Can I cancel & rebook?

Aqua's Mom

:confused::confused:I'm booked on a January cruise through an online TA (although I do talk to a live person). I just saw price on a Princess special running right now for new bookings with another online TA that is substantially cheaper. Is it possible to cancel one booking and rebook as "new" with another agent? Any comments on the ethics as well as the possibililty of doing this? Thanks for all your help - I'm so torn.:confused::confused:

If you haven't made your final payment yet (usually due 75 days before the cruise), you should still be able to cancel. However, your TA might charge a fee for that, so you should just call and check with them first.

Another option is to see if your current TA can match that price. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Just make sure if you do switch that you research the new company to make sure it's reputable. I recommend checking their rating with the Better Business Bureau. They have a great website. Good luck!

I had the same problem. I checked the price of my cruise in Jan and found it for cheaper on the same online site that I booked it with. I called them and they said I would have to cancel and then rebook to get the lower price. The only problem is I had travel insurance with them for the trip so I would also loose that amount and then I would be charged a $35 cancelation fee. Check your TA and see what they might do and if they have a cancelation fee. Depends on the savings. a few bucks or a few hundred...

Who do you have your travel insurance with? Why would it be cancelled? I have had insurance with one travel agent and transferred and nothing happened to my insurance - that is with an insurance agency and as long as it's the same cruise you're talking about....

I would also check before you cancel because if it is new bookings only you don't qualify.

Do your research before you cancel. If the new great price is with Princess (vs a travel agency), and the Princess deal is for "new bookings only", your name will be in the system and you won't qualify as a new booking. The system will see your name as a previous reservation holder.

Check and see if whomever you're booked with will match the new price.

One of the advantages of using a local TA vs an internet site is you can have a conversation with the same person. Plus the internet doesn't save anymore money because the cruise line use level pricing for everyone. As a TA I constantly look at the prices. If final date has not passed, I rebook all my clients at the lower rate. If the rate drops and the fare booked is now the same as a higher category, I ask my clients if they want the lower fare or the upgraded category. A good TA will be more interested in taking care of their clients need than their commission. There should never be a rebooking fee and as far a travel insurance is concerned that should not be a problem either.

A cancel and rebook is classified as a rebook in the cruiselines computers, so you would eventually get "caught"..maybe not at the time of booking, but it has happened before where people have gotten to the pier and have been told the rate did not apply...not kidding..wasn't fun being the agent when people were doing this. They had actually cxld with another TA and rebooked with us (a very large company), they were quite surprised when they got caught! And we were quite surprised also!!!

The insuranceis another problem..the poster that changed TA's probably kept the same booking number, which doesn't constitute a cancel. You would be receiving a new booking number, which effectively cancels your booking. I would check with your insurance company first, before you try.

Archived