Question about taxis/large groups

Sandyshore

I don't mean I'm traveling with a large group. Before my last cruise I did my research here to know what a cab should cost to get to Secret Harbor. But when we got off the ship at Havensight, we were practically herded into one of the open-air taxis with pax from different ships, all heading to different beaches. Didn't know until it was too late that we'd be making multiple stops. Our time in St. Thomas wasn't very long either, so I was unhappy to spend so much of it in a cab. Plus, when we were dropped at Secret Harbor, the driver of course wanted to pick us up for the return trip, and it looked so deserted around there that we were worried about getting back to the ship in time, so we agreed, and that involved multiple pickups going back to the dock, as far away as Sapphire Beach. How can I avoid this next time? Is there such a thing as a private cab instead of the large vans that hold 12 people?

Many of the taxi drivers that cater to the cruise ship docks drive larger vehicles like safaris (some can hold 18-20 people) and vans (usually 9-12 people). A few have cars and SUVS. To make the trip more worthwhole drivers tend to gather people going in the same direction together. You can request a private taxi, the prices will be more than going in a shared taxi. Also you could prearrange the transportation before going requesting a private taxi so you know the price and have it set up before hand.

--Islander

Many of the taxi drivers that cater to the cruise ship docks drive larger vehicles like safaris (some can hold 18-20 people) and vans (usually 9-12 people). A few have cars and SUVS. To make the trip more worthwhole drivers tend to gather people going in the same direction together. You can request a private taxi, the prices will be more than going in a shared taxi. Also you could prearrange the transportation before going requesting a private taxi so you know the price and have it set up before hand.

--Islander

Thanks Islander. Of course I understand it makes sense for the drivers to want to take larger groups in the same general direction. I had been avoiding Sapphire Beach as our destination because I'd read the ride there was so long, and we ended up driving there anyway to pick up pax on the way from Secret Harbor back to the dock. Joke was on me I guess. :) In the end, I really liked the glimpse of Sapphire we got from the taxi (even more than Secret Harbor) so next time I think we'll try it.

... How can I avoid this next time? Is there such a thing as a private cab instead of the large vans that hold 12 people?

If you walk through Havensight (toward the Paradise Point tram), there's a taxi stand. We took a van because there were 8 of us, but I think there were cars, too.

If you walk through Havensight (toward the Paradise Point tram), there's a taxi stand. We took a van because there were 8 of us, but I think there were cars, too.

Thanks for the tip. Next time I'll take the time to look around and not be herded so easily :rolleyes:

I see you're leaving on your cruise in just a few more days. Have a great time!

Archived