Has anyone taken a train to port locale?

boxerdoglady

I was looking into taking AmTrak to NOLA. We would leave on Sat arrive Sun and have time to check out the city, then board on Monday. We can get a sleeper cabin w/ meals included for the same price as flying.

I've always wanted to take a train somewhere.

We took the train last year from Birmingham to New Orleans. We really enjoyed it. There are plug ins at each seat to plug in your computer or dvd players. We didn't know that then but we won't forget it for next time.

We took the train to DC and then on over to New York City a couple of years ago, and it was wonderful. It was about a 22 hour trip and then from NYC to Tampa about 24 hours. We also had a sleeper car and the food they serve is really good. It's really a very nice dining experience. We hope to go again in a couple of years. I will say that the only way I will go by train is to have the private car. The trip between DC & NYC was only a couple of hours so there were no sleepers. The two hours we spent in coach was probably two of the worst hours of my life!:D We really did enjoy our train trip. The scenery, and just the relaxtion.

We have traveled Amtrak from Los Angeles to New York and back. We also did Vancouver to Los Angeles post cruise.

Plan for delays. Our cross country trip was 2 days late and the Vancouver-LA was only a few hours late.

If we could get a sleeper for the price of airfare we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Meals in the dining car are open seating. Depending on how many people are there you probably will have to share a table with another couple.

Decent food. Comfy beds. After sleeping on a train you will never complain about high seas again. It can be bumpy.

My dh and I are taking Amtrak from Tampa to Fort lauderdale for our November cruise. We just wanted to try something different. We've taken the bus but it was 84.00 for us this time, and Southwest flight. The Amtrak was only 68.00 roundtrip including taxes and we are allowed up to 3 bags each. We will travel the day before. The only drawback is our hotel does not pickup at the station, just at the airport. I think the train would be more popular if hotels would make it more convenient.

My dh and I are taking Amtrak from Tampa to Fort lauderdale for our November cruise. We just wanted to try something different. We've taken the bus but it was 84.00 for us this time, and Southwest flight. The Amtrak was only 68.00 roundtrip including taxes and we are allowed up to 3 bags each. We will travel the day before. The only drawback is our hotel does not pickup at the station, just at the airport. I think the train would be more popular if hotels would make it more convenient.

I have wanted to go on a cruise our of Ft Lauderdale, but Drew really didn't want to drive there. I told him about your plans and he wanted to know if you knew how far the train station is from the pier. Would you just take a taxi over there. I'm thinking this might be the way to go. Save on all the gas and the port parking fees.

Hi All,

We just flew to Seattle last month and took the train from Seattle to Vancouver to board the ship for a Hawaiian cruise. Although it was only a 4 hour trip, we are already doing it again with friends, just for the train experience. The trip is beautiful, mostly by the ocean, the seats more roomy and comfortable than airplanes and the cost half as much as we would have paid for the bus.

I heard around 25.00 to the port. When I called our hotel, Ramada Inn cruiseport, she said you can catch some bus to the port, but didn't want to mess with all our bags. I was looking at mapquest and it looks like the station is about the same distance to the port as the airport, if not closer. We took the cruise connection bus last time and that was very convenient too. The only thing, I thought we could move around on the train. Are you in Florida?

I heard around 25.00 to the port. When I called our hotel, Ramada Inn cruiseport, she said you can catch some bus to the port, but didn't want to mess with all our bags. I was looking at mapquest and it looks like the station is about the same distance to the port as the airport, if not closer. We took the cruise connection bus last time and that was very convenient too. The only thing, I thought we could move around on the train. Are you in Florida?

We're about an hour South of Tampa..Bradenton... We really enjoyed the train, and you can get up and go to the dining car to eat. I guess it would be a coach ride over to Ft. Lauderdale. Do you know how long the train ride is from Tampa over there? No way I could ever do a bus thing. Drew and I both are to antsy for that!:D

Just allow yourself plenty of extra time. Amtrak isn't really known for their prompt schedules. My only experience with them wasn't very good. Old, run down train cars, no dining other than a snack car with prepackaged microwave stuff, no one at all to help with your bags and no checked bag service at all.

From what I understand, this stuff varies widely by route and that some routes are very nice trains with dining but others tend to use the old run down trains. I also found the Amtrak staff onboard some of the surliest I ever encountered. What was supposed to be a 2 hour train ride was 7 hours late even getting to the station I was at which was an unstaffed one - thankfully I wasn't alone there after dark and had my DH with me to drop me off.

Hi All

We were on the Inspiration out of Tampa 09/21

We took the train from Florence, SC to Tampa. (actually the train leaves you off in Orlando and Amtrak busses you to the Tampa train station) A very pleasant experience clean train lots of room. Only downside is we hat to board a 3:28am. Other than that really enjoyable already booked it for our January Legend cruise.

We were on the Silver Meteor. By the way mentioning you are on Carnival gets you a discount with your booking number. Round trip for us was 89 each Gave them our luggage in Florence got it back in Tampa never hat to touch it in between.

pjnc

I will be taking Amtrak to New Orleans for my cruise on the 26th. I bought a companion voucher off ebay for ten bucks and got the second ticket for free so for two people roundtrip from South Carolina it is $190 fare + $10 coupon. On top of that I can walk to my hotel so I can put wouldbe cab fare towards something fun. Now I just need enough entertainment to fill the 14 hours of train time.

Last year my two kids and I cruised out of NOLA. I didn't want to drive so we did Amtrak. It was great. My kids really enjoyed the trip also. You get to see scenery that can only be seen from the train. We stayed at the Drury Inn which is just a few blocks from the station. The train seats are extra large and quite comfy for sleeping. The food not so great. I wouldn't waste money on the sleeper for such a short trip (11hr). I would pack a nice lunch and just go coach. The seats recline and even have leg rest. I had no problem sleeping. I would definitely do it again. Happy Sailing:D

If you had to get off the train and take the bus to Tampa, you were on the wrong train. The Silver Star goes direct to Tampa! No bus.

The station in Fort Lauderdale is about 15 minutes from the pier.

Fortunately, the trains are beginning to operate on a more timely basis due to better timekeeping by the host freight railroads, and finally, both trains to Florida have sleeper cars. Well worth the $ in my opinion. Enjoy your cruises!!

Mark

Last year my two kids and I cruised out of NOLA. I didn't want to drive so we did Amtrak. It was great. My kids really enjoyed the trip also. You get to see scenery that can only be seen from the train. We stayed at the Drury Inn which is just a few blocks from the station. The train seats are extra large and quite comfy for sleeping. The food not so great. I wouldn't waste money on the sleeper for such a short trip (11hr). I would pack a nice lunch and just go coach. The seats recline and even have leg rest. I had no problem sleeping. I would definitely do it again. Happy Sailing:D

Actually going from Atlanta to New Orleans is a good deal getting a sleeper. If you book somewhat early you can usually get a roomette for $47 since it is a daytime trip. This also includes breakfast, lunch and dinner for two in the diner so just for the food it is worth it at that price.

Last month DH and I took the train from Memphis to NOLA and back for our cruise. It was great. If you are coming from the Chicago area, it would be best to get a sleeper since its an overnighter. The train arrived on time into Memphis and we arrived on time into New Orleans.

Food was great and not too pricey. Some of its cook right there on the train, some of its microwaved... either way, its wasn't bad.

I took the train from Portland Oregon to Los Angeles and then was to catch the bus (Amtrak Bus) out to the Queen Mary, but since we got in an hour late the bus had already left. I was thinking to myself, how am I going to get from the LA train depot out to the Queen Mary at 11:00 at night. Well, since the train was late, Amtrak paid for a private cab to take me to my motel room in Long Beach, the cost was $124.74, but the funny part was my round trip ticket to Los Angeles was only $147.80.

This is a piece of advice for anyone going to sail out of Los Angeles, pay the extra $5.00 for the ticket to Long Beach, because if you get into LA late and the bus has already left, by buying that ticket they have guaranteed you that they will get you to Long Beach at their cost. So when you buy your train tickets to Los Angeles, look for the Long Beach Queen Mary stop.

To fly to LA would cost me a good $600 to $800 RT, to drive would cost probably about $300 - $400 including stopping half way for a motel room. so by going by train is the cheapest for me, I just can't beat the price.

Upstate Italian. Out of curiosity what hotel are you staying at that you intend to walk to from the train station with all your luggage? :confused:

Astor on Canal, but we may pick up the St Charles line on Carondelet if it comes by. Its only a mile on flat paved terrain, not that far in my book. I have done a couple of 400+ mile backpacking trips so a stroll through New Orleans is no big deal.

Archived