Cartagena - Plz Help with ideas

rmsanger

We're cruising to Cartagena onboard the Jewel in Dec 09 and still trying to play an itenerary for this port. To be honest all of the other ports have something that seemed to be instantly jump out as interesting to us.

Caymans has Stingray City, Costa Rica has White water rafting/rainforest ziplining, Panama has the locks & Embara indians, and finally Cartagena has a fort and a pushy vendored straw market... (Really that's it???).

To be honest we live in FL and have been to the fort in St. Augustine. I'm sure the Colombian fort is nicer and bigger but yawn I do not want to spend more than 30 min there. Please let us know if you have any interesting alternative experiences...

Based upon the cost estimates posted here from Les Miles it seems like we're looking at about $150 with tip for the two of us to complete a 4-5 hour tour (fort, monestary, walled city, straw market, and some emeralds that we don't need). This doesn't include any souvenirs or even lunch so we're probably looking at $200-$250. Thinking about staying aboard to enjoy a free lunch and some less crowded amenities. Would hate to miss a cultural experience but there has to be something better.

Please don't stay on the ship! Cartagena is unlike any other place you may see on a Caribbean cruise. It would be a shame to miss it.

Take a cab to the walled city and then walk around on your own. Its not far from the port, so I would imagine the cost is not bad. The architecture, churches, and the wall itself are amazing. Look for pics online.

Please don't stay on the ship! Cartagena is unlike any other place you may see on a Caribbean cruise. It would be a shame to miss it.

Take a cab to the walled city and then walk around on your own. Its not far from the port, so I would imagine the cost is not bad. The architecture, churches, and the wall itself are amazing. Look for pics online.

I would agree, but first take some time and read up on the history of Cartagena...it wasn't until after our cruise that I realized how important the city was in the 16th century Spanish empire.

Archived