Louis Cruise Questions - Cristal

jdennis

Has anyone recently taken a cruise in Greece on the Cristal? Embarking on 11/2/09 for four nights and need information on excursions to take (i.e. worst/best etc.)? I also hear the ship charges for water......even at dinner, is this true? Any information you may have on my destination with "Friendly Planet Tours" would really be appreciated!

Has anyone recently taken a cruise in Greece on the Cristal? Embarking on 11/2/09 for four nights and need information on excursions to take (i.e. worst/best etc.)? I also hear the ship charges for water......even at dinner, is this true? Any information you may have on my destination with "Friendly Planet Tours" would really be appreciated!

We have just come back from a 6 day cruise on the Cristal. As far as excursions are concerned it depends on your itinerary. Our tours were offered through our tour company Transat and I thought expensive. That being said, you are there and you might as well pay the piper and enjoy the sights. Watch the trips are quoted in Euros.

The ship does charge for water if you buy it in the bottle, but they do not charge for water at any of the meals. You can also get ice from the bars at no charge. You can buy water at you first destination or before you go on the ship. Some rooms have a fridge.

willymakeit

• 3 months later...

Hi! My mom, me and some family members are planning to take the Louis Cristal cruise in September - the Greece and Turkey cruise. Thanks for the tip about water, we'll be sure to take some on board. What about alcohol? Can we each take a bottle of alcohol or wine on board? We'd prefer to have drinks in the staterooms rather than paying crazy prices for cocktails on board.

Also, how would you recommend we pack - i.e., are there any formal nights on board or special events? And how were the shore excursions offered?

• 2 months later...
Hi! My mom, me and some family members are planning to take the Louis Cristal cruise in September - the Greece and Turkey cruise. Thanks for the tip about water, we'll be sure to take some on board. What about alcohol? Can we each take a bottle of alcohol or wine on board? We'd prefer to have drinks in the staterooms rather than paying crazy prices for cocktails on board.

Also, how would you recommend we pack - i.e., are there any formal nights on board or special events? And how were the shore excursions offered?

I am also sailing in September on the Cristal. Leaving Istanbul on the 19th. There is some info on Cruise reviews on this site regarding the Louis Cristal. Is it worth getting a roll call going for a 5 night cruise?

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am cruising on the Cristal this summer for the 3 Continents tour. This will be my first cruise on the Cristal. Any comments/suggestions?

My friend and I are also taking this cruise this summer. Departing July 2. We have decided to arrange our own tours rather than book through the cruise lines. Have you decided on any excursions?

Hi Sert,

We are on the Cristal, sailing June 11.

What companies did you use to book your shore excursions?

Hello,

We have booked a private driver for Egypt through Nile Blue Tours info@nileblueexcursions.com

I dealt with a fellow by the name of Hazeem. They are picking us up at Port Said and we will visit the pyramids, then go to the museum in Cairo or go shopping and get a bite to eat. They will then drive us to the port in Alexandria. Basically, we have been able to customize our itinerary. They cost is $135 US dollars per person for a group of 2-3.

I did some reading on various sites and this company seems to have a good reputation but I guess we will find out when we get there!

In Israel, we have decided to grab a taxi at the gate and not prebook. From what I've read when we dock in Ashdod we have to take a taxi from the port to the gates or take a shuttle and then get a different taxi into Jerusalem. Taxi's need a special pass to go past the gates. If you try to prebook then the taxi needs to get a special permit and this can cause confusion. We are going to take the taxi into Jerusalem and visit the old city. There are several walking tours but I have downloaded a self tour file for my iphone. Plan on seeing the Wailing Wall, the Dome, and getting a bite to eat. Haven't really decided on the total itinerary,

In Istanbul I am planning to walk/taxi because the three places I want to see are quite close to one and other (blue mosque, Topaki Palace, Grand Bazaar or Spice Bazaar).

My travel partner plans on watching the World Cup game on the day we are in Istanbul so I will meet up with him hopefully at a cafe near the port.

We are leaing the cruise in Crete where we plan to rent a car and spend a week exploring. We plan on taking a ferry to Santorini for our last day and then a late night ferry back to Athens for our flight home!

I see that you are also Canadian. I am from Hamilton and am flying out of Toronto. Where are you from? Is the June 11th cruise also the Three Continent Cruise?

I would love to hear any tips you have about the Cristal when you get back. I'd really like to know if there is any way to take alcohol on board...

;)

Hello,

We have booked a private driver for Egypt through Nile Blue Tours info@nileblueexcursions.com

I dealt with a fellow by the name of Hazeem. They are picking us up at Port Said and we will visit the pyramids, then go to the museum in Cairo or go shopping and get a bite to eat. They will then drive us to the port in Alexandria. Basically, we have been able to customize our itinerary. They cost is $135 US dollars per person for a group of 2-3.

I did some reading on various sites and this company seems to have a good reputation but I guess we will find out when we get there!

In Israel, we have decided to grab a taxi at the gate and not prebook. From what I've read when we dock in Ashdod we have to take a taxi from the port to the gates or take a shuttle and then get a different taxi into Jerusalem. Taxi's need a special pass to go past the gates. If you try to prebook then the taxi needs to get a special permit and this can cause confusion. We are going to take the taxi into Jerusalem and visit the old city. There are several walking tours but I have downloaded a self tour file for my iphone. Plan on seeing the Wailing Wall, the Dome, and getting a bite to eat. Haven't really decided on the total itinerary,

In Istanbul I am planning to walk/taxi because the three places I want to see are quite close to one and other (blue mosque, Topaki Palace, Grand Bazaar or Spice Bazaar).

My travel partner plans on watching the World Cup game on the day we are in Istanbul so I will meet up with him hopefully at a cafe near the port.

We are leaing the cruise in Crete where we plan to rent a car and spend a week exploring. We plan on taking a ferry to Santorini for our last day and then a late night ferry back to Athens for our flight home!

I see that you are also Canadian. I am from Hamilton and am flying out of Toronto. Where are you from? Is the June 11th cruise also the Three Continent Cruise?

I would love to hear any tips you have about the Cristal when you get back. I'd really like to know if there is any way to take alcohol on board...

;)

Hi Sert,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I did not read the thread very closely. The June 11 cruise on the Cristal is for Greece/Turkey. We will be visiting Istanbul and plan on doing the same - walk/taxi.

Small world, we are from Brampton. Our plans include visiting family in England who are joining us on the cruise. I will post any tips about the Cristal on our return.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is my first post and will be cruising on the Cristal on the 9 July 7 days turkey and the Greek islands. We will be staying in Athens 2 days prior to the cruise hoping to catch up with other on this cruise I'm not sure what optional tours to take any suggestions ? i

• 3 weeks later...

I took the 4 day cruise on Aquamarine. We did not take any of the offered cruises. What I recommend you do is go to Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com) and go into the forums pages. Go to the specific forum for each port that you will be visiting. Then search using the terms cruise stop. You will find a lot of information from previous posters. There is info on what excursions may be worth your while as well as suggestions as to how you can do each city on your own. The cruise excursions use big buses and put at least 50 passengers on each bus. If you don't mind touring this way, go ahead and book, but you can do every port / city much cheaper either on your own or by booking a private tour independently.

Archived