Even or Odd?

teacher2cruiser

if you would be more specific about which ship, someone that's been on it may be able to help you. it's hard to say starboard or port side because sometimes the ship pulls in at the pier and sometimes they back in. i hope someone will be able to help you.:)

It depends on the ports.. in Cozumel, it was port side (even)... Grand Cayman was a tender so either side, Roatan was port side and Belize was a tender. For E. Caribbean, San Juan was more starboard.. although it pulled straight in... St. Maarten was port and St Thomas was starboard... at least on the cruises I took these were the sides... some of my cruises were Royal Caribbean so it could be different than Carnival

I've had a portside cabin (even) for every cruise but 1 - just worked out that way somehow. In embarkation ports, it's usually the same side that faces shore - In Galveston, starboard is the boarding side - but in port, especially in places that handle a lot of ships like Cozumel, it depends on where you dock that determines which side faces shore. And there's no way to know that beforehand. You can find out the pier, but you could still be on either side, back in, not back in, etc.

We have generally been pretty lucky with portside, though. More times than not we've faced port. Still, I have starboard side booked in December and April just to change it up a bit.

Keep in mind that even on the same itinerary the ship could dock on different sides of a pier on any given week so there's really no guarantee which side of the ship will face the port in places like Cozumel. Another one that comes to mind is Nassau where there are several piers and the ships may pull in forward or backwards - you really don't know.

Is it even or odd numbered cabins that usually face the ports? I was told it was one of them, but I have forgotten which is which. I know somebody here can help me!

Thanks

OK, follow me if you can. Nautically speaking, the left side of the ship when you are facing forward is always the port side and the cabin numbers are even(port, left, even; all have four letters. Easy to remember that way). The right side of the ship is always the starboard side. If the ship pulls into port forward facing, the port side will face the port. If the ship turns around, like they sometimes do in Miami and other ports and faces out to sea, or if it backs into the port, then the starboard side will be facing the ports. The Port and Starboard sides of the ship never change on any ship on any cruise line or on any other ship or boat for that matter. Generally speaking, if you get a balcony or ocean view stateroom on the port side of the ship, most of the time you will be facing the port, but not always.:) I hope this helps you understand the ship and to answer your question, even numbered cabins usually face the port.:D

Triumph is the ship I'm interested in, and it will be new to New Orleans for departures.

For New Orleans, when you board the ship, the odd numbered cabins are on the starboard side and will face the port as it comes up the Mississippi. Upon leaving, the ship makes a 180 degree turn (which is just so cool to see) in the river and as you are heading down the river to the gulf, the even numbered cabins (port side) are facing New Orleans.

The side of the ship that's facing the port (that is, the side that's tied up to the pier) does not necessarily have the best view. As one poster pointed out, you could have another ship moored on the other side of the pier, which means you see nothing but the other ship. Or, you could have a not-so-lovely view of cargo containers in an industrial terminal like in Mazatlan.

In Mazatlan, IMHO, the best view is the side AWAY from the pier.

My wife and I have always had cabins on the port side or even cabin numbers. Some port we have faced the shore and on others open sea. It really doesn't matter which side you are on. It seems like you just take the chance and find out when you are on the ship. I would say we have been more facing land than sea on the port side.

OK, follow me if you can. Nautically speaking, the left side of the ship when you are facing forward is always the port side and the cabin numbers are even(port, left, even; all have four letters. Easy to remember that way). The right side of the ship is always the starboard side. If the ship pulls into port forward facing, the port side will face the port. If the ship turns around, like they sometimes do in Miami and other ports and faces out to sea, or if it backs into the port, then the starboard side will be facing the ports. The Port and Starboard sides of the ship never change on any ship on any cruise line or on any other ship or boat for that matter. Generally speaking, if you get a balcony or ocean view stateroom on the port side of the ship, most of the time you will be facing the port, but not always.:) I hope this helps you understand the ship and to answer your question, even numbered cabins usually face the port.:D

OK Mikey...Please hand me a bottle of "PORT" so I can sit here for a while to contemplate this post......:p

Not always.

Mere...You are correct. Although on Carnival all ships have their even numbers on the port side other lines do not.....

Just for fun the first lines deck plans I looked at was Celebrity...Guess what, even numbers are on the starboard side while odd numbers are on the port side.....;);)

So the port-left-even is shall we say...incorrect......:D

OK...I was a little bored....

If you go to the RCI deck plans "all" outside cabins are even numbers so I guess that means there ships have two port sides...LOL

All inside cabins are odd numbers so I guess the interior of the ship is starboard......

I am getting very confoosalled....:confused::o:confused:

OK...I was a little bored....

If you go to the RCI deck plans "all" outside cabins are even numbers so I guess that means there ships have two port sides...LOL

All inside cabins are odd numbers so I guess the interior of the ship is starboard......

I am getting very confoosalled....:confused::o:confused:

And NCL does the same thing for most of its cabins.

Dave

• 1 month later...

If you wind up port facing, is it noisy? On the 1 cruise we were on, we were always sea facing. But, on our cruise in August we'll be even #, port side of ship and midship also. I hope we won't be woken at 6am by workers making a ton of noise. We'll be on the Fascination.

Is it even or odd numbered cabins that usually face the ports? I was told it was one of them, but I have forgotten which is which. I know somebody here can help me!

Thanks

What you were told was wrong! No one side faces the port. Many factors are involved in how the ship docks. The Port Authority for one. Other ships in port for another. Needed maintenance on the ship for another. Also, MARKETING is involved! If one side ALWAYS faced the port, it would effect sales of cabins. Some ports, the side facing the port is the exact wrong side to be on. So enjoy your cruise and forget about which way the Captain parks the ship.

The right side of the ship, looking forward is referred to as the STARBOARD SIDE. And the left side as the PORT SIDE. Those terms come from ancient sailing times and have no meaning in modern times other than left and right.

Just for confusion's sake, the side of the ship tied to the dock is referred to as "portside to" meaning only that one side is against the pier. Half the time the ship is tied up with the Starboard side, "portside to!"

Archived