Mercury Sunset Veranda Stateroom

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to get the search section working so I thought I would ask my question here instead.

My DH, myself and my two teenaged (19 & 15) are considering a cruise on Mercury in the next few months. Normally we book two inside cabins next to one another which has worked quite nicely for all us, privacy, two showers, and space :) It seems that the Sunset Veranda Staterooms are available. These cabins hold four people and include a balcony. Something I have always wanted LOL The price difference is only $500 higher than two inside cabins. From the Celebrity site, it seems that these rooms are quite spacious.

If you have been in them, how do you think it would work for our family?

It seems that there are two different sized decks. Which decks have the larger balcony?

What balcony do we want? One at the end or one in the middle?

Are there any one of these rooms that are better than others?

I think that covers all my questions right now LOL

Thanks in advance for all your help :)

We had 8259 (the port aft corner cabin) on our Sept. 13 cruise on Mercury. There were only the two of us, my husband and I. We wanted the sunset verandah for the expanded view going through the inside passage, etc. Before this cruise, we had only been in Sky Suites. We found the space in the sunset verandah to be somewhat tight.

First, the bed is bound on three sides so the person on the wall side must climb over the other to get out of the bed. We opted to sleep separately. At the foot of the bed is the panel which separates the bunk/sofa bed from the other bed. There are photos of these cabins somewhere on these boards. Hopefully you can get the search to work.

When the sofa bed is made out, it pretty nearly fills the width of the room. The sofa bed is made by putting cushion sections together. Some people are bothered by the channels between the sections. I slept on the sofa bed and I was able to find a spot where I could be comfortable. I do like a firm bed, though and this bed was firm.

The upper bunk looks to be comfortable and people have said that it is, but we didn't use it. There is a ladder for the upper bunk in the closet.

I think you might have enough storage for your things (depending on how much you take), but our experience was that if one of us was up and moving around, the other wanted to remain seated as there is not a lot of space for moving around. I think the cabin would be too crowded for four persons unless some are small children, but certainly if you are all able to be in cose proximity it would be possible to do.

The verandah was OK. It had a table and two chairs with ottomans. There was not a lot of extra space and the verandah is not covered. We were on an Alaska cruise and it rained quite a bit, which made it difficult to use the verandah. However, there is a covered public area adjacent to the verandah which is not used very much where we were able to enjoy the scenery out of the rain.

Another thing you should be aware of is that the thrusters and rudder are just beneath you and are sometimes very noisy and cause a good deal of vibration. This was not a big thing for me, but DH did not like it.

I don't think we will take one of these cabins again largely because of the bed situation for the two of us.

I hope this helps.

Doris

We had friends that had an end cabin - it's public deck at each end. They didn't like the traffic and lack of privacy. People would poke their heads around to see their balcony.

It was a very large balcony with a full height dinning table. They were on deck 8

Archived