Suggestions on shore excursions

T&E's Mom

We are going on the Princess "Emerald" in Nov. to St. Maarten's, St. Thomas and Grand Turks. We've only taken 1 other cruise before, anyway any suggestions on shore excursions for these ports. Also, which port is the best for different activities, ie. snorkeling, shopping, etc..

thanks

I haven't been to St Maarten, so can't comment on that.

I absolutely love Papa Bear of Air Force 1 Tours in St Thomas. We've toured with him the past 2 times we've been there. Tell him I sent you! The first time, we did the tour that had shopping, island tour, then beach (we went to Sapphire). Last time, we were the only 2 from the Carnival ship, so we just joined with another group to do just the island tour and beach (went to Coki that time). Papa Bear will take care of you! You can snorkel from the beach at either Sapphire or Coki.

Grand Turk used to be just a diving destination, so that would be the place to do your diving or snorkeling. We did a combo stingray/snorkel tour there once. I've also done the Horseback Ride & Swim there all three times I've visited. It's at the north end of the island, so you get sort of a island tour just on the ride up there.

You should find a separate Port of Call board for each port under the POC section. I recommend you do some reading there to get an idea of what is available. I now only do ship tours if they are the only option (like the horseback riding on Grand Turk - only way to do it was through Carnival).

Don't be afraid to book independent tours. Just do your homework.

It depends on what activities you like. the ports of call board is a good research tool as is CC's sister site www.tripsadvisor.com You can also google the department of tourism for each island.

In my house we call St. Thomas St Jewelry & that's all I ever want to do there. DH bought my e-ring there so it's fun to go back to that store.

St. Thos: nothing but wall to wall jewelry stores in town. When I go back, it's to the beaches.

St. Maarten: Went to Orient Bay. Great beach, clothing optional but tastefully done. Next door to a nude resort. Lots of fun, cheap beer and worth seeing (the beach anyway).

All I can help.

Just back from St. Thomas and St. Maarten last week. In St. thomas we did shopping, sightseeing/ beach tour with Godfrey. In St. Marrtens we took same type of tour with Bernard. Both were a lot of fun. All the sodas, bottled water and homemade rum punch we wanted. Learned so much.... for example, learned people in St Maartens don't start paying property tax until their home is finished being built. Many people hurry and finish the downstairs and drag out the rest of the job. Our guide said some still haven't finished the rest of the house 10 years later. LOL! Magens bay was a disappointment. Wish we'd gone to Coki beach instead.

We stayed on St Thomas for a week. It was fun watching the ships come and go.

Magen's Bay is for swimming. No snorkeling as it has just beautiful sand but there are rocks to the right that have some interesting things in/on/around them. Decent food shack. Coki is more of a snorkeling beach, especially if you swim towards Coral World. Just watch out for locals spearfishing their dinner.:eek:

Cuzzin's is a restuarant we enjoyed in the downtown area. If 'Old Wife' fish is available it is very good. Just ask them to take the head off, though.

The port in Grand Turk was built by Carnival. They have a big beach, strangly shaped pool with a swim up bar and Margaritaville. They also now have a flowrider. There are no venders only very nice shops. You just walk off the pier and everything is right there. We've been there 3 times and next time will take the bus into the nearest town.

In St. Maartin we have fun taking the local buses which are just big vans. Its $1.25 where ever you want to go but they do not go to Orient Beach. You can go to the French capitol, Marginot (sp) or different beaches. There are no bus stops, you just flag them down when you see them. Most are white and have where they are headed on a sign on their dashboard.

In St. Thomas I don't think Princess ties up in Havensight, they tie up at the original port on the other side of town so you have a LONG walk to get anywhere or take an open air cab into town then maybe Havensight. We are not shopers so we go to beaches.

There should be an information both when you get off in St. Thomas and St. Maartin where you can get maps and have questions answered. There will also be natives who will offer different tours. They are good and just make sure you plan to get back on the ship an hour before you must!

Archived