will be life jackets in your closet, sufficient for the numbers of people booked for that cabin (and often extras). If you need a child's life jacket, check with your room steward when you first get in to your cabin.

About an hour or so before the ship sails away, there will be an announcement that the muster drill is beginning. You grab your life jacket from your room, head to the location indicated on your door (often a lounge or public area on the ship, but sometimes on a deck), and listen to the instructions about how to put on your life jacket, what to do if this were a real emergency, and so on.

If everyone shows up on time, it'll take about 20 minutes to a half-hour. If folks are late (usually the ones who don't think this is important, or "we've done it a dozen times; why do we have to do it again??"), it could take longer.

Think of it like the safety card in the airline seat pocket -- you're instructed to take ten minutes, follow the flight attendant as she/he gives instructions, and you're done.

Yes, the pre-paid tips cover the room stewards (the ones who tidy up your room, usually several times a day), and all the waiters, servers, other folks who do food service at all the venues on the ship, for all meals, whether you happen to be eating there or not.

You don't need to tell them that you've pre-paid. They'll know. And it shouldn't matter. It's really pretty rare (despite what you read here from some disgruntled passengers) that you'll not get exemplary service from them.

Some folks might find that their stewards have really gone out of their way to make their cabin service special. When that happens they'll tip the stewards an extra bit of money -- $20 or so -- at the end of the cruise. But this is NOT necessary, if you've prepaid the tips already.

If by "bell-boys" you mean the person (could be a woman!) who brings you room service, it is customary to tip a small amount -- $1 - $5 when they bring the food to your room. You don't need to tip anyone who brings your luggage to your room (and takes it away). You won't see them anyway -- that happens either while you're exploring the ship when you first get on, or in the middle of the night on the last night of your cruise, all "invisible" to you.

Other tips: If you buy liquor or soft drinks, and on some lines, specialty coffees, there will be a 15% gratuity appearing on your bill, which will be handed to you at the time of service. You sign this, "authorize" the 15%, and it gets added to your on-board account, payable at the end of your cruise.

If you use spa services, or have a child in day care, it is customary to tip those folks. Since I don't use either service, I don't know if there is a tip built in to the spa services like there is for alcohol.

You just show up -- or first you show up at the spot where a ship-sponsored excursion has asked you to appear (so that all the folks on that excursion are accounted for), and then you board. You don't need to book ahead, and you don't need to tip anyone here. You'll hear an announcement about where to show up (which deck -- this varies based on where the ship is anchoring, and the tides), and so you do.

If you're at a port where you're tendering, be sure to note the schedule of when the tenders return to the ship (this will happen throughout the time the ship is in port - -they'll travel back and forth, but on a schedule), and make sure you're at the dock, ready to board, to get back to the ship -- especially if it's the last tender of the day!

Martin

You're welcome! :D

Thanks for the answers. What about the reports I read here that says you don't need to wear your life-jackets for the muster drill now?

Yes that has been widely reported both on this and other boards, you will find out when you are on board. Sadly this will stop scenes like on my last cruise of a lovely bride shuffling along in her wedding dress with a lovely orange life vest. :D

I'm guessing that by "bell boys" you meant porters? (The guys who take your luggage when you arrive at the pier?) Then, yes, you tip them when they take your bags. Acceptable amount would be about $1-$2 per bag, but obviously totally up to you.

Same with post-cruise. Once you collect your bags, you may choose to be helped by a porter, then you tip him once he's finished unloading your luggage curbside.

HTH

A~

Also, if you take any shore excursions with the ship, make sure you bring some extra cash to tip your tour guide(s). This sounds like common sense, but I remember my first excursion was to Dunn's river falls. I thought everything like that was included in the price of the tour so didn't have any cash at the end to tip my guide that had helped us climb the falls.:o

Archived