Cruisin' with Toddler (help!!)

pmoodevlin

we cruised NCL w/ our 9 month old awhile back and are taking her (now 2 years old) on the Oosterdam in April. Just a lot of toys, diapers if they're not potty trained, an umbrella stroller for those long walks and it helps to have a suite so you can play they're favorite videos-or buy a portable dvd player!! They love it and normally (at least on NCL) the passengers love the little ones, too! Just take a little bit of home with you!!!

we cruised NCL w/ our 9 month old awhile back and are taking her (now 2 years old) on the Oosterdam in April. Just a lot of toys, diapers if they're not potty trained, an umbrella stroller for those long walks and it helps to have a suite so you can play they're favorite videos-or buy a portable dvd player!! They love it and normally (at least on NCL) the passengers love the little ones, too! Just take a little bit of home with you!!!
thanks Amy--we considered the portable DVD player.. I guess it will be a good investment (thought Id get away from Barney for a few days!)

pmodevlin - ignore these vicous posts!! If we can tolerate the nasty attitudes, they can tolerate a fussy toddler! Definetly take Barney with you - if it's a staple at home, it will be soothing on ship. I know that I had great reception from fellow passengers on NCL - beginning to think the nagging older crowd of HAL may not appreciate the youth that travel the world!! They wonder why I get defensive.......

pmodevlin - ignore these vicous posts!! If we can tolerate the nasty attitudes, they can tolerate a fussy toddler! Definetly take Barney with you - if it's a staple at home, it will be soothing on ship. I know that I had great reception from fellow passengers on NCL - beginning to think the nagging older crowd of HAL may not appreciate the youth that travel the world!! They wonder why I get defensive.......

There you go again. No one should have to "tolerate" anything. I'd expect that anyone acting up in the dining room would be removed - whether a toddler, a teen, a gen-Xer or a senior.

What vicious posts? Were there some entries removed?

Or is expecting a parent to remove a fussy child from a public area vicious? It is, or should be, or at least used to be, standard operating procedure.

The only one(s) who should be forced to "tolerate" a fussy child are the people watching that child. It's called common courtesy.

What vicious posts? Were there some entries removed?

Or is expecting a parent to remove a fussy child from a public area vicious? It is, or should be, or at least used to be, standard operating procedure.

The only one(s) who should be forced to "tolerate" a fussy child are the people watching that child. It's called common courtesy.

Right on RuthC!

If we can tolerate the nasty attitudes, they can tolerate a fussy toddler!

I could not disagree more. Any disruption more than momentarily should be handled swiftly whether at the movies, in church, in a restaurant on land, or on a cruise.

Any,

Sorry but I think you took the posts too personally. I think that whether on HAL or NCL, people would enjoy a well behaved child. You made a comment about "nagging older crowd" but who better to spoil a child that a grandparent. I don't think anyone (or at least most people) would mind having a child on board. But by the same token no one should expect that their crying infant should be a pleasure to others while dining.

As Ruth said, it's just common courtesy to leave until the child calms down.

Leave buffet if child fusses/cries and go to cabin for room service. :D
If child fusses/cries to cause neighboring cabins to be unable to tolerate the noise, the fussy child can always be removed to the engine room. :p :) :D

:eek: Traveling on Zaandam 4/16 with a 5 year old and 23 month old.. The 5 year old im not worried about.. anyone have any advice on keeping the baby occupied?

I hope you don't think some of these nasty comments were directed at you because as I read it you were only asking for advice.

So here is my advice.

Put up a sign that says "For all you grandparents who miss your grandchildren I will let you coo at, make silly faces and say silly things to, even hold for a minute. There is a fee that I leave up to you to donate to a tsunami relief fund."

This way everybody will befefit.

Have a great cruise.

Archived