Tux Question

holstang

Hi Ladies!

So I received a call from Carnival Weddings, and they informed me that if my FI wants to give his tux to a non-sailing family member, then he has to change out of his tux 20 minutes before the reception ends. Does this make sense to you?

Past brides- I need advice- should I just rent a tux through the cruise line? I've been looking at old threads, but I haven't really found the answer to my question.

Help!

TIA!

Hi Ladies!

So I received a call from Carnival Weddings, and they informed me that if my FI wants to give his tux to a non-sailing family member, then he has to change out of his tux 20 minutes before the reception ends. Does this make sense to you?

Past brides- I need advice- should I just rent a tux through the cruise line? I've been looking at old threads, but I haven't really found the answer to my question.

Help!

TIA!

They can't force hubby into the cabin (or local bathroom, which would prob. be closer) 20mins prior to the end of the reception...esp when it prob only takes him 2 mins to get it off and 1 min to redress. He can wait right up until the end if he wants. However it will annoy the WC if he chooses to blow them off. It does take the non-sailing guest alil while to get off the ship, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait. A few of my guest ended up on the ship another 15-20 mins because they didn't follow directions well and got lost. Having him to change 20mins prior to the end assures the WC's that all guest will be off the ship in a timely matter, which is always their goal.

One question though if you plan to do this...

What will the hubby be taking pictures in if he gives the tux up? The bulk of your pictures are taken after the reception, such as backdrop photos & deck photos.

My hubby, bro in law, father, and father in law all got tuxes but my FIL didn't sail so he had to rip off his tux really quick at the end and give it to us. The problem with the nonsailing guests leaving the ship late is that mine weren't able to get a taxi b/c all of them left, luckily there was 1 guy left so he made a few trips.

You don't want to give the tux up though. You will be doing pictures after your non-sailing guests have gotten off the boat. I had a friend buy his tux and I think he maybe spent 200 on it and it was Calvin Klein. Really nice! That might be another option.

My fiance is renting his tux through Carnival. That way he does no have to rush to take off the tux and give it to a non-sailing guest during the reception before the guests have to leave the ship. Plus, he'll be able to keep the tux for the duration of the cruise and wear it for formal night if he chooses.

Thanks ladies for all of your options. I think we've got it figured out.

He's going to change out of his tux at the last possible minute, and then change into a tux we're going to rent through the ship. Why he's changing, and not just going to wear the Carnival rented tux is beyond me, but hey, whatever.

I pitched a fit, because I knew we would be needing it to take pictures after the reception.

Thanks ladies for all your help! It's much appreciated!

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread! Aside from the groom's tux, has anyone else rented the groomsmen tuxes through Carnival also?

If yes, were the groomsmen tuxes just in the bride and groom's room on embarkation, like the groom's tux? So that the groomsmen would have time to change before the ceremony?

Thanks!

not that this answers your question... but I thought I would put this out there for other couples too.

When we looked at the cost to rent a tux (we had an 8 day cruise so we would go over the week mark and have to pay a 10 day rate) vs. the cost to buy a tux. It made more sense for us to buy the tux.

There are a ton of websites that sell brand name tux's at discounted prices. If he goes with a black tux there are many other times he can wear the tux. You might pay a little bit more but the bright side is, now he has no excuse not to take you some place nice hehehe

I agree with this! We're going to buy the groom's tux. Just inquiring about groomsmen... Carnival says that the tuxes will be waiting in the bride and groom's room when we get on board, but was just hoping for confirmation from someone who did this too!

I asked the same question about renting from Carnival a while ago, but everybody was saying they either bought or did extended rentals from a tux shop. I hope someone is able to answer your question!

We have some bigger groomsmen, so I was worried about renting from Carnival and not fitting properly. We decided to rent from a local tux shop, and the cost of renting for one day (for our 2 non-sailing groomsmen) is $115, and the extended rental for my fiance and 2 sailing groomsmen is $166. My father got his tux free because we had 5 rentals, so he only had to pay $86 for the extension & shoe rental.

Im doing the exact same thing. Renting for the week & using for formal night. ;)

We are too....much to my baby (well...he's 19 now but I'm 29) brother's dismay. He put his size 13 foot down and said he will go to one formal night for me but not the other...it's bad enough I'm making him wear a tux twice in one week lol.

I am also trying to decide which way to go. I like the idea of my guys being measured and fitted for a rental locally because at least we know what it would look like and that it fits well. When renting from the ship, unless you go with the classic white shirt with black tie, how do you know if the other colors (vest and straight tie) match the shade you choose for your bridesmaids?

I have found some great prices to buy tuxes on Ebay as low as $89 for a complete tux. However, buying online your also taking a chance that it doesn't fit like it should. And again the color issue. I have ruled out renting from the ship and have found a local vendor for the same price who will allow us to keep them for the week. So now I am looking for a local vendor who will come in cheaper than $110. :)

I asked the same question about renting from Carnival a while ago, but everybody was saying they either bought or did extended rentals from a tux shop. I hope someone is able to answer your question!

We have some bigger groomsmen, so I was worried about renting from Carnival and not fitting properly. We decided to rent from a local tux shop, and the cost of renting for one day (for our 2 non-sailing groomsmen) is $115, and the extended rental for my fiance and 2 sailing groomsmen is $166. My father got his tux free because we had 5 rentals, so he only had to pay $86 for the extension & shoe rental.

I had the same concern so I checked with Carnival. I was told they had sizes up to size 60.

I am also trying to decide which way to go. I like the idea of my guys being measured and fitted for a rental locally because at least we know what it would look like and that it fits well. When renting from the ship, unless you go with the classic white shirt with black tie, how do you know if the other colors (vest and straight tie) match the shade you choose for your bridesmaids?

I have found some great prices to buy tuxes on Ebay as low as $89 for a complete tux. However, buying online your also taking a chance that it doesn't fit like it should. And again the color issue. I have ruled out renting from the ship and have found a local vendor for the same price who will allow us to keep them for the week. So now I am looking for a local vendor who will come in cheaper than $110. :)

To solve the color problem- we ordered a swatch of the bridesmaid dress color. When it gets here we're going to take it to the mall and find long ties that match the color. Then we'll buy the ties (for groomsmen) and rent tuxes with black or white vests (depending on the tie) from Carnival. That way the ties will match the bridesmaids and I won't have to worry about Carnival's "pink" shade being wrong!

We'll probably do something similar with the tux we're buying for the groom- either get him the matching tie too, or maybe try to match the vest instead, etc.

I had the same concern so I checked with Carnival. I was told they had sizes up to size 60.

I know they had their sizes, and even read a few comments of larger guys renting from Carnival and having no problems with the fit....but I didn't want to take the chance. My brother is "big and tall" and I wanted the tux to fit him perfectly. The last thing I wanted is for him to feel embarrassed & not want to be in the pictures.

Archived