Diving in GC

crookedhalo

The Cayman Islands are widely considered to be world class diving. Waters are warm and clear year round.

The Cayman Islands are best known for wall diving. The islands are just the tips of very steep mountains which barely break the surface of the sea. Much of the diving is along the side of this mountain. The diver has the sensation of flying along the side of the mountain with no bottom beneath for many hundreds of feet.

How's the skiing in Aspen?

Can you find any decent food in New York City?

Is there anything to do with children in Orlando?

For years about the only people who thought of Cayman as a destination WERE the divers .... ;)

If he really is a big diving fan, he will already know that GCM has great diving.

Check out the Scuba/Snorkeling section -----> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Thank you for the sarcasm - it was so good:rolleyes: DH has only been diving for the last two years, so sorry, he doesn't know it all, but enjoys diving whenever possible.

The Cayman Islands are widely considered to be world class diving. Waters are warm and clear year round.

The Cayman Islands are best known for wall diving. The islands are just the tips of very steep mountains which barely break the surface of the sea. Much of the diving is along the side of this mountain. The diver has the sensation of flying along the side of the mountain with no bottom beneath for many hundreds of feet.

Thank you so much for the information - THIS is exactly what I was looking for. DH did a wall dive in Bermuda and really enjoyed it, so I'm sure he'll be happy to hear this.:D

Thank you for the sarcasm - it was so good:rolleyes: DH has only been diving for the last two years, so sorry, he doesn't know it all, but enjoys diving whenever possible.

No sarcasm intended. If I wanted to be sarcastic, you'd know it.

What kind of diving is DH looking to do there? Shore diving or boat diving? Does he want to dive Stingray City? Do YOU want to go along with him as a snorkeling passenger or are you going to do something else while he's diving. A 2 tank boat trip will probably take the better part of 3 hours.

BTW, did try the search function?

some say the search is busted again ... didn't try ... dunno

repost from a reply I just placed in SCUBA section

"agree - define best

any who read much here know my preference is to shore dive at Sunset - but that is for as many non diving reasons as the wet ones... Navigation is a snap if you are a fairly experienced diver. And it is safe to bounce up and get your bearings if need be .... aka, you can get an area briefing from the dive shop and be OK w/out a guide IF you are comfortable with that.. Ditto at Eden. For the most part once out, swim east to return and you WILL come ashore.

I think that for a Cayman first timer tho, 'the wall' is what defines Cayman diving. There's something about pushing 20 or 30 feet away from the wall at 90 foot down and realizing the bottom is a thousand more away ... if you've never done that b4. For this you'll need to be on a boat trip in 99.5% of the possible options.

"

Archived