Is it worth it?

Hi everybody! I'm wanting some feedback on cruising on RCCL. I have only cruised, Carnival, NCL and Dolphin cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I really want to cruise on one of RCCL's big ships. But is it worth the extra cost? I like the fact that they offer things like rock climbing, ice skating and surfing but I probably wouldn't use them very much. I might try them but my wife wouldn't, so is it worth the extra money?

We love having fun so I really don't know. I'm putting together a family reunion cruise for 9/2011. Based on 2010 prices I can cruise the eastern Caribbean for a lot less on the new Carnival Dream than I can on any Royal Caribbean ship on the same itinerary.

So, I ask, is it worth the extra money? Food, entertainment, cabin services, cabin size, night life and fun? :eek::D

I am generally loyal to Royal, however, if you have had a great time on one brand then probably if there is a big difference in price you might want to stay on the brand you are already enjoying. If you are booking a group make sure you're using a TA to get your best rate and tour conductor credits.

I've sailed on RCL and Carnival. I like them both. We just sailed on the Carnival Glory a few weeks ago. There is just something about the BIG Royal ships! We really like them. We usually get a CAT PR promenade cabin (we've had 5). The ship is the destination! There is nothing like setting outside of the Irish Pub, sipping a cold beer and watching the people walk by...It's just like Hometown USA.

Joe<-----Just countin' down the days! :D

If there will be people in your family (family reunion) cruising that are between the ages of 10 and 40 they would probably prefer all of the extra activities offered on the Freedom class ships. Actually, I am 50 now and I enjoyed the flow rider the time I tried it.

We enjoy both RCI and Carnival but we didn't use all the bells and whistles on the RCI ships. RCI certainly has beautiful ships and even though all were discounted, still higher than what we would have payed on Carnival. Now, in most cases I wouldn't pay a substantial amount (this is subjective) difference. Food, entertainment,etc is to similiar IMO.

I do plan on paying substantially more for a Celebrity cruise but wanted a 7 day to Bermuda and within driving distance. Also interested in trying the brand and comparing their more strict no smoking venues/policy,

If your family hasn't sailed Freedom or Voyager class ships on RCI most likely they wouldn't miss it by being on the Dream, same with the kids. Our teens have loved Carnival, even more than RCI, and probably, other than value, the main reason we cruise with them during all School breaks. They could care less about rock climbing as long as they know they are going to meet many other teens in the C2 club.

Bottom line though is I like to, and plan on, trying them all. That's the only true way to compare as the advice on these boards will of course vary depending on which section you ask.

We haven't sailed Carnival, but have gone back and forth between RCL & Princess and enjoy both. It all depends on the Itnerary & price. RCL has beautiful ships, especially their Radiance Class and for my husband & I overall we prefer RCL. We each have our preferances as to what is important to us, so you'll need to look over what each line is offering you both in itnerary, price etc. I do feel you will enjoy RCL.

I've done two cruises on Carnival, and two on RCI. After the last Carnival cruise I will never cruise with them again.

I sailed with Carnival for my 40th birthday because I saved about $700 over what the same itinerary would have cost with RCI. For that savings I got a water leak in my cabin which soaked my carpet for three days. I got a delayed arrival in Barbados causing my shore excursions to get all messed up, and I got really really really BAD "entertainment" on the ship. The shows were awful.

I can't wait for my upcoming RCI cruise. I have high expectations and I'm sure RCI will meet them. Luckily for me, this year the price was about the same as what I paid with Carnival two years ago. I love sales :)

A water leak can happen on any cruise line... as can delays at ports.

We've never had REALLY bad entertainment on any cruise line.... but I wouldn't NOT sail on a cruise line because of it!

When we were on the Carnival Destiny, the assistant CD was really loud, anooying and rude.... and she seemed to be everywhere!!

But... it didn't spoil my trip.... and I went on Carnival many times after!

Only you can decide how much more you are willing to pay to sail on one ship or line rather than another. If you have never sailed on RCI before, it might be worth a certain amount just to try it and find out whether or not the line is a better fit. However, it is not something that any of us can answer for you. Most of the major lines offer similar cruise experiences, itineraries etc, so the differences, disregarding the bells and whistles that some ships offer, are frequently more subtle (friendliness of the staff, quality of the service, ambience of the ships and their decor, etc.) If the price difference won't break the bank, you might consider it a way of checking out the competition and deciding for yourself which line best fits your style and taste.

Archived