car rental in galveston

pearose

Does anyone know of a place or car rental agency in galveston? We live in Dallas, plan to go to Austin to pick up my son the day before. Will drive from Austin to Galveston on the day we depart. I want to rent a car, but don't want to leave it at the cruise parking for 5 days. So far all I have found are rental agencies in Houston. We'd have to drive to Houston to drop the car off and get a cab from there to Galveston. I just can't believe there would be no drop off or pick up point in Galveston for rental cars. Anyone have any info on this?

we flew into hobby...rented a one way and dropped it off in galveston....i booked it online and had a fabulous deal. i'll have to go research to see who we used for i cannot remember....but i do know they exist...or did in 07' when we cruised out of galveston.

i'll get back with ya.

we flew into hobby...rented a one way and dropped it off in galveston....i booked it online and had a fabulous deal. i'll have to go research to see who we used for i cannot remember....but i do know they exist...or did in 07' when we cruised out of galveston.

i'll get back with ya.

That would be great! I'd appreciate it. We aren't scheduled til September 13, 2010, but I'm already trying to organize everything lol. Why wait til the last minute right? It will be a Mon-Saturday 5 day on the Ecstasy, so one being open or not on Sunday won't be an issue.

Thanks again!

I just finished researching different options for car rentals. Yes, Enterprise is the only one in Galveston. So, for our upcoming cruise, I have arranged to rent a car from Houston and to drop it off in Galveston on the next day. The cost for a basic four wheels, no thrills car came out to $66.53. However, they said to add on $100.00 to drop it off in Galveston.

I just finished researching different options for car rentals. Yes, Enterprise is the only one in Galveston. So, for our upcoming cruise, I have arranged to rent a car from Houston and to drop it off in Galveston on the next day. The cost for a basic four wheels, no thrills car came out to $66.53. However, they said to add on $100.00 to drop it off in Galveston.

Wow, I wonder why they charge $100 just to drop it off in Galveston?

Wow, I wonder why they charge $100 just to drop it off in Galveston?
They really make out on fees like these. Theey did the same thing for Alaska. They say they do it becuase they MAY have to pay someone to take the car back to teh original rental place.

Now if this was some off the wall place where people don't have the desire to do a one ways back adn forth then I could understand it - but when you have a many people wanting one way rentals between Houston and Galveston you would think they would cut them a break as there will be people wanting those cars.

They really make out on fees like these. Theey did the same thing for Alaska. They say they do it becuase they MAY have to pay someone to take the car back to teh original rental place.

Now if this was some off the wall place where people don't have the desire to do a one ways back adn forth then I could understand it - but when you have a many people wanting one way rentals between Houston and Galveston you would think they would cut them a break as there will be people wanting those cars.

Or better yet, open on Sundays when the cruise ship comes back to port. There may be a lot of people that would love to rent a car one way back to Houston to catch their flights. And may stop to tour NASA along the way :)

Who are you renting from ? I called enterprise and I have a one-way rental for 11/27/09-11/28/09 dropping off at the galveston location (enterprise) no 100 dollar drop off fee and only 34 bucks to rent it

Type of Car: STANDARD

Examples: PONTIAC G6, FORD FUSION OR SIMILAR

Holds 5 passengers and 4 luggage

• 1 month later...

Ok so Enterprise is the only show in town it appears. I called the Galveston Enterprise and spoke with Dave, he stated yes they accept drop off's for Sunday's (park car in parking lot and a key drop at thier location and they have a sign of a cab company you can call to get a ride to the pier) IF the car is rented from the Hobby Location and there are no fee's associated with a one way rental but the only caveat was that the rental needs to be paid for until Monday morning at 7:30 am, so basically you pay for an extra day...seemed reasonable enough for me.

So called the Enterprise at Hobby, spoke with Tianna, asked her if one way rental with drop off at Galveston office do-able, she stated yes, but there is a one way fee charge of $50. I told her that was not people are posting and not what another employee told me, she put me on hold....came back and confirmed it. But....she made me a "special" deal, she stated that if I were to setup a rental with her today she would cut the fee in half. I got a quote for $92.00 for a full size car (all tax/fee's etc) for 4 days (pickup thurs drop off Sunday billed to Monday). Considering a shuttle is anywhere from $30 - $50 per person and there is 5 of us in my family plus this gives us transportation around the island to sightsee I took it and I had her fax the reservation confirmation to me.

Appears Enterprise is doable for us Sunday Cruisers out of Galveston but Enterprise seems to charge fee's at their own whim.........

YMMV.....Good Luck.

Ok so Enterprise is the only show in town it appears. I called the Galveston Enterprise and spoke with Dave, he stated yes they accept drop off's for Sunday's (park car in parking lot and a key drop at thier location and they have a sign of a cab company you can call to get a ride to the pier) IF the car is rented from the Hobby Location and there are no fee's associated with a one way rental but the only caveat was that the rental needs to be paid for until Monday morning at 7:30 am, so basically you pay for an extra day...seemed reasonable enough for me.

So called the Enterprise at Hobby, spoke with Tianna, asked her if one way rental with drop off at Galveston office do-able, she stated yes, but there is a one way fee charge of $50. I told her that was not people are posting and not what another employee told me, she put me on hold....came back and confirmed it. But....she made me a "special" deal, she stated that if I were to setup a rental with her today she would cut the fee in half. I got a quote for $92.00 for a full size car (all tax/fee's etc) for 4 days (pickup thurs drop off Sunday billed to Monday). Considering a shuttle is anywhere from $30 - $50 per person and there is 5 of us in my family plus this gives us transportation around the island to sightsee I took it and I had her fax the reservation confirmation to me.

Appears Enterprise is doable for us Sunday Cruisers out of Galveston but Enterprise seems to charge fee's at their own whim.........

YMMV.....Good Luck.

Wow! You got a great deal. I called Enterprise at IAH, Houston and was re-quoted the same drop off fee of $100.00 :( They are banking on this one.

Does anyone know of a place or car rental agency in galveston? We live in Dallas, plan to go to Austin to pick up my son the day before. Will drive from Austin to Galveston on the day we depart. I want to rent a car, but don't want to leave it at the cruise parking for 5 days. So far all I have found are rental agencies in Houston. We'd have to drive to Houston to drop the car off and get a cab from there to Galveston. I just can't believe there would be no drop off or pick up point in Galveston for rental cars. Anyone have any info on this?

I looked into this issue for my April 2009 cruise. I found that the closest rental agency was about half way between Houston and Galveston. There are no rental agencies on the island or even reasonably close to the island. I ended up hiring a limo (which is about the same price as a cab from Houston to Galveston, but more comfortable). I took a ship's excursion back to the airport at the end of the cruise.

So, to answer your question, you are correct, there are no drop off or pick up points for a rental car anywhere near Galveston.

Thanks for the info, Just called and got a 6 day rental from 1/31/10 to 2/06/10 for $162.72. Houston(Hobby) Airport to 5919 Broadway, Galveston, Texas (Economy Car)

Thanks

Jimbo:)

I called this number to make our phone reservation..

Enterprise Car Rental Reservations (open 24 hours) 1-800-261-7331

I never mentioned or questioned about a drop off fee.

Recieved a email confirmation with a confirmed reservation....No drop off fees of any kind.

Jimbo:)

• 2 months later...

As posted in this thread, enterprise is the only game in town, they will allow one way rental, but some are charged a drop fee and some are not. Also depends on what airport you fly into. I've quickly learned that Galveston is not the best port for those of us that fly in a day or so early, ESPECIALLY, if you are leaving on a sunday.

True - Enterprise is the only game in town and they close at noon on Saturday in Galveston.

I have a cruise booked for a Saturday departure - flying into Hobby. Pickinng up the car and dropping it off before noon - hoping they transport to the pier. No drop off fee and very reasonable (under $30).

For the return we are coming back on a Thursday - again - hope they pick us up at the pier. Still no drop off fee but the price went up to about $45. Total was under $70 for the round trip and I control my timeframe to an extent.

I called the 800 number to make the reservation.

True - Enterprise is the only game in town and they close at noon on Saturday in Galveston.

I have a cruise booked for a Saturday departure - flying into Hobby. Pickinng up the car and dropping it off before noon - hoping they transport to the pier. No drop off fee and very reasonable (under $30).

For the return we are coming back on a Thursday - again - hope they pick us up at the pier. Still no drop off fee but the price went up to about $45. Total was under $70 for the round trip and I control my timeframe to an extent.

I called the 800 number to make the reservation.

With Enterprise though you get different answers depending on who you talk to with thier "drop fee". See my post back in December, the Galveston office when called direct says no drop fee, call Houston Hobby location, at first they say $50 but then they slashed it in half to $25 and others have reported they had to pay $50 fee for the hobby one way and $100 for the IAH drop fee. One person, JIMBO, called enterprise and got a one way reservation without the drop fee, so I decided to do the same thing and received an email confirmation with no fee, I also didn't mention/question about a "drop fee". I was hoping JIMBO would reply back on this thread to see if he was in fact charged a "drop fee" because when I read my email confirmation from enterprise you will find the following line underneath the total charges listed and listed with the dreaded asterick:

"*If you inquired about coverage's or additional driver fees, the rates are not reflective in your estimated total. These fees will be added to your contract at the time of pick up. Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply."

I bold typed/underlined the important part. That is their catch all so to speak. My plan is to show up with email reservation in hand and play stupid if they want to charge me a fee, then I will rant and rave and see if they still charge me this fee or not hoping they don't point to the additional surcharge line :o. We will see...........

Can anyone answer the question about pick-up / drop-off? I can understand them not taking me to the port - BUT - their commericals and their website states they will pick you up - BUT - when I called the Galveston office they told me I would have to pay a taxi (about $10) to get to the office from the cruise terminal??

I sent an email through the Enterprise FAQ's about pick-up. The reply stated that as long as you are within 10 miles they will pick you up - so I call the local office in Galveston and ask to have it added to my reservation that I need picked up at the cruise terminal to which I'm told they "can't" enter the port facilities.

OK - pick me up at the Starbucks across the street.

Put on hold. Come back - sorry we can't do that - too close.

OK - Where in Galveston can you pick me up?

Well, we can’t because it wouldn't be fair to all the other people getting off the cruise ship.

At that point I hung up.

If people are in need of a pick up and they can't come to the cruise terminal a simple solution is to tell them to go to a location close by.

What they are really saying is they are not going to accommodate the customers that probably make up 95% of their business because it is inconvenient for them.

I emailed back to the corporate office and told them the response I got and that I think they should reduce my rate by the $10 taxi fare it is going to cost me to get to the office. I am awaiting a reply.

I then called the main 1-800 so I could set up my pick up at the “Harbor House” and they told me I have to do that with the local office – day of. This should be interesting.

I sent an email through the Enterprise FAQ's about pick-up. The reply stated that as long as you are within 10 miles they will pick you up - so I call the local office in Galveston and ask to have it added to my reservation that I need picked up at the cruise terminal to which I'm told they "can't" enter the port facilities.

OK - pick me up at the Starbucks across the street.

Put on hold. Come back - sorry we can't do that - too close.

OK - Where in Galveston can you pick me up?

Well, we can’t because it wouldn't be fair to all the other people getting off the cruise ship.

At that point I hung up.

If people are in need of a pick up and they can't come to the cruise terminal a simple solution is to tell them to go to a location close by.

What they are really saying is they are not going to accommodate the customers that probably make up 95% of their business because it is inconvenient for them.

I emailed back to the corporate office and told them the response I got and that I think they should reduce my rate by the $10 taxi fare it is going to cost me to get to the office. I am awaiting a reply.

I then called the main 1-800 so I could set up my pick up at the “Harbor House” and they told me I have to do that with the local office – day of. This should be interesting.

I've been reading your posts and can feel your frustration. We're going on Voyager Sunday, and I gave up on the rental car solution in Galveston long ago. I'm used to Port Canaveral where there are several reasonably priced rental agencies, open on Sunday, provide free transportation to/from the cruise terminal, and charge no drop off fee. In addition, you can get a hotel room for one night on the weekend, even during Spring Break.

Thanks for taking the time to relate your experiences. I'm sure it will help people. Good luck, and I hope it all works out.

Bob

Archived