JEWEL or GEM? Whats the difference?

bahamaman

Ok, so I am looking ino booking a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean out of NY

on Jan/Feb 2011 and BOTH the Jewel and the Gem have the same itinerary within a day or so of each other. All things being equal, meaning that I would probably stick with the same room category (balcony) and the price is the same, what would be the better choice or what is the difference? Help!

Have you read this review from the Jewel? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1075320

Quite a positive review. That being said, the Gem is the newest (and last) ship of that class on NCL and with each ship they made some small changes, most of them for the better (depending on who you ask).

I think I would go on the Gem (all things being equal), but if the cabin I wanted wasn't available on the Gem but was on the Jewel, I would have no qualms sailing her.

Another difference is the location of the ship's main store - Trade Routes Boutiques on the Gem (Deck 7, near the forward elevators) vs. the Galleria Shops on the Jewel (Deck 7, all the way aft). On the Gem, the Bliss Ultra Lounge Night Club is where the Jewel's Galleria Shops are located. On the Jewel, Fyzz Lounge & Bar (along with the private karaoke rooms) is where the Gem's Trade Routes Boutiques are located.

Archived