Need help regarding portable oxygen concentrator

cal101

We are booked on the Ruby Princess in March 2010 (10 days) and I am trying to do research early in order to determine if we will be able to take the cruise and perhaps even make everyday life a little easier.

My husband has been using an oxygen concentrator and cpap for about 2 years. He has just recently been told by the doctor that he needs to use continuous flow oxygen 24/7. Right now he is using portable tanks to leave the house that only last approx 2 1/2 hrs per tank. I need some help/advise on what type/brand of continuous flow portable concentrator to look for and where to find it. My local oxygen supplier and the doctor have not been very helpful on this subject.

Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have also posted on the Disabled Cruisers board!

Carol

We traveled last Dec on the Ruby Princess with my father and he to uses oxygen. Our oxygen supplier had portable concentrators that we were able to use for the week. We just took it on board with us with our carryon. We made sure we had an extension cord with us and thats all we did. We saw several people out and about on the ship with the same type of portable concentrator. It was small and easy to walk around with.

Hope this helps. We also rented a small type mobility scooter for him to get around the ship and I also believe that they rented portable concentrators as well. They brought it to the ship and picked it up. Nothing required on our part.

My DH is also on continuous oxygen. We have taken his large concentrator and bottles in a backpack, used an Inogene One portable (but it is a pulse rate flow) as his only concentrator, and also had Apria (oxygen company) deliver a large concentrator to the ship. The oxygen company he uses now does not deliver to the ship. There are several companies out there that do deliver all things to the ship, but they are very expensive. You can call Princess and they will give you the telephone numbers for these companies.

Hope this info helps and good luck and great cruising.

We are leaving in under 2 weeks and getting very antsy!

My neighbour is travelling with us over the christmas holidays and requires oxygen 24/7. She arranges with Special Needs at Sea to have the large machine in her cabin when she arrives. She uses a portable concentrator on the aircraft (must be one of the approved models) and carries extra batteries for around the ship and on excursions. All oxygen must be approved by the cruise line and airline if travelling by air.

Archived