Which is better to save Disney Dollars or Gift Card?

mstravel

We have decide to do another disney cruise sometime late 2010 or maybe a few days at the parks and a short cruise. I have just started buying giftcards but was wondering if its better to continue the purchase of Gifts cards or will it be better to do disney dollars? can both be used at the parks or is one easier to use than the other? I just felt that the giftcards would be better than a bunch of disney dollars. Also, can anyone tell me if either of these could be used to pay for princess breakfast or something similar?

TIA

I think both are equal as far as convenience and places you can use them, just watch on gift cards that they dont loose some of the value if not used within a year from purchase.

I dont know if that is still happening with places but a couple years ago there was a big issue on the news with many different gift cards that people waited over a year to use them and lost some of the value.

They were going to try and make that illegal. I dont know what if anything happened with that. So ask when you buy if they will loose any value if not used in less than a year, just to be safe.

I am sure you can use them for any restaurant on property. They work just like cash unless it is stated on the card that its good only for a specific place.

I have read that the Disney store has stopped selling disney dollars - also remember if you lose them they are non-replaceable. If you put your money on gift cards then decide not to go, or don't use the entire balance you can't get your cash back - you need to spend them on Disney.

I would open a separate checking account to save your vacation money and get a debit card to make purchases. I wouldn't give Disney the use of my money while saving for my vacation.

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...
so are you able to apply Disney gift cards to your key to the world account?

Absolutely! And it's not limited to Disney gift cards. On our last cruise, we applied 2 Verizon rebate gift cards as well as a Disney Visa Rewards card to our account. DCL used those credits first, before applying any additional charges to our regular credit card. And if we had not used the full value of the gift cards, any surplus would have been put back onto our Rewards card.

Guest Services on the 3rd deck can take care of these transactions for you.

Archived