Spa treatment for 10 year old?

My 10 year old daughter has had a massage before, with parental supervision (I was present in the room during the treatment). She loved it and wants to have a massage on our cruise in a few weeks. I see that spa treatments can be given to 13-17 year olds on the RCCL cruises, but I was wondering, does anyone know if they will give one to a 10 year old if I am present?

Why not a pedicure,, all girls, young and old like having their toenails done! I have to say it does sound a bit much to be getting massages for such a young child,, but if you have the money I guess ..... er,, you could send me some extra!! :)

Why not a pedicure,, all girls, young and old like having their toenails done! I have to say it does sound a bit much to be getting massages for such a young child,, but if you have the money I guess ..... er,, you could send me some extra!! :)

I was playing with my Barbie dolls when I was 10 - a far healthier pastime and far more suitable to the childs age than pedicures and massages. IMHO.

On the Freedom over New Years they offered a mother/daughter spa with the choice of three different experiences I believe. I do not know if a massage is included because of legal reasons.My wife and daughter had a great time together having partaken.(manicure etc.)So long as an adult is present. Go to the spa and the specials are posted there. Wishing you and yours a wonderful cruise.:D

Leaving the question of whether I feel a massage is appropriate for a 10-year-old, I do want to point out that when I have had a massage onboard a cruise ship, the treatment rooms have been extremely small, and a third person in the room probably would've gotten in the massage therapist's way. There was enough room for the therapist to move around the table, but not much more.

Well, I have frequently said that people should keep their opinions to themself and offer only answers to the posted question or move on.

OK, time to break stride.

To the OP: Mom, a ten year old is a little kid. While your intentions are good and there seems little wrong in this massage, consider what will be sufficient in the years to come to make your little one feel grownup. What will the special treat be at age 12, age 16, 18, 21?

I don't know if RCCL would accomodate your request for massage for your ten year old, I'd say just ask. The worst they can do is tell you no. Also. unlike others I don't think there is anything wrong with a ten year old getting a massage. If it feels good to an adult, I'm a betting it will feel good to a ten year old.

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't see the point.

Have to agree with the poster wondering what the child would require as she ages. This could get expensive.

I feel that pampering is for adults, children are already pampered, being that they are children.

But, your money. If this is how you want to spend it, call up and ask. Definitely make sure you can be in the room because that could be the deal-breaker, space-wise.

How do these poeple expect their children to grow up to be law abiding citizens if they make it clear to the child that they should ask for and expect an exception to every policy, guideline and rule out there. Come on Mom, grow a spine - or are you afraid she won't love you anymore if you say "no"?

Wow! Do a lot of posters here get erotic massages or something?:eek: I feel like a lot of people are equating a massage with sex or something which I find strange. That being said, I don't think a 10 year old needs a massage or that with their small, developing muscles it feels particularly as good as it would for an adult. I think she likes it probably becuause it seems grown up. :)

It actually reminds me of the mindset of a girl that was at a Bar Mitzvah at the place I work at. She was probably only 13 and was in 4 inch heels and a tiny dress and dug around in her Coach bag looking for her L'ancome moisturizer to give to her friend...:rolleyes: A little too much, just in my opinion...

I don't understand people's opposition to someone treating their daughter to a massage on a vacation. It is not that unusual for people to have massages at a young age. The OP might not be able to on the cruise because of Royal's age limit, but there is a good thing that she is looking into doing something special for her daughter that her daughter enjoys.

I called RCI to ask, and no, it is not allowed for a 10 yr old to have a spa massage even with the parent there. However, they did mention that your 10 yr old could go into the salon with you and partake in a salon treatment for the scalp/hair with a light massage on her scalp. It is lavender oil and other oils. I had this treatment on the Carnival Miracle for $29 and it was a perfect 20-30 min session in the salon chair. You could have a nice time together with this one. They also have hand massages in the salon also. I think these 2 might be a great alternative to your original plans, since you won't be able to get the massage for her.

A mom and daughter spa day doesn't sound too extreme. Sounds like the OP wants her daughter to have a nice experience.

I don't understand people's opposition to someone treating their daughter to a massage on a vacation. It is not that unusual for people to have massages at a young age. The OP might not be able to on the cruise because of Royal's age limit, but there is a good thing that she is looking into doing something special for her daughter that her daughter enjoys.

People should open their minds and through traveling more they will appreciate other cultures and beliefs. Europe has little problems with underage alchohol consumption and have less problems with drunk driving etc. It is amazing how a massage by a educated and trained massuse can be spun into a sexual endeavor. I would like to look at the good in people rather than the belief in an evil underpinning in every action taken. If the OP wants to share a LEGAL event with her daughter then like Gonzo70 I believe it is a good thing.

It's been 6 years since I had a baby, but even when my 18-year-old was a baby, massage was encouraged, particularly after bath time for infants (except preemies, they can't handle the stimulation).

That being said, I would never get a massage for my 10-year-old, unless they needed it for therapeutic reasons (my kids dance, so I have seen injured kids that do need it). I would, if I had the extra money, take her for a manicure and/or pedicure.

I do believe (the drummer for my husbands band is going to college for this very thing, so I am not just pulling this out of my a$$) that even trained masseuses (non-medical) are trained for adults, not children. By 13, most kids have (nowadays) have hit puberty and their bodies are maturing at that point. That may be the difference in the age that Royal Caribbeans consider (don't know, just speculating).

To the OP, ADOPT ME! :D

I don't know RCI's policy, but I would be interested in seeing it in writing. My 15 y/o is an athlete and played elite soccer for many years. I purchased her a massage last year when she turned 15 after she'd played all weekend in a soccer tournament (5 games, 70 minutes each in a 3 day period). I had to be present during the massage even at that age and had to sign a liability waiver. I told her no more as that was really boring. I couldn't read because the room was too dark, so I just sat there counting the minutes...she felt better, however.:)

DIRECTLY FROM RCI FAQ:

Spa Services

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page

s.gif

Q: What are the age restrictions for Spa Services?s.gifA: You must be 18 years of age to book a spa treatment. For those guests between the ages of 13 - 17, we have a special YSPA menu for teens, or you may ask the Spa Manager about other treatment options for younger guests.

The options for younger guests are held in the salon, not the spa.

I tend to go with the old person's crabby attitude that too many folks want to be their child's best friend. :cool:

Let them be kids - do a nails thing (which I don't whole heartedly approve of either) and call it a day.

It's been 6 years since I had a baby, but even when my 18-year-old was a baby, massage was encouraged, particularly after bath time for infants (except preemies, they can't handle the stimulation).

That being said, I would never get a massage for my 10-year-old, unless they needed it for therapeutic reasons (my kids dance, so I have seen injured kids that do need it). I would, if I had the extra money, take her for a manicure and/or pedicure.

I do believe (the drummer for my husbands band is going to college for this very thing, so I am not just pulling this out of my a$$) that even trained masseuses (non-medical) are trained for adults, not children. By 13, most kids have (nowadays) have hit puberty and their bodies are maturing at that point. That may be the difference in the age that Royal Caribbeans consider (don't know, just speculating).

To the OP, ADOPT ME! :D

Therapeutic massage is very different from spa massage. I also believe that spa massage practitioners do not have to be licensed like therapeutic ones do. There may also be issues with developing bodies and muscles that do not make spa massage a good idea. Not to say folks don't do it. (kinda like why kids shouldn't be in hot tubs but parents still let kids do it). I would also be leary of doing a massage with a child on a cruise ship-again not knowing about the training, licensing, experience etc.

Children are not little adults in the eyes of health. Don't believe me just ask people who are specialized in the health (mental and physical) of kids. A ten year old will not get a "professional massage" because massage therapist are not trained on children. My bet is that RCCL offers spa treatments to teenagers because there are so many parents that want to be best friends with there kids instead of being parents.

I wouldn't want my ten year old getting used to having a stranger touching them, even with a parent present. I wonder what Dr. Phil would think (haha...j/k).

The OP may have wanted to know who to ask about the massage, but IMHO she got some good advise from other parents to rethink her decision. Sometimes opinions may be unsolicited, but still appropriate.

CC

add my name to the "I think this is bizarre" list.

I don't know RCI's policy, but I would be interested in seeing it in writing. My 15 y/o is an athlete and played elite soccer for many years. I purchased her a massage last year when she turned 15 after she'd played all weekend in a soccer tournament (5 games, 70 minutes each in a 3 day period). I had to be present during the massage even at that age and had to sign a liability waiver. I told her no more as that was really boring. I couldn't read because the room was too dark, so I just sat there counting the minutes...she felt better, however.:)

So, how many minutes were there?

So, how many minutes were there?

I paid for 50 but it seemed like 150.:(

I guess it would have been considered a therapeutic massage since she was so sore and exhausted by the soccer tournament. She'll have to wait until she's 18 for the next one.

Just reacting to the European argument here--isn't the spa still owned and run by Steiners (sp) out of London? I have been getting massages since about 1988. I have never seen a child or even a teenager waiting as a client. I do get therapeutic massage--each state has different licensing requirements.

I don't particularly like the idea of having a young child receive a massage treatment from a spa. Undressed in a darkened room with a stranger. It may be enjoyable--but what if your child is looking to repeat this experience-on his/her own?

Archived