56 mph winds

LindaKE

According to Accweather, one of our port days (Sydnedy, NS next Tuesday) the forcast is for winds 56 mph. That is tropical storm force winds. Will excursions still go on or will the wind be too strong? It is a dock port. I know things change when forcasting a week out. This is just what they are saying now.

I have no doubt some excursions WILL be canceled. I would venture to say some wouldn't? Assuming there are guided tours and such.

If it's blowing that hard, I think some cruiselines won't dock. Don't know that first hand, but have heard it from other cruisers. That would be a let down, unless they find a fun alternative port.

Linda, I'm a little worried too but weather.com doesn't have the prediction quite so bad so I am thinking positive. There does seem to be an Arctic front coming in so I am considering splurging on that 2nd suitcase since I may need more winter clothes. I am also stocking up on Dramamine. :rolleyes:

It is eastern Canada in October not a tropical paradise. I've looked at the weather and although it looks shocking to someone who doesn't know that area, it is not far from typical.

If you think you will need warmer clothes, take them! Shopping in Canada or on your ship is costly.

According to Accweather, one of our port days (Sydnedy, NS next Tuesday) the forcast is for winds 56 mph. That is tropical storm force winds. Will excursions still go on or will the wind be too strong? It is a dock port. I know things change when forcasting a week out. This is just what they are saying now.

We had 50 knot winds on our Med Cruise at Mykonos. The ship was tilted so hard that 1/3 of the water was running out of the pools. Let just say we skipped that port.

If you aren't docked I think you'll like skip the port, unless that is your last port.

There are a lot of ships that do Canada throughout October for the fall foliage.

The Nova Scotia ports are often canceled in high winds. There's no safe way to get the ships into ports as high winds can push the ship into the dock, causing great damage. Don't be surprised if the port is canceled.

After I thought about it, that's what I concluded. At first I was just thinking of traveling in a high profile bus to the excursion point. When we have high wind here, that is always what TV warns about. After Carnival collided with the RCCL ship, it makes since that it wouldn't be any safer to try to dock in similar conditions.

We had Sydney cancelled in Sept 2001 due to high winds. They were higher than 56, but I don't know what the threshold is for them to cancel the port. We sailed into the harbour, turned around and left, and an RCI ship followed us.

Here is a video of an MSC ship last winter in Spain breaking free of it's moorings in approx. 65-70mph winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4M0Z_nbVk

Archived