sorry posted 2 places-need answer quick

pattyk

From what I have read, most people do not see that well although it seems it is possible from what pkeschauz relates. Some people get goggles with prescription lenses in them. I don't plan to do that much snorkeling to justify that cost, but I am planning on asking my optometrist if I could pick up some disposable contact lenses to use for possibly less money.

I am planning to snorkle at Coco Cay in April. If you are near-sighted, the combination of the water nad the lens in the mask will improve your vision. If you ever swim underwater in a regular pool with your eyes open, you will notice the same effect.

I also vote for asking your optometrist for some sample disposable contact lenses. Either that or go to a local sport goods store and see if they carry any goggles that will accommodate glasses. Usually the googles they give you on excursions are just basic/cheap ones. We bring our own because they are more comfortable/nicer.

What I do is to get goggles from home around $30 and take a pair of old glasses. Unhook the sides (the part that goes over the ears) and fit the lens/center frame into the goggles. This way is I can see fairly well and It cost less then prescription goggles. The secret is to make sure the goggles face mask is about the same or a little bigger then your old glasses. Hope this helps. I would worry more on using the snorkle (with everyone using them) I would rather invest on getting my own $10 and bring them whenever I go.

My daughter is a competitive swimmer with BAD eyes. We ordered prescription goggles, which were not very expensive but maybe masks are a different story. Also, they have goggles in our local sports (mostly catering to swimmers) store that have goggles with various prescription strengths...maybe they would have something for masks, too. I'd check that out at a local sports store if you have a chance. I wear glasses and don't really feel like I'm having a hard time seeing without them while snorkeling.

Archived