Scuba in Ocho Rios

Milly1966

Does anyone know why Carnival does not offer any scuba shore excursions in Ocho Rios? Or does anyone know of a dive shop there I can contact to make arrangements?

I'm not aware of any cruise line that offers a dive there, nor if you search will you find a dedicated dive resort there. Tell you anything?

I've been there many times - it was on my 'work route' and while killing R&R time I've dove Ocho many times. Had I not been there on company time and simply been looking for something to do I'd not have done a second dive.....ended up doing many. I got wet and the water was warm. An u/w hobby photog' I can't show you a single picture from an Ocho dive that says "come here" ...

a) no marine life to speak of .... the area was fished to death years ago and has not recovered as of my last visit

b) do not even THINK about renting equipment beyond tanks (and those can be questionable) and weights

I'll be back in the spring and will take the family to DRF .... won't even think of a dive or snorkel trip. IMHO this is one of the reasons DRF is SO popular ... the beaches for the most part are so-so and the diving type sports less so. Get out of the Ocho area and there are probably good dive sites, but close to Ocho? IME I ain't seen 'em and I have 20 or so dives there....in the immediate Ocho area.

If you must .... when you walk down the beach you'll find beach shack dive shops willing to take you out ...

{I arranged mine through my ship's agent . . . }

• 3 weeks later...

I learned my diving at the Ocho Rios Grande Sandals (was Beaches) resort before. The scuba diving was included so I took advantage of it. There wasn't a lot to see, but it was warm water, and neat to go out with scuba gears.

After that I've dove in many other places. We're going back to Ocho Rios as a port stop next Mar. We'll be taking our kids to the Dunns River falls, then go buy some Blue Mountain coffee. Wouldn't bother to find diving or snorkeling in Ocho Rios.

I learned my diving at the Ocho Rios Grande Sandals (was Beaches) resort before. The scuba diving was included so I took advantage of it. There wasn't a lot to see, but it was warm water, and neat to go out with scuba gears.

After that I've dove in many other places. We're going back to Ocho Rios as a port stop next Mar. We'll be taking our kids to the Dunns River falls, then go buy some Blue Mountain coffee. Wouldn't bother to find diving or snorkeling in Ocho Rios.

I'd take it one step further. I won't go on a cruise that stops in Jamaica. There are too many other islands with good diving to visit before I'd waste my time going to Jamaica on a cruise.

I'd take it one step further. I won't go on a cruise that stops in Jamaica. There are too many other islands with good diving to visit before I'd waste my time going to Jamaica on a cruise.

I agree. I have been to Jamaica twice and that was 2 times too many for me. Never again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say the opposite, new to diving, but I'm sure conditions vary for everyone. We arranged to dive with Couples Ocho Rios a couple of years back and had some great diving. Lots of wildlife, did a wreck dive and a cavern like reef with lots of swim throughs. The Staff was friendly and boat was wonderful, fresh fruit and all. Not sure if you could arrange directly with them or not.

I have to say the opposite, new to diving, but I'm sure conditions vary for everyone. We arranged to dive with Couples Ocho Rios a couple of years back and had some great diving. Lots of wildlife, did a wreck dive and a cavern like reef with lots of swim throughs. The Staff was friendly and boat was wonderful, fresh fruit and all. Not sure if you could arrange directly with them or not.

I used to think that way when I first learned to dive at Ocho Rios. That is, until I dove in many other places. EVERY other place was better, much better than at Ocho Rios.

Ocho Rios is still good as it is warm water diving, and relatively calm water with decent visibility. If that's all that would satisfy you for diving, then that's good. But if you've seen other places for the marin life, reef, visibility, etc., then you'd agree EVERY where else is better, way better.

I used to think that way when I first learned to dive at Ocho Rios. That is, until I dove in many other places. EVERY other place was better, much better than at Ocho Rios.

Ocho Rios is still good as it is warm water diving, and relatively calm water with decent visibility. If that's all that would satisfy you for diving, then that's good. But if you've seen other places for the marin life, reef, visibility, etc., then you'd agree EVERY where else is better, way better.

And I used to feel that way about the Caribbean in general, until I went to Fiji.

Jamaica < Cozumel < Fiji

Archived