New to Royal Caribbean

Hello, my family is booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise for next month. We have only done one other cruise and it was a Disney cruise. We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas.

I have TONS of questions. Of course the basics, what is the boat like? I will have 2 kids with me, aged 2 & 6. It will be mostly just me and them as my hubby will be doing business conferences on the ship.

I am not a huge fan of being on the ship, I more enjoy being out at the ports. The biggest thing I am dreading is supper. Is it really just a huge dining room where everyone eats together? At disney we were rotated through restaurants. What is the dining experience with this ship?

We will leave Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Key West, Cozumel and Belize plus one day at sea. I am very familiar with Key West, but have not been to either one of the other ports. What is there to do their that is kid friendly? I am excited at the prospect of visiting Mayan ruins. We all enjoy sight seeing off the beaten path. We are not interested in the typical touristy stuff that seems to be at the ports. We enjoy seeing historical places and animal watching. Animal watching is a very big deal to both my older daughter and me. We are beyond excited about the fact there are toucans and such in Belize. We are comfortable going off the beaten path. We prefer walking (up to 3-4 miles), but are not totally opposed to transportation (taxi, bus, ferry, etc.). One of our favorite past excursions was walking through Nassau to the Queen's Staircase.

As I said, we have one day at sea. I am pretty anxious about this as I do have the kids, one who is too young for the kids clubs onboard. What is there to do on the ship with the kids? Mind you, the youngest isn't allowed in the pools.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello Cobbmom & welcome to CC. The Enchantment is a Vision Class so a little smaller then the Radiance Class. We have not been on that class yet, as we love the Radiance Class. You won't have the Royal Promenade, but a lovely Centrum that is around 8 Decks Tall. The Radiance Class rises to the 10th Deck. Here is a photo i found for the Enchantment Centrum. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2787754500046450155lsPrSx

The main Diningroom is probably 2 levels, and if you have chosen main dining then you will be seated with others, unlike Anytime dining where you will have differant people each night. I am sure others will pop in who can give you more insight to this ship. have an enjoyable Cruise and if you haven't done so, go the the Roll Call section for RCL, scroll to the Enchatment and look for your Cruise listed and join the Roll Call. Then you can meet others going with you.

Gay

My 15yo DD and I were on the Enchantment in June and are getting back on Thursday and cannot wait!!! The Enchantment is a great ship. The ports you are going to are fabulous. Several suggestions for you:

Cozumel: Starting with a beach break is a lot of fun. Beaches like Paradise Beach offer an "all the beach toys" for $10 for the day. The water is calm and clear. Check out their web site for further information.

Belize: Belize Excursions offers a Myan ruin tour that begins with a boat ride thru the rain forest where you will see many types of animals, including alligators, and many types of birds. The boat will hold a small group (perhaps your kids, you and another couple), and the tour is fun and informative. The ruins are fabulous. The tour includes lunch.

On the ship: The kids programs are fabulous. Your oldest will have a great time with these folk...so great (s)he won't want to leave. They also have a babysitting service available if you want to get away to a spa appointment.

If you would like to check out Chops, you need to make your reservation before 7PM. If your little one becomes bored easily, this is probably not a great place to go as it is a properly served, multicourse meal. Your oldest might get a kick out of having a "fancy dinner" with Mom.

Towards the front of the ship is a bungee trampaline. Lots of fun.

Don't forget to relax. I am a grandma now and one of the things I have learned along the way is that there is very little that cannot be washed up, swept up or wiped off. Very few issues are true tragedies, including spilled milk, food spilled on clothes or your child announcing loudly in the dining room that "that man talks real funny Mom. Is he an alien?" after you waiter walks away. (We, including the waiter, had a great laugh with that one).

I think you will enjoy dining....you can certainly request a private table if you don't like to meet other people. If you don't like the dining room, then just eat at one of the other venues.

In Cozumel, I might suggest doing the Xcaret eco park excursion. There is a lot of wildlife. If your husband can go on the excursion, the older child will probably enjoy the underground river, while the other parent and younger child heads to the beach to wait at the other end of the river.

There is a great beach for kids, even the 2yo. (flat calm, protected, and shallow) as well as other beaches for older kids and adults.

We didn't get to see nearly all the animals they had there, but still had a great time. We were able to swim right up to the dolphin area, and look at the dolphins close up.

I really enjoyed the Belize Zoo a few years ago, and your children might like it a lot. There is an opportunity to pet a snake! The zoo is done so that the animals have a lot of room and the human beings are the ones somewhat entrapped.

I enjoyed the concept.

I would buy the ship tour, which I usually avoid. Belize has a bit of a crime problem, so a family might be better off in an organized group than taking a taxi.

OK folks, I am getting nervous about this cruise. A little background, my hubby booked this cruise as there are seminars onboard for his business. We are just going along for the ride. I did NOT research this cruise, this ship, anything at all. So I don't really know what I am getting into.

We have 2 adjoining inside staterooms. OMG they are TINY. I didn't think much of it when we booked, as that is what we had on our disney cruise, but RC staterooms are a fraction of the size of disney's! Are we going to feel like sardines? How in the world are they going to fit a crib into one of those rooms?

I am panicking over dining too. What are our dining options? Is the main dining room the only option included in our fare for supper? Do you really sit at a table with many other people? If so, do they take in to consideration that we have 2 small kids? I mean, I have taught my kids manners and do expect good behavior from them when they go out to eat, but they are still little kids. I don't think a honeymooning couple or an elderly childless couple would want to spend their supper out with us! Do they try to put "like" people together (i.e., people with small kids)? During the day, are there things like food stands and such where you can just pick up a burger or pizza? Do they have kid-friendly foods? What are all of our dining options?

Also, what in the world are we going to do on the ship?? We have one day where we are just at sea. My youngest can't do the pool or the kids club. Do they have a movie theater? Or live shows appropriate for kids?

Let me just say upfront, I am not a cruise ship kind of person. Any second I can spend off the boat I will. I like exploring and adventures. So am getting very nervous about this experience and am really trying to keep a positive attitude and open mind.

Oh another thing, my husband purchased a coke-card thingy for me because I am a diet coke addict. I just assumed (yeah, I know) there would be a coke fountain available 24/7 on the ship because that is the way it was on our last ship. Now I am thinking, maybe that isn't so. What are your options with a coke-card thingy?

You have several options for meals. You can choose a Family Dining Option (depending on the age of your children) where they will feed the children more quickly and then the staff takes them to the Adventure Ocean program for kids, that is usually at early seating. There is late seating - but a problem with small children, you can also choose My Time Dining. With that - you choose the time that is best for you to dine. With that option you are less likely to be put at a table with other people. It has been our experience that they try to put like people together.

The Windjammer buffet is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very casual. There is a burger and pizza place in the Solarium that is open most afternoons and evenings. The ship only has 1 specialty restaurant - Chops. It is $25 per person extra. This would be a good option to feed the kids early in the Windjammer and use the baby sitting service or the Adventure Ocean (depending on the age of your children) for you to have quiet time with your husband.

If you have the Coke card - you hand anyone in the restaurants, bars, theaters or pool deck your card and they will get you a soft drink. You will also have an insulated cup to use - but I just as soon get it in a glass.

As for the cabin - I don't know about inside cabins on Enchantment - we've only been in the balcony. You might want to check on the family and cruising board and check in with Your Roll Call Forum. There should be lots of info there.

Relax and enjoy. Enchantment is a wonderful ship.

So, what if I want a diet coke at 4am? I know, sounds ridiculous, but it did happen our last cruise.

My youngest is too young for the Adventure Ocean program and I am not keen on making her be stuck in the tiny room with a stranger so we will not be using the babysitting service.

I have to say, I am sorry for all the stupid questions, but royal caribbean's website is useless.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to get it from room service or if any bars are open. Your best bet is to buy a can before you go to your cabin and put it on ice. I don't know if the interior cabins have ice boxes or not. Someone else will have to answer that question.

You will want ot visit the cruising with families board. They have a great deal of insight to cruising with small children. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the babysitting services offerered on board.

So, I've never visited the Disney website - were you able to find your answer to getting a Cola at 4am?

Sorry to sound snippy, but I'm getting the feeling you would prefer to do most anything than go on this cruise. You might want to do some searches on here (if you think the RCCL website is bad, :eek: this one is worse.)

So, what if I want a diet coke at 4am? I know, sounds ridiculous, but it did happen our last cruise.

My youngest is too young for the Adventure Ocean program and I am not keen on making her be stuck in the tiny room with a stranger so we will not be using the babysitting service.

I have to say, I am sorry for all the stupid questions, but royal caribbean's website is useless.

If you want a Diet Coke at 4 am, call room service and order it. There is a surcharge for room service orders placed between midnight and 5 am.

Since you have chosen to travel with a child too young to participate in the excellent Adventure Ocean program, and have elected to book inside staterooms, I'm not sure what options you have other than staying in that room with her if you feel uncomfortable using their babysitting service.

Maybe you should explore the cost of changing at least one of those insides to an oceanview room or a balcony stateroom. You might still be stuck in the cabin with her at night but the window or balcony might make it seem less claustrophobic for both of you.

You don't say exactly how many people are in your party but it is probably possible to request and get a table in the main dining room for only those in your party so you don't need to fear that your kids might create a problem for any tablemates. Also the Windjammer for any or all of your meals might be a good solution and offer a less stressful atmosphere while your family is dining.

Don't worry about asking "stupid" questions. Most posters have been in your shoes at one time or another and are more than willing to offer their advice and suggestions.:)

The biggest thing I am dreading is supper. Is it really just a huge dining room where everyone eats together? At disney we were rotated through restaurants. What is the dining experience with this ship?
Yes, it is one HUGE dining room, three stories high, where everyone eats together. My thoughts on this subject are rather varied:

The dining room is MUCH more grand than any of the restaurants on the Disney ships. Yes, you'll probably be seated with other people, which is nice -- I've never sat with anyone awful, and they do a good job of matching people up (or else we're really just an awful lot alike!). We sat with other people on Disney too. Personally though, I do not care to eat there every night for a whole week; 3-4 lengthy MDR meals are enough for me in the course of a week. I do like the way Disney offers three different restaurants.

However, you don't need to dread dinner. You can go to the buffet, which isn't such a long-drawn out affair. You can order room service, or you can have pizza or sandwiches from the Promenade. All of these are included in your cruise price. Especially with small children in tow, these are great dinner options, and you don't have to dress everyone for dinner!

I am excited at the prospect of visiting Mayan ruins.
Okay, you want advice, right? Even if it's not what you want to hear? Brace yourself.

I've seen Mayan ruins -- not the ones near Cozumel, but others near Mexico City -- and they are magnificent. Definitely something to see! But I cannot recommend doing them on a cruise, especially not with children.

Look into the details of that excursion. It's an all-day thing, and MOST of your time is spent in transit. You'll drive to a ferry and cross from Cozumel over to the mainland, then you'll board a bus and drive quite some ways. (Notice, that's already three forms of transportation, three times you're moving your kids into different seats). When you finally reach the ruins, you'll be allowed only a short period of time to sightsee before you have to head back for your long return trip. I've heard LOADS of people say, "If I'd realized the whole day was going to be spent riding around, I never would've done it -- especially at that price!" Really, 75% of your excursion will be spent on the road (or crossing the spit of water that divides Cozumel from the ruins). How many times do you think your kids will say, "Are we there yet?"

As I said, we have one day at sea. I am pretty anxious about this as I do have the kids, one who is too young for the kids clubs onboard. What is there to do on the ship with the kids? Mind you, the youngest isn't allowed in the pools.
Though I think RC ships are best for older kids, yours will find plenty to do. Does Enchantment have a splash area for your littlest one? Every night you'll get a newsletter telling you what programs the kids' club'll offer the next day; a couple times during the week they'll even take the kids to dinner. They'll enjoy ping-pong, basketball, and mini-golf. Your older child might not make it all the way to the top of the rock climbing wall, but he would probably enjoy giving it a try. Yes, there's a screening room, which shows the type of movies that're in the "new releases" at Blockbuster. They show about five movies per day, and few people use that room, so you wouldn't need to feel that you'd need to keep the kids perfectly quiet and well-behaved. The first show of the evening tends to be kid-appropriate (later-night comedians, etc. are a little rougher), but I don't know that kids as young as yours would enjoy them -- would they enjoy watching singing, dancing, comedians?

If you're nervous about not having enough to do, bring along a chapter book to begin together. My kids -- even at age 2 -- would sit for long time spans listening to a good book. A small DVD player for your room could be a good choice too.

RC has special "family times" for various parts of the ship, which are ideal for families with young children. For example, for an hour they'll reserve the disco just for families -- no adults, well, except for parents. Another day, they'll set aside time in the skate rink just for families, and so forth.

I'd suggest that you plan to do beach days at every port so the whole family can swim. These also tend to be inexpensive port stops.

We have 2 adjoining inside staterooms. OMG they are TINY. I didn't think much of it when we booked, as that is what we had on our disney cruise, but RC staterooms are a fraction of the size of disney's! Are we going to feel like sardines? How in the world are they going to fit a crib into one of those rooms?
I've sailed both Disney and RC -- admittedly, never in an inside room -- and the rooms are similar. I hated the horrible split bathrooms on Disney; neither bathroom was large enough -- they could've used that space for one decent-sized bathroom! Keep in mind, too, that you haven't paid for that RC room nearly what you'd pay on a Disney ship!

If I were you, I'd compare the cost of what you have to one balcony room. I've ALWAYS sailed with four in a room (and my girls are teens now), and we've not had a problem with it. A balcony room just "feels" like more space. This would give you the balcony for some private time during naps /evenings when the kids are already asleep.

Mrs. Pete makes a lot of good points, but some things she mentions are not available on Enchantment. The dining room is 2 levels, Enchantment doesn't have a Promenade or an ice skating rink and I don't know if they show movies outside the cabins. I think there is a baby splash zone.

The balcony cabins are a really good size and 1 balcony is probably less than one inside. The biggest problem - you lose a bathroom. But I know there is a refrigerator in the balcony cabins to stash your colas. :D

Thank you for the replies. Let me clarify, I am sorry if some of you think I'd rather do anything but this trip. I am just a researcher/planner by nature and I am getting FRUSTRATED as I am not able to find out info and such from the RC website.

While its true, this is not my dream trip, hey, its a business trip for hubby so we got a great deal and most of its a tax write off, so why not?

OK, I am a little excited now that I am getting some really good answers! Movies would be great, live shows great! Both have been to live shows and enjoy them. Movies would be good and I have no problem leaving mid-movie if they act up. I didn't even know there was a movie theater!! The rock-climbing wall is a great idea, my oldest loves rock climbing walls.

I am not really worried about evening times. My kids are content to hang out with mom on an outside decks for drinks (for me) and special desserts (for them!). I think reading time would be a great idea outside on a deck (is there ample seating room outside on one or more of the decks just to sit at a table and enjoy the air?). Evenings are wind down time for us. I could really care less about partying or gambling. I can go out and party at home knowing I have a trusted babysitter at home and if I wanted to gamble I'd go to Vegas! I really won't miss either of those things.

I can not for the life of me find out if there is a baby splash zone on the Enchantment. Anyone know for sure?

I will definitely consider what is said regarding excursions. Both of my kids are excellent travelers and have no problems with hours spend on buses/cars/etc. I know my 6 year old would really love to snorkel, but with the 2 year old it isnt really practical. Maybe I'll see what I can do. I don't know if any of the snorkeling is appropriate for her. She is comfortable in ocean waters up to about 30ft deep.

I don't know if it is even fesible (sp??) to get a new room at this point. I am kind of hesitant to get a balcony room with the kids though. Especially the 6 year old. She is not afraid of ANYTHING. One bathroom though is plenty for us.

Does anyone know if there are any sorts of wildlife viewing excursions at either port? We arent really interested in swimming with dolphins, seeing manatees or swimming with stingrays. Been there done that many times. We are more interested in seeing unique indiginous (sp??) animals in their natural environment.

I hope you can stop worrying so much about dining. You can always go to the buffet in the Windjammer or get room service (no charge except after 1AM, but tipping is expected). You should try the main dining room. The experience should not be that different from Disney. They will likely seat you either a a table of your own or with another family. If you are unhappy with a particular table, you can ask for a change.

When RCCL started charging for room service during the night (1 - 5 am), they said that they would have one location on the ship open at all times.

Although the ruins are an interesting excursion, it is a long trip. Can your kids handle that. I agree that a tour in Belize is a good idea; I heard that the zoo is really nice. (We snorkled when we were there.)

Look forward to a good time. Lots of luck.

Alan

Thank you all for the advise on dining, I feel so much better now! I am not set on a nice supper in the dining room. Buffets, burgers/fries, whatever works for me with the kids. As I said, my kids are generally well behaved when going out to eat, I just don't want to ruin someone's dinner who is possibly there on their honeymoon. I mean, sometimes kids will be kids.

I am still trying to research options for ports. As I mentioned, we are sort of an adventurous group. I really have no interest in visiting a Diamonds Int'l, Margaritaville, Senor Frogs, or any of the other usual tourist trappings. When visiting somewhere, I enjoy seeing its real side. Even if its not so pretty.

Has anyone used the libraries on RC? We all love books. Is it like a real library? Can you check out books to take back to your room? Do they have a wide variety? Do they have kids books?

I am still trying to research options for ports. As I mentioned, we are sort of an adventurous group. I really have no interest in visiting a Diamonds Int'l, Margaritaville, Senor Frogs, or any of the other usual tourist trappings. When visiting somewhere, I enjoy seeing its real side. Even if its not so pretty.

Has anyone used the libraries on RC? We all love books. Is it like a real library? Can you check out books to take back to your room? Do they have a wide variety? Do they have kids books?

There are a number of quiet places on board for you and the kids to relax and get away from other passengers. The library is one of them. Not a huge selection - but it is open to check out books.

If you visit the Cozumel and Belize ports of call boards you will find some good suggestions for non-ship sponsored tours.

The balconies are a nice extra space we really enjoyed. The bottom is glass with closely spaced rails above to a height of about 4 ft. The doors to the deck slide and are pretty heavy.

Do you know which dining option you selected? As we mentioned before - Family Time is during early seating and they will speed up the process for the 6 year old. I don't think they will take the 2 y/o though. My Time Dining is great for familes with smaller children = you set your own pace.

Well, i looked into exchanging rooms. Not a good idea. Currently we have two adjoining interior staterooms (we can't just exchange 1 room, because then hubby and I would have to sleep in separate rooms, with the adjoining rooms, we can just leave the door open between the rooms). So we thought we could exchange our 2 small rooms for 1 large room. The biggest room they have available is a large balcony room. But it is only 40 square feet larger than just one of our interior staterooms. It is about 20-30 square feet smaller than our last stateroom and while that worked fine with just one child I can't imagine it with 2. Not to mention it'd cost alot more money. So I think we'll stick with what we have.

Movies would be great, live shows great! Both have been to live shows and enjoy them. Movies would be good and I have no problem leaving mid-movie if they act up. I didn't even know there was a movie theater!! The rock-climbing wall is a great idea, my oldest loves rock climbing walls.

I don't know if it is even fesible (sp??) to get a new room at this point. I am kind of hesitant to get a balcony room with the kids though. Especially the 6 year old. She is not afraid of ANYTHING. One bathroom though is plenty for us.

Does anyone know if there are any sorts of wildlife viewing excursions at either port? We arent really interested in swimming with dolphins, seeing manatees or swimming with stingrays. Been there done that many times. We are more interested in seeing unique indiginous (sp??) animals in their natural environment.

The door to the balcony can be locked and it is very difficult if not impossible for a six year old to unlock and open it, so you may be worrying unnecessarily but again you know your child best.:)

While you seem to have problems maneuvering through the RCI website, you should be able to call up your reservation online and check out the excursions available on your cruise. In addition the ports of call boards on Cruise Critic can offer you the type of excursion information you are looking for including names of independent tour operators who may be able to meet your requirements. Check them out. :) You should also double check to see if your current rooms are 'adjoining' or 'connecting'. There is a significant difference and if you want to leave doors open between the two rooms you need a 'connecting' room since it has an interior door that you can leave open. The doors of adjoining rooms open to the hallway.

I just did a pretend booking on Disney - OMG! The prices are unreal - no wonder they include so much. I think I prefer to pay $6 a day for a drink card than $2000 for a 4 night cruise.

The balcony cabins are more expensive, but you would be paying for 2 full fare and 2 3/4 passengers in the cabin. Not 4 full fares you are paying now for the 2 insides.

Well, you don't sound terribly "adventurous " to me,, I mean, come on,, RVers,, (millions of them )Rv all over the world with families of 3, 4, 5, and more ,living , cooking, and sleeping in areas less then 1/2 the size of one inside cabin.. too funny.

Relax,, you did not pay to stay at a 5 star resort,, but , you will have fun, the sleeping arrangments ( hey TWO cabins,, thats great, lucky you) will not be bad,, ( try getting 4 of you in a hotel room in Paris,, then you will truly know what small is,, ) .. and the eating thing you have already figured out.

As for cruising with a 2 yr old,, I have done this. It is not the same as cruising with an older child( who can go to kids clubs etc) ,, but how I look at it is ,, hey, no cooking or cleaning for the week,, thats fun!

I can not for the life of me find out if there is a baby splash zone on the Enchantment. Anyone know for sure?

I have never been on the ship. However, if you go to RCCL website at the top left is "Plan a Cruise". From the drop down box pick "Ships". Look for Enchantment in the Vision class. There will be a button for virtual tours and one for deck plans. Pick the deck plans and scroll through all of them. It will give you an idea of the layout and what is available.

Now to your question, on the deck plans, at the pool level (deck 9) shows "Kids Splashpool". You will also see on deck 10 where the trampoline is along with Adventure Ocean which is described as "A spacious playroom offers toys, books and games for little sailors" and at the aft is the rock climbing wall.

I also noted on the deck plans that on deck 8 forward there is a "Family Interior Stateroom". That probably can't be booked on line but you could call and ask what the price is or if you used a travel agent call them. It is 260 square feet opposed to the interior 160 and you would all be together in one room. It may even be a little cheaperthan two interiors. Never know till you ask.

Also on RCCL website look at the top for the "All about cruising" drop down. Then click on family cruising. There is an entry about Royal Babies Royal Tots that says "Royal Babies & Royal Tots

Join your 6- to 36-month-old in the fun of Royal Babies and Royal Tots, interactive playgroup sessions developed by early childhood experts at Fisher-Price®. Each 45-minute session* offers age-appropriate activities that expose children to new experiences while seamlessly combining playtime with learning time. On our newest ships, Oasis and Allure of the Seas, we offer a full-staffed Nursery, with childcare drop-off options day and night. *A parent or caregiver MUST accompany children during all playgroup sessions". You can click on the underlined portion for more info. It also has info further down for the Adventure Ocean program.

Further down you will also find info on Family My Time Dining and the babysitting service.

Archived