Swimming with the Dolphins

Kalena

Don't know of too many people that have done both so it's going to be tough to find informed opinions that can compare and contrast the two. I haven't heard many comments about Sea Life Park's dolphin experience either good or bad (I think Suebee either did it or knew somebody who did it). I've heard fairly good things about Dolphin Quest overall - both at the Waikoloa location as well as the Kahala location.

Sorry, I know it's not as good as an opinion from someone who's actually done it but I figured some opinion was better than none.

Spleen

Take a look at www.dolphinexcursions.com What an absolutleuy incredible experience. DW and I went on this excusion pre-cruise (the early AM tour), and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

No, you don't get to touch them, only view their beauty in the wild. Nothing like a morning that you get to jump in the middle of a pod of 100 dolphins to start the day!

We did DolphinQuest at the Waikoloa. It was fabulous. I am always concerned about animal programs and the effects on the animals. In this case, the facility is an enormous mad-made lagoon with constant replenishment from the ocean. It is not a concrete block; it is literally a lagoon, an environment, with sand bottom, plants, fish, etc. The dolphin's caretakers/trainers/companions take excellent care of them. They (the humans) are absolutely fanatical about the treatment of the dolphins in their care. The purpose of the program is partly to educate us about dolphins, their needs, and their care.

There are different programs for age groups, etc. There is an introductory part where the trainers talk to you about the dolphins and give you information on how to interact with them (and how NOT to interact). Then you break into small (about 4 person) groups and start in the shallow section. You are required to wear a life vest. No exceptions. Each group is introduced to a dolphin for play time, petting, pictures, etc. Then the strong swimmers' groups (that's how they create the groups) go into the deeper water (it's fairly deep, not like a pool or tank, much deeper than that) with snorkels. You have more play time and watch the dolphin underwater. You also learn basic commands and use them with the dolphin. Then you play some more.

You do not "ride" the dolphin or have him (or her) tow you along by holding onto a fin. The trainers explain in detail why this is not good for the dolphins. Like I said, they are fanatical about the treatment of the dolphins. You do walk along next to the dolphin in the shallower water while stroking his back and side. Oh, and you do get a kiss or two. (If you are really lucky, as I was, a dolphin may take a shine to you and give you the ultimate complement of a slap on the, um, backside.) Dolphins love to have their tummys' tickled (not their "private" parts of course) and are just so happy around humans. They are very healthy and playful.

I loved it and would do it again in a second. I was really lucky because usually you have to book well in advance. We just walked in and I got the last spot. Of course, this was only 3 months after 9/11, so that probably explains it. It is not cheap, but I think it's worth every penny. The money goes toward dolphin education programs and to maintain the facilities and animals.

The kids programs have a session afterward for more education and projects related to dolphins.

They have a website that talks about the various facilities and programs.

beachchick

I just spoke with the people at Waikoloa Village (Dolphin Quest). They stated that it is a 45 min. ride to the site from the cruise ports (we are sailing Celebrity if that matters). Is it best to take a taxi or is there another option? I am thinking that we would just pay for the kids to do the 1 and 1/2 hour Dolphin Discovery. I assume that the parents can just hang out and watch? The "family and friends" encounter is $740.00 for just 30 minutes...so we are trying to make it a bit more economical by just including the children if possible.

45 minutes sounds about right to get from Kona up to Waikoloa. You may want to consider renting a car - a 45 minute taxi ride will be quite expensive (and you'll have to pay going and coming back). Waikoloa is relatively easy to find with you traveling essentially one road up north to Waikoloa and driving back south to the airport. :)

Spleen

sailing stephanie: My pleasure. I think you will really enjoy it.

I would say it's best to rent a car. It is not that expensive and gives you more flexibility. The resort grounds are very nice.

Yes, there are places to sit and watch. There is also an outdoor bar/cafe close by. You might want to get to the resort early (or stay after) to just wander and to watch the dolphins play. They really seem to enjoy showing off for us humans.

I don't know about the family/friends program. Ours was the adult dolphin adventure (I think). It was 1 hour with a 15 or 20 minute introductory (out of the water) portion. If the entire family session is in the water with the dolphins...well, it was a most amazing experience. In fact, it's difficult to put into words how it felt. You might call and ask for details about the family program. Is there more than one group? How many of the dolphin ohana (family) are involved? Is it primarily in the water? Do you get to go into the deeper water with snorkels? Etc. No doubt it is very expensive, but it might be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for your family. It's a tough call.

In any case, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

beachchick

Kalena I have been to SLP often, I just havent done their dolphin program. I DO know that the SLP was JUST sold to a foreign company that intends to expand the park and it's programs. Let me see if I can find the article.....

Yes, Here it is:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jan/07/bz/bz03p.html

We intend to do the program eventually but my kids are too small yet so we have to wait a couple of years.

Thanks for posting that article. I just talked to someone else about Sea Life park Dolphin program. The only complant was they werent in the water very long for how much money it was. But they still say it is worth it. And it sounds pretty much the same expericence as the other place except she said at SLP they did have you hold on to the Dolphins and they swam with you.

I had made reservations for Sea Life Park (since that was where the cruise line was going) but after reading this thread I have changed my reservations to Dolphin Quest. I didn't know there was one in Hawaii until I read this, so thank you! I believe it will be a much nicer experience. Plus it's closed to the pier that Sea Life Park.

Beachchick...I was told that the Dolphin family and friends encounter only included 30 minutes in the water. According to my info, the Adult Encounter also only includes 30 min. in the water (although you indicated that you were in the water much longer).

Hi sailing stephanie. I did the longer adult program (1 hour), but DH looked at the site recently and noted that this program is now called the Dolphin Adventure Encounter (rather than the Dolphin Encounter), which is still 1 hour, but with a different intro period and a bit less time in the water (we had at least 40 minutes rather than 30). There have been some changes to the various program offerings. It sounds like the whole 30 minute program is in the water, but I'm not sure. I know that the programs are expensive (prices have gone up some since we were there).

It's a tough call to decide if 30 minutes in the water is worth it for you. For me, I'd skip something else and use the money to do the dolphin program. But we've been to Hawaii several times (back again this June with our DD meeting us there--yeah) and have had a chance to do various things over the years. Obviously, no one can do it all in one trip. The question is how important you feel it is to do it as a whole family. If you have the kids do the kid's program, they will love it and you will still be able to enjoy watching them. Plus you can all watch the dolphins at play when they are not doing the programs. If you do the family encounter, it will be far more expensive. I think the prices are about on par with most other similar activities.

Do you go into the deep water with snorkels in the family program? That was one of the highlights for me. We also got to learn commands and practice them with our dolphin. It was quite fun. The shallow water part was good too. We each had individual time with our dolphin (and of course kisses for pictures, etc.). I even got to give him a "raspberry" on his tummy because I was the one who guessed that he loved it. (One of the women in our group said "ick," but I thought it was great--our dolphin started laughing and then a few minutes later gave me a swat on the backside while playing next to me.)

Wish I could be more help here. I can only relate my personal feelings, which are pretty apparent.

beachchick

BankofDad,

Thanks for the reminder that you did Dolphins Excursions with the wild dolphins. I was looking at this one with Wild Side Specialty Tours:

http://www.sailhawaii.com/itinerary.html

It's on a catamaran and takes only 16 passengers and you're out for four hours for $95, which I think is the same price for 2.5 hours with Dolphins Excursions. They both look great. How did you choose Dolphins Excursions? Mahalo!

Hi Beachgal,

I just happened to see some photos that someone had posted for this excursion on a completely unrelated thread on the Hawaii board. I tried to find the thread, but can't seam to locate it now.

For anyone interested, here's what I posted about it from my trip review:

On Sunday 10/17, we took the suggestion of another CC member and drove up to Waianae on the west shore to participate in the Dolphin Express excursion. The drive was slightly less than an hour from our hotel, and the excursion turned out to be one of our favorites of our trip. The craft is a rigid-hull inflatable, very modern, with stainless steel passenger railings around the outside, making it very comfortable to ride in. The tour heads up the remote west coast to bay areas known to be the daytime playground for pods of Hawaiian spinner dolphins. We took the “early-bird” tour, because the success rate in locating large pads is over 90%, which is much greater than the late morning tour’s success rate. On our trip, a pod of over 100 dolphins was located. Not only did I get spectacular footage of swimming, jumping, playing dolphins, but also I got a chance to go into the water and snorkel with them. This was an experience I’ll never forget! After dolphin swimming, we also snorkeled at a location that was home to a number of large green sea turtles. I can’t wait to get my photos back!

While I did get great video, I discovered after the trip that something broke internally in my underwater camera during my excursion with North Shore Shark Adventures (shark Cage), so none of my pictures turned out:( . But, we are planning a two-week land trip in 2006 to Hawaii (Oahu and either the Big Island or Maui with our kids) so I definitely plan to use this operator again.:D

At the time we took this tour, local publications were rating it as the "second best thing to do in Hawaii" just behind the shark cage.

On a side note, even though we drove up to the departure point for the excursion, they do have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off in Waikiki. The cost is included in the tour price. We simply opted to drive ourselves because we needed to rush back to our hotel to clean up, as we were taking a shuttle to our ship that day for embarkation.

Hope this helps!

On Sunday 10/17, we took the suggestion of another CC member and drove up to Waianae on the west shore to participate in the Dolphin Express excursion.

Do you have a website link or contact info for this tour?

Archived