Porter Problems

Years ago, we were flying somewhere. We had just come in from a foreign country, were switching airlines, had a lot of heavy luggage, and were required to transfer the bags ourselves. (SCUBA trip) We used a porter, and I assumed my husband had tipped him, but my husband thought I knew he had no US currency on him. The porter stood there, stared at us, and said something to the effect of: "You can tip or not - it doesn't matter to me - but then where your bags end up won't matter to me either."

You can bet we scrambled to tip him, since the bags could have been directed anywhere, but I have never forgotten his face.

Kathy

Most definitely we were lucky enough to experience this...and it was even our honeymoon. :D (this was port of Miami) I just so happen to have my camera in my hand and I snapped his face right after he made that same stupid crack. I politely said "just remember, I have a lovely photo of your face if it doesn't make it onto the ship" :) (all said with a smile keep in mind) I do not take threats very well and I did NOT tip this guy. I think that is simply pathetic that anyone would say that to a traveler.

I've seen this posted on Cruise Critic previously and now always have a digital pocket camera readily available when checking in our bags for a cruise. I remember the similar situation happening prior to our first RC cruise which was out of NYC. Cars were lined up onto the street in Manhattan so we got out of our cab and walked in and dropped our roller board luggage right at the luggage bin. This longshoreman or porter came running over and said he would responsible for getting our luggage to the ship and stuck his hand. I tipped him and all he did was move our bags a few feet closer to the bin and walked away. I stuck around for awhile and it was another person who actually loaded our bags onto the luggage bins and this guy did this with several other people who were arriving for that cruise while I was watching.

Last weekend when we were debarking in Pt Canaveral, a female stevedore asked if we needed help. I said yes and she got our 2 suitcases from the carousel. We also each had a carry on bag which she added to the other 2.

When walking to the area where the shuttles were located, my husband, who has a bad knee was walking very slowly and an employee from the cruise line came by with a wheel chair and asked him if he would like to ride to the shuttle. I was not aware of this at the time as I was keeping up with the baggage handler.

Somehow, she saw that my husband had gotten money out of his wallet to tip the lady pushing him in the wheelchair. She said to another worker, "Damn, that man is giving the cruise person a lot for just wheeling him a few feet while I am working my ass off for less. " I said are you talking about my husband? She said that man over there.

I told her it was my husband and that if he felt the cruise person deserved x many dollars that was his choice and that I was giving her a tip even though there were signs posted that said tipping wasn't required. She shut up and I was mad at myself for giving her anything, although I did tip less than I usually do.

Someone should send this thread to FLL. We hate to sail from there and avoid if possible. Their airport needs some work also.

And I thought I was the only one that didn't like that airport. you get off of the plane and when you get to where your bags are you feel like you just ran a 10 mile marathon.

Nope. I approach the longshoreman with my suitcase and the money visible with the same hand......I hand it to him and continue on my way to checkin.

My luggage has always arrived intact and in a timely manner.

BTW: They aren't "porters"...they are stevedores or longshoremen who work for the Port Authority.

Exactly and we do the same.

I agree with most everyone here. I think when you start asking for tips, even very nicely, it ruins the whole point of a tip.

We tip to show appreciation and thanks for good service.

Give me my dang tip doesn't exactly fall under ANYTHING that I would appreciate.

I have a deep respect for those who work with large amounts of people day in and day out, but I'll be dam*ed if I'm forced into giving you my hard earned money if I don't feel you deserve it.

I've never had this experience....in over 200 cruises in 30 years.

I always approach the longshoremen at the pier with my ONE small suitcase and a coupla dollars in the same hand......giving both over at the same time, with a "thanks" and walk on.

BTW: They aren't porters....

... I went to give my luggage to a young gal who told me "You know, I am the one who is responsible for making sure your luggage gets on the ship" My daughter and I were shocked but I decided that I had tipped her a reasonable amount (normally would have been more) but I was also upset about her not-so-veiled threat.

Yeah, it happened to us in San Juan, once, Port Everglades twice and Miami. The porters all said the same thing, and they all got tips - yeah, I caved in to their threat.

Maybe the people on this cruise didn't tip the longshoremen: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1082642 :eek:

Aaaaaaand once again, we Americans are programmed to tip anyone and everyone. Threaten me, be obnoxious, walk my bag literally two feet...here ya go, here's a couple of bucks! Next time maybe you'll pull out a knife to go along with your threat about my suitcase not making it onboard. Then you're sure to get $5 instead of $2!

Siiiiigh...

So far in my few cruises I've not encountered such problems. But I would encourage everyone who has to email the PTB at the ports where it has happened about your experiences.

I think a few phone calls and emails to the right people might put an end to the problem for a while.

This is my pet peeve - people will grumble and complain, and now days post on message boards, but do nothing to solve the problem. If you have an issue and you do not try to do something to resolve the issue, even after the fact, then I don't have much respect for your complaint. Don't just sit around griping, do something. It might not benefit you this time, but it could on your next trip or at the least help a fellow cruise critic member.

Archived