odd question regarding tattoo's...

chopped

long story short I own a tattoo parlor in states and I have been offered a week to two week guest spot at a local parlor in the Caymans. How many of your cruisers would entertain the idea of getting some ink while on your vacation?

I know its a touchy subject, lets keep all the talk about how bad it is for a tattoo to see the sun, risk of infection and everything else because lets face it tattoo collectors will be able to see beyond that (we're a different breed) I really just need to convince myself that closing down my business for 2 weeks would be worthwhile financially :D

For what it's worth I have been to the Cayman's and LOVE the island!

I guess it would depend on how long I were in port, how much you would charge vs. my local tattoo parlor, and as the pp stated, the quality of your work.

Time in port would be the biggest deciding factor, though. If we are there only a few hours, then I would skip the tat. If we are there well into the evening, then I would be more likely to stop, but then you have to consider if I'm the type of person that always dines in the MDR and wants to be back on board in time for dinner.

I'm not sure I'm much help on this, but I would say to consider the worst case scenario (little to no business for 2 weeks), and if you can live with that, then go for it.

I have gotten a tattoo when I was on vacation. But we were in the Keys for a land vacation and I saved it for the last day when I knew I would not be in the sun or swimming anymore. Don't know how many cruisers would be able to get one on just a day visit, especially if they have other ports to visit where they could be snorkeling or other water sports.

I have also had to have a tattoo touched up, so I would have to be awful sure that I would not have any problems with it after that initial visit - although it would be an excuse to go back. :p

But like the other poster said, if you can afford the two weeks off, then I would go for it. What an opportunity. :)

• 2 weeks later...

if it were in Coz, after way too many drinks, i may consider it.

here's how i look at it...if i were you...

one, consider how long you would be working each day. could you "vacation" some while you were there? if so, consider it a vacation and enjoy.

second, can your business handle you not being there? are there other people that can run it, or is it okay to close it for 2 weeks?

third, how practical is it getting a tattoo on a cruise? i don't see it being very practical....especially if one can't do the sun and water thing afterwards. GC seems to be the shortest in port times, and you have to spend more time to tender in as well.

fourth, are you getting paid based on how many tatts you do, or just a straight amount? because i would not think you would have that much traffic from cruisers, and i would think the locals would want to know you have been in business a while.

jmo. whatever you decide i'm sure is the right decision.

i would not get a tattoo while on a cruise. i might want to, but then common sense would say no because of the restrictions.

Sorry, I would not get a tat while on a vacation unless I was specifically traveling for the purpose of getting a tat from a certain artist. I have 50 other weeks of the year that I can get one while at home. I wouldn't want it to take time away from my hard earned vacation.:)

However..."GC Ink" does sound very appealing.;)

I have a lot of ink and the answer is no way would I get one in a foriegn country.

I don't know the laws to sanitation, or more importantly, if and when the laws are enforced...

US dollar is only worth $.80 vs GC dollar...

I wouldn't get a tattoo and go to the pool or hot tub...

If there was ever a problem, or a "fix" was needed for whatever reason, I'd be SOL... :cool:

So I've decide to go for it :D

I should be in the Caymans at the end of Feb. The deciding factor was that i already have a solid week booked. The locals took up all my time in the shop so i won't need to rely on foot traffic. So it's a solid week of tattooing then it's a week in the sun.

thanks for the replies- CC is the best!! I always get good, honest answers!

Seth

Archived