rio to peru blackwatch early roll call

amazonlady

I did the full "Round South America" cruise on the "Black Watch" a few years ago. It was one of the best cruises I have taken. I went on Fred. Olsen excursions to the Iguazu Falls from Montevideo (it is is normally done from Buenos Aires) and Cuzco/Machu Pichu from Lima. If you can arrange either (or both) you will find them memorable. Buenos Aires is a lovely city and is just the place to do your own thing. The Malvinos (Falklands) memorial is similar to the Vietnam one in the USA is quite moving. In the Falklands I did the trip which re-enacted the "Battle of Goose Green". A spin off from this was a chance to meet some islanders and hear thier ideas (not always the same as their "tourist" publicity). Chile is wonderful. Visit as many places as possible in theis diverse country. I could go on but these are a few ideas. You will have a great time on this lovely ship.

thank you. we are organising iguazu from buenos aries independently. did you organise everything i advance or did you do the ships tours, was there taxis in any of the ports to organise your own? i dont like doing too many ship excrusions, dont like being herded onto busses!!:o

I went on Fred. Olsen excursions. They were very well organised. I am sure you will be able to organise trips on your own at less cost. It is probably wise to book in advance. One word of warning, however, should you travel long distances from the ship make sure you get back in good time. I found airline time-keeping less than wonderful. We were some hours late back from Iguazu Falls and the ship had to be delayed. Should you organise your own trip and are delayed the ship will sail without you.

There are taxis in all but the more remote ports of call. In Uruguay, Argentina and Chile it is very similar to visiting Western Europe. If you can speak some Spanish (or Portuguese in Brazil) it is a very big asset.

I hope you have a wonderful trip - I am certain you will.

Archived