Bus times Anchorage to Kenai & keni to Whittier?

cescape

We are doing Dawn Princess southbound on May 23rd. We are considering a 2 day stay at Anchorage then I understand Princess has a bus to that runs to the Kenai lodge and spending a couple of days there and busing to Whittier to catch the ship. Any info as to travel times etc. and/or any sugestions? We have taken the train north 3 times and loved it but want to try something different. Copper river is too long of a bus ride for us. Thanks..Alaska Rules!

You would be bused with the cruisetour passengers, running several times per day. But think clearly why you want to go to Cooper Landing- fishing is excellent here , but little else going on. And no place I would be without a car. Seward has many more attractions and the rail to there is superior your other Alaska rail trips. You could take the rail to Seward then the shuttle bus to Whittier- (private).

thanks for the reply Budget Queen, you are the best. Basicly we are just looking for something to do pre-cruise. I love the train but after three times up to Fairbanks is enough. I was considering the train up to Talkeetna and maybe bus to Mt. Mckinley lodge for a couple of nights, but then the trip to Whittier...I just don't know the distances or options. Any sugestions?

Have you been on the Seward/Anchorage portion of the ARR??? If not this is the most scenic portion of the entire RR, and the big bonus- plenty of activites in Seward. But since you ask- no I would never consider going to McKinley lodge via rail and being without a car- you are 50 miles from Talkeetna and out in the middle of nowhere, not many activites and McKinley is rarely visable. Is there a reason why you are only considering Princess lodges???

thanks again. no I have never done anything but the rail northbound and fly back to ship. I have never really considered any other lodges but certainly would if you have recomendations. As the ship leaves from Whittier and I assume the rail runs from Anchorage to Seward and sounds like I might be able to convience my wife to do another train, how long is the trip and how do we get from Seward (stay there for a few nights?) to Whittier? Thanks in advance.

http://www.polarexpressak.com/rates.html

In Seward, the Edgewater is a lovely hotel. http://www.hoteledgewater.com/

There are a wide range of lodgings with B&B's also excellent.

Anchorage-Seward via rail 4+ hours, scenic the whole way- much more so than northbound out of Anchorage.

Archived